Dreamfoam UD vs local store-moving to new city

Hello! I will be moving to Alhambra, CA from out of state in two weeks and am having trouble deciding on where to buy my mattress from. After reading through the guides on this site I have narrowed my choice down to a latex combination mattress (Can’t afford pure latex). My budget is about 600 for a queen bed although I am considering buying a full size to cut costs and get a nicer mattress if necessary.

After some research I was considering the dreamfoam ultimate dreams on amazon or going to alhambra and visiting dreamland discount mattresses in covina as they come highly recommended by this site. The only thing is that I would have to most likely spend a few days sleeping on the floor as I will be arriving Saturday and they would most likely not deliver until Monday or Tuesday ( I called and they said it usually takes a few days and that’s only if they have the mattress I want in stock).

I am 5 ft 7, 120 lbs, and almost always a side sleeper. My current mattress is too firm and has been giving me some hand numbness due to shoulder compression I think. I tried out some mattresses and generally like something in the middle range of firmness. I do not like memory foam as I don’t like the feeling of sinking in.

My question was if getting the dreamfoam UD would be better, or if I should wait and test some mattresses out at dreamland mattress store and just spend a few nights in my sleeping bag. Are there better options in store than the dreamfoam UD? Are there other options I should consider? Are there places to test dreamfoam mattresses? (I’m in Seattle currently).

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the extensive post!

Hi sleepyallthetime,

There are only two ways to choose a mattress regardless of your body type or preferences. The first is based on your own careful and objective local testing. If you are looking at an online purchase that you can’t test in person then the second would be with a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer. They are in the best position to “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the highest chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

[quote]After some research I was considering the dreamfoam ultimate dreams on amazon or going to alhambra and visiting dreamland discount mattresses in covina as they come highly recommended by this site. The only thing is that I would have to most likely spend a few days sleeping on the floor as I will be arriving Saturday and they would most likely not deliver until Monday or Tuesday ( I called and they said it usually takes a few days and that’s only if they have the mattress I want in stock).

My question was if getting the dreamfoam UD would be better, or if I should wait and test some mattresses out at dreamland mattress store and just spend a few nights in my sleeping bag. Are there better options in store than the dreamfoam UD? Are there other options I should consider? Are there places to test dreamfoam mattresses? (I’m in Seattle currently).[/quote]

I’m not familiar with the specific mattresses that they have at Dreamland so I think that the first thing I would do is talk with them to see what they carry that may be similar to the Dreamfoam mattress you are considering (or what they have in the same budget range) so you can make some initial comparisons and decide on whether you want to wait till you go to Almambra or not. Dreamfoam has some very high quality/value choices but they are only available online.

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which you can use to make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I can’t answer what you “should do” because these types of questions are always up to your own preferences and what you are most comfortable with. Some people would be more comfortable with a local purchase that they can test in person while others are very comfortable with an online purchase from a knowledgeable online manufacturer that can give them good guidance. Dreamfoam is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and the quality and value of the mattresses they sell and they compete well with the best in the industry for those that are comfortable with an online purchase.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Seattle area are listed in post #2 here and the list for the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles region is in post #2 here.

Phoenix