"Durango" Denver Mattress

I tested and priced the Verlo “Grandeur Elite,” but it was a bit out of my price range, so I purchased instead a “Durango” full set (not delivered yet) from Denver Mattress. I tried several of their mattresses and this one felt the best and my muscles tested strongest on this mattress (using kinesiololgy). The cost was $499 on sale, and I was able to get the no interest financing, which I needed. I have 30 days to return it if I am not satisfied. Would you consider this to be a good alternative to latex and do you know of any known problems with it? Here are the specs for the “Durango:”

15 Year Non-Prorated Warranty
Mattress Height:12"

Construction
Quilt Layers:
Double Knit Ticking
1½" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1" BioFlex™ Soy Based Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
1¼" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1¼" of 1.8lb Density Convoluted Foam
1 Flex Net Insulator
Support System:
Coil Density: 744* Foam Encased,
INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED Coils (Queen Size)
14.5 Gauge Tempered Steel

*ALL coil counts are based on Queen Size mattress coil counts. Please ask your salesperson for details.

Hi espiritone,

I wouldn’t consider polyfoam to be an 'alternative" to latex no because they are very different in their properties and in terms of their response and durability. Latex is a much higher performance foam than 1.8 lb polyfoam.

Having said that … the Durango is a very good quality/value choice for a lower budget in its own right and uses higher quality materials and components than you would usually find in a mattress that was in this budget range.

There are no obvious “weak links” in the mattress in terms of materials and if you have tested it carefully and objectively for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) then IMO it would make a very good choice for your budget range.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix, for your honest, and valued opinion.

I find my new Durango Firm mattress from Denver Mattress to be a little too firm after only one night of sleeping on it, so far… I sleep mainly on my left side due to the sciatic pain on my right side. I noticed my left shoulder hurting and a little sore and my left hand numb after sleeping on my left side.

I read several posts here from those who purchased a 3" talalay topper from Brooklyn Bedding to help their “too firm” mattresses. I chatted today with Jacob at Brooklyn Bedding and he answered my questions regarding the topper. He recommended the Level 6 or 24 ILD topper .The full size price is $299, but he will take off $20 if I get it without a cover, as I have a very nice new mattress cover I could put over it. And he also said he would take off $10 since I mentioned this website. So my cost will be $269, with a one-time exchange if the firmness is not right. He said they have never had anyone request a refund, only exchanges.

Jacob said the talalay is 60% synthetic and 40% natural, which makes it more durable and longer lasting. Is this the consistency of most talalay latex, to combine synthetic and natural at this ratio?

Do you think buying this topper (without cover) should help with my above stated problem?

Hi espiritone,

The fist thing I would suggest is giving your new mattress some time because all new mattresses will go through an initial break in period and soften to some degree over the first 30 days or so. I would also make sure that your firmness issue is also because of the mattress and not anything that you are using over it (such as a mattress pad or a topper). It may also be worth reading post #2 here. I would suggest waiting a minimum of 2 weeks if possible.

Once you are past the break in period and if your mattress is still too firm … then a topper can be a good idea to soften a mattress that is too firm. You will find some topper guidelines in post #2 here that can help you make the best choice. Most people would tend to do best with a topper in the 2 - 3" range depending on how much extra pressure relief is needed and the other factors that are involved. In general … “just enough” is usually safer in terms of alignment.

Yes … the blended Talalay latex you will find ranges from 30% to 40% natural rubber (NR) and 60% - 70% synthetic rubber (SBR) and they are all good quality materials and the topper you are looking at is very good value as well.

If you mean a mattress protector then it’s probably a better idea to get the latex topper with the cover to protect it from ozone and ultraviolet light as well as other things which can cause it to oxidize and degrade prematurely. Latex needs a good cover rather than just a mattress protector to keep it in good condition over a longer period of time.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix, for your sage advice, which I will heed and proceed accordingly. One night is probably not a good test, so I will give it some more time before buying a topper.