Dreamfoam Total Latex or Christeli choices

HI, this forum has been a tremendous resource which I have been reading for several months now. But its finally time to pull the trigger on a new mattress to replace the 12+ year old hard innerspring.

I’ve read so many topics I think my head will explode, but I do believe I re-read many of the other key articles recently to refresh. Originally started shopping thinking about getting a cheap bed off the likes of Amazon, but now am looking to spend more and get more lasting value.

Specifics are I am sufficiently dense myself (300) and a back sleeper, and my spouse is prob 200 or so, side and back sleeper… I have liked the medium-firm to firm memory foam beds I have tried (tempurpedic for example) and my wife seems to like the feel memory foam as well. I recently tried some all latex mattresses and have looked into them due to the idea of durability.

I really am drawn to the feel of the good memory foam beds and the way you mold into them. But I don’t want one too soft. The latex feels ok but different. It has the springy feel more akin to the spring mattress, just that is without the springs that I don’t like. I do like that latex is easier to get in and out of. I just cannot go for an innerspring anymore.

With all my research, I am considering the total latex from Dreamfoam, due to what i believe would be good quality, fair price, and good customer service. I know also if I err on some of the mattress customization, that adjustments can be made. I am a bit gun shy on the final purchase however, because I feel like despite the likely durability advantage for me an my size, the feel of the good foam beds I have tried has so much more appeal. The latex just feels ok. The foam has some wow factor for me right now.

I am also heavily considering the Danieli or Charleston from Christeli. And maybe Lux Estate. They appear to have good quality, the prices are fair too, and the customer service i have encountered so far has been good. I know the foam quality is good and the density for the memory foam is at least 5.3 as with being heavier I can’t go with less density. It is easy to see the construction of each of their mattresses and I like that they give you that information. I like the split construction, the edge support, and flippable core, which may help a bit if we need to soften it up when we get it.

The recommendation to me from Christeli was the Danieli, but it has a bit less memory foam and a less cushy top than the Charleston. Actually they suggested the Lux Estate first due to the latex core, and this is my dilemma. Most hybrid mattresses have latex comfort layers and a poly foam core. The Lux Estate is sort of reverse. The latex is the support layer, and the top is the memory foam, which I think I like the feel of. If I really like the foam feel on top, I am wondering if its really worth the extra money for the latex core, considering I feel that their ortho core foam is probably pretty good. And in general just wondering if maybe in my case the Dreamfoam total latex wouldn’t make for longer durability.

I think to me, either company, I will get a good product. I am probably leaning toward a Charleston from Christeli (at least as I type this) because even though I might like the firmer top of the Danieli, my wife might like the added cushion and cashmere cover on the Charleston. And the Charleston had a bit more memory foam thickness as well. I am concerned the Lux Estate may have a different feel than the other Christelis that are all memory foam; i worry that the latex core might slightly ruin some of the memory foam feel.

After all this time, too many choices. I almost got a Dynasty off Amazon, either their 14" or 15.5" but I feel like I may be making a better choice with the Dreamfoam or Christeli. If anyone has any thoughts I’d be glad to hear them. Thanks for having this great forum. I did check outthis post as well.

Hi regmattress,

You’ve probably read this with all your research but just in case you haven’t and since you are in a heavier weight range … there is more information in post #3 here that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

It seems though that you are already aware of and know the importance of more durable materials for higher weight ranges and all of the mattresses you are considering use higher quality materials that would be suitable for your weight range.

As long as the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

In other words … one type of mattress isn’t inherently better or worse than another as long as a mattress you purchase is a good match for you in terms of PPP, uses good quality and durable materials, and compares well to the other mattresses you are considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

As you know Christeli makes memory foam mattresses (even though two of their mattresses use latex support cores they are still primarily memory foam mattresses since you would be sleeping on memory foam) and the Dreamfoam Total Latex Mattress is an all latex mattress so these are very much an apples to oranges comparison that would be a preference choice. There is more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which types or combinations of materials or which types of mattresses you tend to prefer in more general terms will be based on your own local testing or personal experience.

I was about to link the last post you linked about the benefits of the latex support core in the Lux Estate but then I saw that you had already read it. It would certainly have a durability advantage even over 2 lb polyfoam in a mattress for those that are in higher weight ranges like yourself and while it would also have an effect on the overall “feel” of the mattress … it certainly wouldn’t ruin the “feel” of the memory foam comfort layer. It would add a little bit more resilience or springiness under the memory foam which some people may prefer.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Again … I would always keep in mind that no matter how much research you do the only way to know with any certainty how any mattress will feel for you or whether it will be a good match for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own personal experience.

You are certainly looking at some very good choices but once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I’m glad you didn’t give in to the temptation to purchase one of the Dynasty mattresses since both of them probably wouldn’t hold up very well with your body weight.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you pull the trigger :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix, as usual, for all the helpful thoughts and information.

