DYI finalizing, including googledoc with all recommended Latex vendors with prices

This is a most interesting thread.

Thanks so much for the information about the size of the toppers, I appreciate knowing this. I don’t understand why manufacturers make toppers smaller, the sheets don’t need help to fit! And it looks odd, it feels wierd when you are near the edge, and makes less of your mattress useful.

As someone who owns the SleepEZ cover, I really love it and I think you will be glad you went with it. It has enough give to adjust to a slightly different sized layer. The cover can really change the feel of a mattress and this one leaves it with a great feel.

I think if it was me, if you are really sure you want to keep the undersized layers, I’d try using some polyfoam at the sides and see what happened and I would not glue them until I was sure they didn’t work as is (it’s pretty easy to unzip the cover and make any changes). If it doesn’t work out, no big loss and you haven’t done anything permanant. If it doesn’t work, and you’re really sure you want to keep your layers, then I’d trim the oversized one as last resort, since you can’t ‘untrim’ them once it’s done. But, yeah, that would bother me if they were undersized, too. Just my 2cents.

That is just BB’s return policy. They charge $75 to return a layer (this includes a prepaid return shipping label). The actual cost to ship one of these layers is around $28 (that’s the quote i got anyways) so it seems BB is charging a flat $50 restocking fee (which is reasonable).

I’m surprised that this hasn’t been mentioned before on these forums, or isn’t talked about often. I spent a lot of time reading these forums, especially every topic dealing with DYI, and don’t remember reading that ‘toppers’ are often cut smaller than advertised.

I think it would be incredibly helpful if Phoenix added some info about this to his ‘stock’ post he links to when people are considering DYI. It would definitely save them a lot of frustration down the road. Something as simple as saying: Be sure to inquire about the exact dimensions of each layer you’re considering to use by asking the vendor for the exact information pertaining to the latex layers. Most websites list the size of the bed the topper is designed for and NOT the real dimensions of the latex layers, for example a ‘full size’ topper is made for a full size bed, but is not necessarily the same size as a standard full size mattress, and is often 2-3" shorter on the width and 1" shorter on the length.

Hi SeanD,

I think that’s a good idea. It has come up from time to time on the forum but it’s not as big an issue with people who are only ordering toppers but as more people become interested in building their own DIY mattress then it’s likely to become a more common issue. I’ve added this …

… near the top of the mattress component and topper post here.

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I was seriously thinking about buying toppers from BB for a DIY mattress but based on this thread I may look elsewhere.