Dreamfoam questions

First of all, I’d like to say this forum and website are amazing resources! I have already crossed off several possible choices based on information I’ve read here, and I feel it’s saved me a lot of trouble, money, and frustration! Many thanks for all the wonderful work you do to Phoenix and all the people who post here!

I’m looking for some info and advice and would greatly appreciate any input.

I am in the process of replacing my ancient bed. It’s the one I’ve used since I was a kid! I’m 44 years old!! LOL The mattress has been replaced once or twice, and I’m currently using a no-name 2" memory foam topper on that. I wake up every morning with a headache and feel I never get a good night’s sleep. To complicate matters, I have developed acid reflux and have been sleeping on a foam wedge for the past few months. This sleeping position makes me even more uncomfortable, but I don’t blame the bed for that part! Regardless, I hope eventually I’ll be able to do away with the wedge.

Normally, I’m a side sleeper but the wedge has made me sleep on my back lately. However, if I can ditch the wedge, I will mostly sleep on my side. I am 5’7" and weigh around 135 lbs, if that matters.

I am very interested in a foam type mattress, either latex or memory foam gel. Based on info I have read here, I believe Dreamfoam would be a good company to go with. They seem to offer good quality and very reasonable prices. I just don’t have the money to spend on a TempurPedic or the like. I have yet to go to a store and lie on a foam mattress, but I hope to do that in the next few days.

The two I am most interested in are the Ultimate Dreams 13" Memory Foam Gel and the Ultimate Dreams 10" Latex. I tend to prefer a softer mattress, and I have read that foam mattresses can be very firm. The reviews of these seem mixed in this regard. I suppose “firmness” is just a very subjective matter. So, I understand the importance of trying them out, especially since the Dreamfoam mattress is not returnable. I’ve read the 13" Memory Foam Gel is most like the TempurPedic Cloud Luxe, and it shouldn’t be much problem finding one of those to lie on. However, what kind of mattress would be most comparable to the Ultimate Dreams Latex? And where might I find a store that has something comparable? I live in Culpeper, Virginia.

My other concern is with some of the reviews of the Ultimate Dreams Latex that I’ve read on Amazon. People are saying that the density of the foam of these mattress has been changed from 2.35lbs to 1.5lbs. Now, I really don’t know what that means, but the reviews indicate this affects durability? Is this true and if so, should this dissuade me from this mattress in any way? Also, while most of the reviews are very positive, it seems like those who have updated their reviews or waited a while to write them indicate they aren’t as comfortable after a few months to a year. This concerns me quite a bit as even $500-600 is quite a large amount of money to spend for something that might not be as comfortable a year on. I’d certainly hope to get 5-6 good years out of this purchase, and would like to get more than that, but perhaps that isn’t realistic with this type of mattress?

The frame I am considering buying is shown here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MISZOC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=211Q46NTHJMH3&coliid=I1HCH3TEXV4GSC
Would it be suitable for these types of mattresses?

If anyone has any info that you think would help me, I’d be so happy to read about your experiences. Thank you so much for your time and again for all the work and valuable information on this website!

Hi loco,

Besides the fact that firmness or softness is very subjective and relative to the body type, sleeping position, and individual perceptions of each person … there are thousands of foam mattresses that range from very firm to very soft. There are different types of foam (polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam) and all of them come in a wide range of softness levels so there is no “standard” firmness level for a foam mattress. Regardless of reviews about the comfort or softness of a mattress which may have very little relevance to what a mattress will feel like for you and which I would take with a big grain of salt (see post #13 here) … the goal is always to find a mattress that is a good match for you rather than for someone else who may be very different from you.

Yes … most people (and Dreamfoam as well) have said that it is a reasonable approximation of the Cloud Luxe in terms of softness/firmness (perhaps a little firmer) but it will have a different “feel” because the foams used in the mattress are different from the Cloud Luxe.

You can read more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here. To find a comparable mattress that is available locally you would need to find a mattress that uses the same materials and components in a similar thickness and firmness level to one of the firmness options that the Ultimate Dreams latex has available (you can choose the firmness level of the comfort layer which means that it isn’t a specific mattress design). This may be difficult to find and would involve calling local retailers or manufacturers and asking if they have a latex hybrid that uses 3" of talalay latex over a polyfoam support core with a polyfoam quilting layer. Mattresses that have at least 3" of Talalay latex on top would give you a very general sense or reference point of what Talalay latex feels like even if the softness level or the overall “feel” of the mattress may be very different because of the many possible differences in design even between two mattresses that use the same materials.

