Dunlop or Talalay core for heavy person...

Hello, I am over 250 lbs and want to replace my firm spring mattress with a latex core. I already have a 4" 32 ILD Talalay topper that I have LOVE and use.

Is purchasing a latex core a practical/smart decision? Due to my weight, is Dunlop better? ( My 4" topper is too good to waste) Where would I buy a core if this is a good idea.

If I did not have the topper, I would not be in this predicament! :slight_smile:

Kind thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi sleepytime1,

[quote]Hello, I am over 250 lbs and want to replace my firm spring mattress with a latex core. I already have a 4" 32 ILD Talalay topper that I have LOVE and use.

Is purchasing a latex core a practical/smart decision? Due to my weight, is Dunlop better? ( My 4" topper is too good to waste) Where would I buy a core if this is a good idea.[/quote]

The choice between different type of materials and components in a mattress or different types and categories of mattresses is always a preference choice more than a “better/worse” choice. As long as the materials and components in a mattress are a good match for you in terms of PPP and are durable enough for your body type then they can make a suitable choice. Different types of people can have very different preferences about the types of mattresses they prefer so for example some people may prefer a innerspring/latex hybrid, some people may prefer an all latex mattress, and some people may prefer memory foam mattresses or a different category of mattress completely (see this article).

There is more about an all latex mattress vs a latex innerspring hybrid in post #13 here that can give you some sense about how innerspring compares to a latex support core but there are so many versions of each category of mattress that the most reliable way to know which type of mattress or materials you tend to prefer would be based on your own testing and personal experience.

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is also a preference choice not a “better/worse” choice in any weight range and in a suitable firmness level and design any type or blend of latex can also make a very suitable and durable choice for any weight range. There is more about the differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here and there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #7 here.

Some of the better online options I’m aware of for individual mattress layers and components (including latex support cores) are listed in the component post here.

While there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to make any specific suggestions … if you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) as a reference point and try and “match” them as closely as possible.

If that’s not possible then each of the manufacturers on the component list should also be able to provide you with some guidance when you talk with them on the phone about which of the support core options they carry would have the best chance of success for your body type and sleeping style in combination with your 4" topper.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I truly appreciate all your input on a possible latex core. I will absolutely be speaking to the companies listed here, and eventually report back!

Jut so you know, I relax every night reading all your wisdom! It is really relaxing, and help me go to sleep! :slight_smile:

Take care, and thank you for such a fast reply! You are amazing!

Hi sleeptime1,

Thanks for the kind words … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

You probably know this from your reading but with your weight and the topper you have I would be looking for something quite firm for your support core. While I would make your choice based on your more detailed conversations with the suppliers you are interested in dealing with … something “in the range” of about 40 ILD or so would probably be reasonable.

Phoenix

Consider perhaps getting a 6" dunlop base/core of 36 - 44 ILD which is suitably dense/firm from a co. like Arizona Premium mattress. Co . (Mattresses.net) and 'top" it with u’r current 4" topper. Call Ken to talk about it…they give honest advice, and great latex products.