Durability: Latex core vs. innerspring with latex comfort layers?

After reading more than I thought I ever would about mattresses (because there was so much more than I ever thought to them!) and going to our local showrooms (which only have the major brands and very few models with latex in the comfort layer) I’d like to get as durable a mattress as possible (to avoid further shopping in the next decade). :stuck_out_tongue: I’m wondering if inner springs would work their way into, say 19 ILD latex layers for example, and break the comfort layer down FASTER than having a layered latex core mattress?

And then there’s our comfort challenge: I liked medium to firm models (e.g. Tempurpedic Could Select and the Sealy Hybrid Ability Firm) and am a stomach and side sleeper, where as my wife liked soft to medium (Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and Sealy Trust Cushion) and is a dedicated side sleeper. But it’s been very difficult to find latex mattresses of differing densities in our area to try out; let alone trying to feel out the difference between Dunlop vs. Talalay method varieties. Thanks to your website I’ve realized that outside of my state there are mattresses made where we could choose a split latex model which could accommodate our individual preferences. But without a local store to try out the various firmness levels we’re feeling hesitant. Parklane Matresses in Portland offers a variety of hybrid innerspring-latex topper mattresses, but unfortunately they don’t have the zippered mattress covers to allow for adjustment down the road–we’re looking forward to trying out their selection though.

Do you know of anyone making adjustable latex beds that allow for the couple’s split in our area? Flexus Comfort and Design Sleep both offer great blends of things we think we’d like but we can’t lie on them to be sure :S

Thanks in advance for your guidance. Hesitant in Albany, Aaron

Hi aaroninalbanyor,

Innersprings that have connected coils joined with helical wire and lower coil counts will generally have an insulator over the coils to prevent any of the foam layers from sinking into the coils and even out the support surface under the latex. Pocket coils are fabric enclosed and generally have a higher coil count so there would also be no issues or concerns about the latex sinking into the coils. Either way, an innerspring mattress with latex comfort layers is usually a very durable mattress and is a preference for many people.

You’ve probably seen the Portland list here which has some very good options and post #2 here also has a few options in the rest of Oregon state including the Eugene area.

There is a Savvy Rest dealer in Eugene that offers split layering (in the second list) but I don’t know off the top of my head if any of the others offer split layering (you would need to call and find out).

Phoenix

Try CozyPure.com they offer spit zones in organic latex

Hi jimedreg,

Just to clarify … Cozy Pure uses 100% natural latex but not GOLS certified organic latex although as you probably know they are a member here which means that I think very highly of them and along with the other members here are one of the manufacturers that I would certainly recommend in terms of their quality, value, and service.

They are also a long way from the OP so they would involve a long distance purchase which means it’s always a good idea to do some local testing first when it’s possible to use as a reference point.

Phoenix