You can read my comments about this in post #108 here and the posts it links to. At your weight it won’t make a significant difference in terms of durability because the most important part of the durability of a mattress are the top layers.

Some of the better possibilities or options I’m aware of that are in reasonable driving distance from Culpeper, VA are listed in post #9 here.

Phoenix

Wow, Phoenix! Many thanks for the thorough and helpful response! I very much appreciate the info, especially the local options for checking out mattresses. Looks like a trip to Fredericksburg is in order! Also, it’s great to know the above-mentioned concerns about the density change are not something to worry about.

I’ll let you know what I end up with and hopefully I’ll remember to post my thoughts whenever I make the purchase and have time to evaluate it. Thank you again!

Hello,

First post, but long time reader. I’ve looked at DreamFoam Bedding and I am deciding on the Ultimate Dreams Supreme Gel 12". It appears to be firmer then the 13" model, but not too firm.

Hi loco,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing.

@ griff215

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

After looking around a bit more, the EuroTop Latex from Dreamfoam has come into the equation. I was wondering if anyone has any input as to the difference in feel between the EuroTop Latex and non EuroTop Latex? Is the EuroTop much plusher feeling or is the main advantage the fact that you can swap the latex layer out?

You can choose the ild of the top layer in either before you order so it could be either firm or plush depending on your preference. The main advantage of the euro top In my opinion is the zippered cover to change the top layer out if it is not suitable for you. I believe there is not a return policy on amazon so this might be the best option if you are not positive on what firmness you need.

Thanks for the info, Everready073. That is definitely an advantage to consider.

I was able to check out the TempurPedic Cloud Luxe Breeze today, as well as the Supreme Breeze. I liked both, maybe the Supreme Breeze more. I have read the Ultimate Dreams 13" memory foam gel might be somewhere between these two with regard to firmness/feel. If that is the case, it might be the one for me. What I don’t understand is that, to me, the Supreme Breeze felt plusher than the Cloud Luxe. I thought it would be the other way around. Do I have them mixed up?

Hi Loco,

The Supreme Breeze is “rated” by Tempurpedic as being “extra soft” and the Luxe is rated as being “ultra soft” which is a little softer. Firmness and softness can be quite subjective though (especially if there was some time in between testing each mattress because our memory of subjective perceptions are not particularly accurate) and it can also depend on the age of each mattress and whether they were both broken in, on temperature differences in the environment around them, on how long you were lying down on each mattress (memory foam can take some time to warm up and soften).

Phoenix

[quote]

The Supreme Breeze is “rated” by Tempurpedic as being “extra soft” and the Luxe is rated as being “ultra soft” which is a little softer. Firmness and softness can be quite subjective though (especially if there was some time in between testing each mattress because our memory of subjective perceptions are not particularly accurate) and it can also depend on the age of each mattress and whether they were both broken in, on temperature differences in the environment around them, on how long you were lying down on each mattress (memory foam can take some time to warm up and soften).

Phoenix[/quote]

Interesting. Well, they were in two different stores, so I suppose temperature could’ve played a part as well as age. I didn’t think to ask how long they’d been on the floor. It sure does go to show that there are many variables that affect your perception of softness. Thanks again for your insight, Phoenix!

Does anyone know if the Dreamfoam people are working right now? I sent an email Friday morning and haven’t received a response. I know it’s the holidays. Maybe they are off? The only thing holding me back from ordering is the response to a few questions in my email…

Hi loco,

They should be open today but they may have some backlog over the weekend.

A phone call might get you an answer to your questions faster than waiting for their email reply.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. I did hear from Chuck and feel pretty confident I’m going to go with the Ultimate Dreams 13" memory foam mattress. I’ll be sure to report back once I have the new mattress and have had some time to decide what I think.

Thanks so much for all the assistance! Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

Hi loco,

I’m glad you were able to connect and have your questions answered.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have slept on it for a bit.

I hope you have a great new year as well!

Phoenix.