I’ve come to discover there are lots of great choices out there locally and on the internet for shoppers. It takes a long time to sort through. Lots of folks don’t get to take the time to do that. This forum is very valuable for those who find it.

There are a lot of those companies and employees that provide these great mattress choices as an alternate to the big box and large chain stores, which sell the ‘name brand’ products for inflated prices and ‘big sales’. I like that this forum gives folks a chance to find out about all the other good choices.

Placed an order today for the Christeli Lux Estate. We’re very much looking forward to when it arrives!

Hi regmattress,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

MATTRESS IS ON THE WAY. can’t wait.

Hi regmattress,

That’s good news!

Waiting for the delivery of a new mattress once you’ve made your choice is sometimes the hardest part of the whole process. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

thanks, first night was awesome. I even had dreams…

after this post, its to bed for night two. More this weekend. I think this is a great product, quality made, wife is ecstatic.

was a beast to haul upstairs, but packed very well, and ZERO chemical smell or offgassing. Could have slept on it right away but we waited one extra day. Since the mattress was only packed a few days ago, it didn’t even make the whooshing noise like the ones left in a box for months on end. It was about 95% to shape in less than an hour.

Materials, finish, stitching, all very nice, and much nicer than what i saw at some mattress stores and especially better than the cheap costco mattress.

Two piece construction is a real plus to me as were the grab handles, especially for getting it set up. The cashmere top felt ice cold to the touch at the start, now we have sheets and mattress protector over it.

I can sit on the side of the bed and it doesn’t completely cave, the edge support is quite helpful…

We reused our old boxsprings with a layer of pegboard atop it to spread out the load more evenly and have some holes for venting.

Its softer than I thought I would like, but I think its just about right for my wife. I am certain I will adjust and i immediately within a minute of laying on it could feel that my back was being supported (unlike my old mattress)… I can tell the latex foam base was a good choice.

Hi regmattress,

Thanks for sharing your initial comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

So far so good!

Phoenix

quick follow up on our Christeli Lux Estate king mattress purchase from about 8 months ago.

My wife is absolutely in love with the mattress. She would give it an A+. She constantly says how much she loves it. I also like a lot. I’m a heavy dude, and so far the Lux with its latex base and memory foam top piece seems to be holding up well. I can tell it’s broken in a bit and softened a bit, but i really mean ‘just a bit’. No divots or anything from what i can tell, in no way is it wearing out.

The edge support plus latex base is amazing. I can sit on the edge of the bed and only the foam top part gives way. I must say the edge support really does its job. You can sleep on it all the way to the edge.

The foam has a nice feel but its not the gooey foam of the Tempurpedic. But it is a great feel. So to be clear, it’s not a copy of a Tempurpedic, but it is a quality piece. The cashmere cover was gorgeous and it is obvious it is hand crafted, and i mean that in a good way. I can’t stress enough that it is a nice looking piece.

The two piece design is flexible, i have rotated the top piece once already. I figure if i do that twice a year, i can prolong the life of the foam. That’s just a guess, not any kind of scientific observation.

The mattress sleeps a little warm, but nowhere near what i imagine more of the foam mattresses are like. As such, it’s only really noticeable in the summer. In the winter it helps you stay warm and keep the heat down.

I am fairly certain the base with edge support will hold up forever. I could decide in a few years down the road to just replace the top foam, with a like replacement, or a 6" latex mattress over the top. I have learned that some will love the memory foam and it’s slow reaction time, some folks may like the rubbery bounciness of latex. For now I love what we have. The Christeli foam is good and feels nice and is quality but it’s not the same oozing into quicksand feel of the classic Tempurpedics.

I would highly recommend the Christeli products to anyone who is mattress shopping, and particularly to the ones worried about making a purchase sight unseen, the whole order process was great. Real professional customer service on the phone…followed up with several emails on the transaction. Also as I recall, follow up phone call as well. Christel.com has a new look on the website too, long overdue but it looks fantastic as well. Don’t be afraid to pull the trigger with a Christeli.

Hi regmattress,

Thanks for taking the time to share another longer term update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your mattress worked out so well for you.

Phoenix

It’s been a bit shy of one whole year. My wife still is giddy about the mattress. I like it too. Held up pretty well (i rotated the foam topper today). The foam has softened a little but I would say ‘as much as expected’. No divots or anything. I’m pretty heavy so that fact that it’s not shot is good. You do get warm sleeping on it, but my wife likes that, she can sleep with less blankets and winter is coming up. i usually have to cool down in front of the fan for a few minutes. It’s not a huge amount of warm, just cozy warm. I believe the latex base is fantastic. I still would prefer something a bit firmer but my wife thinks its perfect. I think a lot of people would like the product.

The foam feels great at the end of a long day. I’ve slept on some innerspring guest beds and hotels this past year and each time i do, it reaffirms how much better feeling a good foam mattress is instead of feeling those springs dig into you.

Hi regmattress,

Thanks for sharing another update after a year on your mattress … I appreciate it once again :slight_smile:

Phoenix