DreamFoam Ultimate Latex

I’ve been doing quite an extensive amount of research on mattresses. I’ve certainly considered SelectFoam, Flexus Comfort, TempFlow, as well as visiting some local manufacturers. However, I tend to move around fairly often (every 3 or 4 years), which forces the decision of what do I do with a mattress every single time (and so far, I’ve always just left it behind). This is the reason why I’m not necessarily looking for a mattress to last me 10+ years, but rather than that is reasonably priced (<$1000), firm and lasts ~5 - 7 years. So far, I’ve been seriously considering the DreamFoam Ultimate Latex from Amazon (link below), as it allows me to customize firmness to my liking. I tend to prefer very firm beds, which most foam mattress just don’t have.

My only concern with the Ultimate Latex is the 1.5lb density base foam. The company was previously using 2.35lb but have since switched to the 1.5lb. Based on my research (particularly from here), I should be looking at something >1.8lb. Does the value proposition of this mattress still hold given the lesser density base foam? I’ve read pretty positive reviews of the company so far on the boards, but just want to confirm that it’s still “good” purchase that should last me at least a couple of years before seriously sagging.

Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Mattress-Ultimate-Dreams-Medium/dp/B00CP85RXK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394054903&sr=8-2&keywords=dreamfoam

Hi db729,

In most cases the base foam isn’t the weak link of a mattress so for most people that aren’t in a higher than average weight range and who make a suitable firmness choice it would be fine. There is more about this in post #2 here and the posts it links to. The comfort layers are the biggest factor in the durability and useful life of a mattress and the latex is a very high quality and durable material.

Of course the “value” of a mattress depends on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you but they would certainly make a durable and good quality and value choice for most people compared to most other mattresses in their budget range or even budget ranges that are considerably higher.

Phoenix

That’s extremely helpful. Thanks Phoenix!

Are you familiar with a brand called SilverRest? I went to a local distributor that sold a SilverRest pocket coil queen size for ~$500. Laying on the mattress, I really like the support that the mattress provides. I’m fairly neutral to “sleeping in” vs “sleeping on” the mattress, just prefer something firm as previously mentioned - so not particularly pickier about feeling of coil vs foam vs latex. From the sales person, I was told this is mostly a local brand within Southern California. As a result, not particularly well-known and not much information online. I believe they sell a foam version on Amazon, but I’m looking specifically at the coil version.

It’s a toss up between the Ultimate Latex and this SilverRest. My gut feeling is that the Ultimate Latex is likely higher quality and more durable. That said, there’s a “premium” to being able to a lay on a bed and like the support/feel that it provides. Depending on your opinion of SilverRest, I may end up choosing that given I’ve had the chance to test drive.

Hi db729,

Outside of your testing for PPP … a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it so if you are considering a SilverRest I would make sure you know the quality of all the materials and layers inside the mattress. You can read a little more about SilverRest in post #4 here and the links it includes.

I would never buy any mattress where you had to use a “gut feel” about its quality and I would always want to know the specifics of all the layers inside.

Phoenix