DreamFoam vs Original Mattress Factory Serenity

First, what a great resource, I am so happy I came across this site. Thank-you for all the work you do hear Phoenix!

I’m in the market to replace my 8 year old Original Mattress Factory Orthopedic EuroTop (king) with a new mattress.

I’ve looked at several stores, and most recently at OMF and their Serenity memory foam mattress, which felt pretty good to me.

Can someone tell me how this mattress compares to the dreamfoam 13" gem memory foam - both in feel and quality?

I think I am just about sold on the dreamfoam, but would like to make sure it is similar to what I have already tried.

On a side note, after reading through the threads here I see that to get the free pillow, I need to enter a checkout code on Amazon - where do I get that code from?

Thanks for everything!

Hi edh,

It seems to me you are down to choosing between “good and good” choices even though they are somewhat apples to oranges.

The Serenity uses 5 and 8 lb density memory foam and a 2.2 lb base layer which are all high quality materials. It is a firmer mattress and of course it is also more costly because the quality density of the foams are higher. You have tested this mattress so you have a good idea of what it feels like. the quality of the materials are not normally found in this price range.

The 13" gel foam uses 4 and 5 lb memory foam and has a 1.5 lb base layer. It is softer and of course much less costly (about half the price) but the density/quality of the foams are lower. It is just slightly firmer than the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe so if you test the Cloud Luxe you will have a sense of the difference between the “feel” of each mattress which of course would be an important part of your buying decision. Of course this is also great value and again you don’t normally see this quality of memory foam in a mattress in this price range.

You are down to good choices and your thoughts about how they each feel and perform and the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you are the best way to decide between them.

In quality and value terms it would be difficult to make a mistake even though they have a very different feel which will probably play a significant role in your choice.

All you have to do is email them, call them, or use their chat on their site and let them know your membername here before you make the purchase and they will give you the code.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick & detailed response Phoenix.

I had actually tried a Cloud Luxe last week, but the salesman was so pushy & annoying I didn’t spend much time on it, and don’t remember if I liked it or not!

I’ll need to make a trip back to spend some quality time on the Luxe and make my decision.

I’ll post back once I have made a decision.

Thanks again for the education.

-Ed

Ok, I’m sold :slight_smile:

I went and tried a Luxe again last night and liked it.
I would have liked just a bit firmer, so the DreamFoam should be perfect - based on what I’ve read here.

I also called Chuck to ask a few questions. What a great guy, very informative & patient with questions.

I used Prime so I should have it tomorrow for $3.99. I finally feel like I got my moneys worth from Prime now - haha (even if I am paying a bit more for the mattress - I’m tired of the couch)

I have been lurking in the shadows for a while now, and have to thank everyone on this site for awesome and thorough reviews! I talked with Chuck, and he is just as AWESOME as everyone says he is… super approachable and helpful! Anyhow, we are jumping in and purchasing the Dreamfoam 13" bed today. I am going to look for reviews for the frames sold through Brooklyn Bedding or Amazon, unless anyone feels like giving their 2 cents on that? I am mainly concerned about the squeaky cot sound that it looks like there is the potential for. Help? Thanks in advance, y’all!

Hi edh,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you did some good research, asked good questions … and most importantly made a great choice based on your own personal value equation.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it.

Phoenix

Hi SleeplessinFW,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

More information and sources for foundations are linked in the foundation thread here.

I’ve seen the same reports on “squeaking” with some of these types of frames but it seems that it comes from the lower support arms and if they are lubricated or if you add rubber washers then it goes away.

Phoenix

Got the bed yesterday and I love it! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Feels exactly as promised (just a bit former than the cloud luxe) - and is perfect.

I slept great last night, and love the bed and the feel of memory foam over our traditional mattress.

It was warm here yesterday (mid 80s) and the bed felt fine, I was not too hot as I feared I may be on foam. I’m planning to get a cover (bamboo? - suggestions welcome) to help with heat in the hotter months.

FWIW, this bed is sitting on a (cheap) king size frame, and our old OMF box springs. It sits fine and seems very stable.

I’m really glad I found this site and DreamFoam - both are far above and beyond expectations and saved me a lot of money! Thanks Phoenix!

Hi edh,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

If you mean a mattress protector then post #89 here has more information about the different types that are more commonly available and the tradeoffs involved in each. A wool/cotton cover is probably the best choice for humidity control and temperature regulation.

If you mean a mattress pad (which is thicker than a protector) … then post #10 here may be helpful in making comparisons between the many options available. I would bear in mind though that the thicker the mattress pad you use the more it will affect the feel, response, and performance of the memory foam underneath it.

Phoenix