Dreamium Mattresses -- Jamestown Hotel Augusta GA -- What to look for

I recently stayed at the Jamestown hotel in Augusta, GA, and was really impressed with the mattresses in the room I rented. I have since learned they were Dreamium mattresses, and from what I have read, not available for retail.

I’d be happy to call the hotel to try to find out the relevant specs, but I suspect the person who answers the phone won’t know these off the top of their head. Does anyone have any idea of retail equivalents to these kind of mattresses, or what kind of questions to ask someone who is probably primarily there to answer the phone and make reservations about their mattresses, in order to get specs that might translate to something I could use when out shopping?

Hi espoconnell,

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place which is also very unlikely).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

I don’t know of any other manufacturer that makes a mattress that they specifically describe as being similar to the mattress you slept on (and I doubt if one exists) so outside of buying a mattress that “feels similar” to you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP based on your own careful testing … the only way to buy a mattress that is the same would be to buy it directly from the hotel (if they sell them).

I would also be very cautious about buying any hotel mattresses in general (particularly if they don’t provide the specs about the quality and durability of the materials) because they are generally significantly overpriced and use lower quality materials than many other consumer mattresses that would be available to you in lower budget ranges. They are one of the most common sources of buyers remorse because lower quality and less durable materials can lead to premature softening and the loss of comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress much too quickly after a purchase (and foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties). You can read more about hotel mattresses in general in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix