Durable latex option for B and B bed

Aloha! I’m looking for a durable latex mattress for my full size rental bed here on the island of Oahu. I know that I’m limited in what’s available here so I’m looking online and willing to try to make the shipping work (using a shipping consolidator).

We are limited on how deep the mattress can be to (preferred) 8" with 9" being the max.

The mattress would sit on a solid wood platform and as it is in our rental it may be the host to a 280lb man that is a side sleeper to a 100lb woman that is a stomach sleeper. We want it to be as comfortable as it can be for a wide range of folks/types.

We also want durability as it’s going to cost a fortune to ship here, we can’t afford to do this very often.

•We prefer latex for the environmental issues and find it to work well with Hawaii’s humidity and heat. We have had “latex” pillows that have gone brittle on us after about 4 years so this worries us. I don’t know if it was a Dunlop or Talalay latex or if it was 100% natural or blended or synthetic. But it didn’t last long for the price. We need to avoid that if possible. We have another set of latex pillows that are doing much, much better. (They are the “natural latex pillows” from allergy buyers club)

•Cotton cover with wool quilting is very much preferred due to the breathablity and moisture management that wool offers in the tropical climate.

•Ability to remove a layer and replace would be very nice and perhaps help cut down on the cost of “updating” the mattress after prolonged use.

•Ability to flip the mattress would be nice, but I think that our height restrictions will limit us to 2 layers. Depending on the suggestions, we may need a firm bottom and med/soft top and therefor we may not be able to flip.

•High quality zipper on the cover is necessary as we will need to remove the cover frequently to let it air out in the sun (the cover, not the latex!) and we don’t want the zipper to fail.

Suggestions? I’ve been eyeing SleepEZ.com as they seem to have the best selection. Our key concerns are durability, cost, comfort (across the board) and then material type. We don’t need organic, but the more natural the better.

Mahalo! Your feedback is much appreciated!
Denise

Hi MrsTiki,

This is usually a sign of exposure to ozone or ultraviolet light (air and sunshine) … both of which can degrade latex more rapidly and is usually the result of a cover that is too thin or otherwise unsuitable. There can be other causes as well such as exposure to certain solvents or heavy metals or even poor manufacturing or formulation.

The better online options I know of are the members here who sell online that are listed in post #21 here. Many of them sell latex mattresses and have different types of latex, firmness levels, exchange policies, designs, and costs available. I would look at their websites and then talk to the ones that most interest you or have the benefits and features that are most important to you and are the best “fit” for your personal value equation. They are all among the best value in the country although for many different reasons.

You’ve probably seen this but links to some of the better options in Oahu I’m aware of and feedback from some of the members here are listed in post #2 here which may be helpful with local testing that can be a useful guideline for an online choice.

Phoenix

Mahalo!

I got the sleepez.com from your post of all the online members and that’s what led me to them. I called and spoke with Shawn. He suggested I go with the blended Talalay with a firm bottom and soft top if the guests I have tend to be under the 200lb mark. (which they usually are) He said I could go with a firm bottom and med top if folks were more on the 200-300lb range. And while we do have a few, it’s rare.

I already have a 1" foam topper that I’ll keep on it as well.

And a note for Oahu/Hawaii shipping - SleepEZ.com ships to Hawaii about 5-10 times a month and the charge for a full mattress (2 X 3" layers) is only $99. This is quite affordable even at the larger sizes. You will pay just as much buying something of lesser quality locally, but this way you have the option to customize!

Denise

Hi MrsTiki,

As you know I think very highly of Shawn and SleepEz and they are certainly a great quality and value choice. He is also very knowledgeable and easy to talk with on the phone … as you experienced.

I didn’t realize that they made shipping to Hawaii so easy and inexpensive so thanks for letting us know about that as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix