Dri-Tec Mattress Protector, question of encasement vs fitted.

First post yay!

First, I would like to thank this site for being the most helpful mattress resource on the web. I quickly picked a platform for my new bed at Tatami. Which is quite the feat for me as when it comes to the mattress, yeah not so much. Think I have settled on Brooklyn Bedding though.

Now, I was thinking of getting the Dri-Tec mattress protector or the pack with the protector, encasement, and two pillow protectors (I have their side sleeper pillow). For either memory foam or latex is there a reason to use the encasement over the normal fitted sheet protector? Both?

It also claims to regulate temperature. Does anyone know about this or actually have it?

Hi Squishytaru,

The Tatami platform beds are certainly high quality and beautiful choices IMO and I can understand why you chose it :slight_smile:

As you probably know Dreamfoam is also a member of this site which means I also think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry so they would also be a great choice although they have a very wide range of different mattresses so there is still the challenge in choosing the mattress and materials that you would prefer and would be most suitable for your specific needs and preferences.

There is more about mattress protectors in post #89 here and more about mattress encasements in post #2 here but IMO the biggest reason to choose an encasement over a mattress protector that protects just the sleeping surface or the sleeping surface and the sides of the mattress (depending on the specific design of the protector) would be significant known allergies to dust mites or the need to protect the mattress against bed bugs. In most cases I would choose a mattress protector and pillow protectors but not an encasement.

Phoenix

I concur. It was just one of those things in a world of crap that stood out immediately as a nice looking quality product. While one can see the price it is obvious where it comes from.

Out of curiosity I called them today to see the weight limit of the Tatami Tall (I assume all of their platforms in general). As I had no idea how many people to entrust in the bed at once :wink: and how well it hold. They assured me it will support 1,000+lbs so that puts me at ease easily.

Thank you for your input. I may experiment with both of them once I get the bed.

After posting something else came to mind. That besides hair from our Siberian Husky somehow getting everywhere. That the cat goes under the bed sometimes. So an encasement would be useful for keeping pet hair or dander away from the mattress. This may or may not even matter depending on the mattress, but it came to mind.

Oh and did I mention I picked out a bed? Yes, I am surprised too :stuck_out_tongue:

After a chat with Jacob over at Brooklyn Bedding (best support/sales I have dealt with, and I work in retail as well as tech support for friends/family which can be very frustrating) he listened to my finalists. After extensive back and forth not a single time did my questions stump him, and they were not easy! I ended up settling on the Aloe Alexis.

Funny thing is I have never even felt a latex bed. I went on about each bed the GF and I had tried (using Brooklyn’s claimed Tempur equivalents as references) and how we felt about plushness and what we were looking for. What she liked and what I liked. That I didn’t want to drive to find a showroom with an actual latex mattress to try, but from what I have read here and elsewhere I think at least for the GF the latex mattress is really what we are looking for and superior as she doesn’t want to sink into the mattress, etc.

Anywho, long story short we will see how this works out as I know the Aloe Alexis is a good mattress and if I did happen to get it wrong different layers or even their foam line are only a request away.

I intend to make a full review covering the protector, tatami, mattress now and then etc. This way I give back to the community that gave to me. Perhaps someone who really wants to get it right the first time like I do/did and wants those random specific questions can benefit.

For example I had to do a little research to find the Tatami has a middle support leg (thread here has it) as the picture lacks that detail.

Hi Squishytaru,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made some great choices and one of the advantages of the Alexis is that you have two latex layers which gives you more of the feel and performance of latex and also has more flexibility in terms of layering options.

I think you’ve certainly done well with your bed and mattress choices.

I don’t think this would matter all that much unless you had significant allergies but even then it would be more an issue of dander in the air than in the mattress (although skin particles can also “feed” dust mites).

I’m looking forward to your update and comments when you receive everything!

Sometimes the hardest part is after the purchase and having to wait until you get to sleep on it.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=40992]Sometimes the hardest part is after the purchase and having to wait until you get to sleep on it.

Phoenix[/quote]

Absolutely :lol: