Dust mite and mold allergy sufferer. Most allergy-friendly mattress?

I might be looking for a lot here, but I’m highly allergic to dust mites and mold (along with pretty much every other household and seasonal allergy). Through my research so far, I think I’ve decided on an all natural, all latex bed. No springs, no hybrids.

I’ve had a Sleep Number bed encased in a zippered dust mite cover (pillow too) for the last 3 plus years, but not really a fan. It hasn’t help my lower back pain like I was sold on in the store.

So, number one concern is something that will hopefully improve my allergy symptoms. Are any of the 100% all natural latex brands out there going to be more dust mite and mold resistant? Certain brands have certain certifications I should look for for allergy relief? And what brands are definitely 100% natural or organic as they claim? Also - between Dunlop or Talalay, anyone know if either would be better or more resistant to mold/dust mite allergies? And secondly, if it helps my lower back pain, great! I can live with the back pain, but the allergies are really getting to me.

I’m a mid 30s male, 5’7 about 160 pounds and use a CPAP. I’ve recently been successful at mostly side sleeping, but have been a stomach sleeper most of my life and still find myself on my stomach sleeping sometimes. Thanks for any advice!

Hi pressplayjustin.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear of the pain you’re experiencing on your Sleep Number. You are on the right track with regards to latex! One of our Trusted Members, Nest Bedding, has an excellent article on their website about latex and dust mites. The short version is: “Dust mites will eat and drink where their are sources of food and water, regardless of the surface it is found. Now, latex, wool, cotton, these materials tend to air out and breathe better than synthetics, and thus they are better [at repelling mites] because there is no water source for the dust mites.”

The best thing you can do is keep whatever you are sleeping on free of dead skin cells and water as your first line of defense against dust mites.

Latex in and of itself is antimicrobial and if cared for properly, more resistant to mold than other types of foam. This means having a proper base allowing for the necessary airflow. If, for example, you have (unseen) mold spores on your floor and then lay your mattress directly on said floor and leave it there for years, your mattress could potentially develop mold on the bottom. Whether it’s Dunlop or Talalay won’t make a difference here.

When a mattress is causing back pain, it is almost always lower back pain. The lumbar spine is the most difficult part of the human body to support. Sinking In too far can lead to a swayback position and cause back issues. Stomach sleeping is the most prone of all sleeping positions to sinking down too far in the pelvic area. In general, stomach sleepers should choose the thinnest firmest comfort layers that are comfortable. A good place to start is 1" of softer material so there is enough “softness” to cushion the bony parts of the pelvis. Alternatively, side sleepers will fall in the range of from 2" -4". Without an appropriate comfort layer, a side sleeper will end up with pressure points during the course of the night and could have symptoms of numbness, soreness, localized redness, or end up tossing and turning all night as your body tries to relieve the pressure. With combination sleeping it is usually wise to choose a comfort layer that is a little thinner than your “deepest” sleeping position would normally require (typically side sleeping) and then choose a support layer underneath that helps you to sink in a little extra when you need it. A middle layer or “transition layer” can be especially useful for those who sleep in multiple positions and it can help you to sink in enough to help with pressure relief and also help keep you from sinking down too far and exacerbating back issues. Innerspring designs that are more conforming like pocket coils or offset coils or different foams that are softer on top and become firmer faster when they are compressed (such as latex) also make very good choices here (although I know you’re looking for an all foam configuration, which is great too).

My Green Mattress started out as looking to solve the problem of allergies and sensitivities for the founder’s baby daughter. This is their all foam mattress. Nest Bedding has Natural All Latex and Certified Organic Latex options. Arizona Premium is also a great option, as does Sleep EZ.

Others you may wish to look into are:
FloBeds
Foam Sweet Foam
Latex Mattress Factory
LUMA Sleep
Sleep on Latex
Sleeping Organic

I hope this helps you get started. Do let me know if you have more questions.
NikkiTMU

Wow NikkiTMU, thank you so much for the detailed and thorough explanation and addressing my questions. I’m soo glad I found this site!

Also, glad to know I’m on the right path with all latex. Now that I’ve made some progress and done some more research, a few more questions have popped up.

What’s the different between “natural” vs “organic” vs “vegan” mattresses and is there one you’d recommended for a severe allergy sufferer (also, I don’t think I’ve mentioned this is my first post, I’m not allergic to latex, but just about everything else though!)

For certifications - GOLS, GOTS, eco-Institute, Greenguard Gold and other - is there one or 2 of these I should look for the most in regards to hopefully helping resist mold/dust mite allergens best?

I’m of course doing all the things my allergist recommends (washing sheets weekly in hot water, zippered pillow, fully encased zippered mattress cover, etc.) To me it seems like the less fabric and/or places for dust mites to live, the better. Now I’m wondering - if I bought a bed with a removable cover (or a DIY build) would it be a bad idea to not have or use a cotton or wool encasement cover for my latex? Meaning, just stacking the layers of latex on top of each other, putting the zippered allergen cover on, then the fitted sheet on my bed and that’s it? I think I gather the cotton/wool encasement usually acts as a fire barrier - but other than that - any drawbacks to sleeping without it?

If the above is a bad idea - is the wool and cotton used in many of these brands also dust mite and mold resistant as well? I see the GOTS certification frequently, wondering if these would mean in theory that it would be good for resisting allergens?

And finally, I noticed some brands only offer Dunlop latex. I see a lot in my reading that that Talalay makes for a preferable comfort layer in many cases. My first thought was to rule out brands that don’t offer both. However I’m wondering what the case would be for keeping those in consideration?

Again, a lot here I know. Any and all suggestions welcomed! Thank you for reading!

Hi pressplayjustin.

I’m glad I was able to offer you some useful information!

The truest difference between natural/organic/vegan latex is mostly just the name and, depending on the brand, the certifications. Many non-organically certified latex options follow organic procedures but haven’t applied for the organic certification. You can read some of Phoenix thoughts on organic vs natural latex here and more about the levels of organic certification here and about additional certifications here.

As far as I understand, none of these certifications actually test for mold or mite resistance.

The cotton/wool can offer a cooling or comfort aspect in some cases and, as you pointed out, a fire barrier. And, as natural fibers, have an inherent resistance to allergens. So, it’s not going to hurt you to leave it, but you don’t absolutely need it there either.

Generally speaking, Dunlop latex is firmer and more dense than Talalay latex and is sometimes compared to “pound cake.” Talalay latex is the most popular as a comfort layer because it can be made softer than Dunlop and is more consistent in its softness across the entire surface of the mattress. Dunlop however is also used in the comfort layers because of its firmer and less “lively” nature which is attractive to some who prefer its feel.

Some manufacturers prefer Dunlop because they believe it to be more durable and over all superior to Talalay…but some mattress manufacturers will swear by Talalay so it can be a toss up. It really will come down to the feel. Have you been able to lay on any latex mattresses?

NikkiTMU

I would look for a latex that is OEKO-TEX 100 Class 1 certified. As I understand GOLS has no emissions standard, but you can find GOLS latex that is also OEKO-TEX 100 Class 1 certified. Although this is an emission standard, sometimes allergies or auto-immune responses are exacerbated (or precipitated) by chemical exposure. Plus, it’s just better for your health.

Regarding mold, regardless of the claims, I’ve heard (anecdotally) that many people have found mold growth on latex. Regardless of the material, good ventilation is important to mitigate this issue. I would advise against placing any mattress directly on a solid surface.