DYI Question

Hi folks,

After reading your posts and other information I have decided to go the DYI way and build a bed. I have just about everything figured out but I do have a question.

I am going to make a 10" bed out of Talalay latex and have considered the following configuration:

Comfort layer 25 ILD 2"

Transition layers of 32 ILD 2"
36 ILD 2"

Bottom Layer:

40-45 ILD 4"

My big question, before I order the latex is with the comfort layer at 25 ILD. I am a combo sleeper, about half of the time on my side and half the time on my back. I weigh about 220# and I don’t really have any back issues or other significant issues regarding my sleep, except that my 9 yr old innerspring is really sagging right now…back to the question, will a 25 ILD be a good comfort layer or should I go lower with that? I generally like kind of a firmer mattress but not rock hard. Any advice will be very much welcome. I should also add I am using a bamboo wool mattress cover and a bamboo mattress pad.

Any thoughts before I commit?

Hi radams,

I would make sure you’ve read post #15 here and the other posts it links to before going in the direction of a complete DIY construction. If you decide that the learning experience is worth the risk … then it would be reasonable to “expect” that you will make a few errors and unless there is a good return policy for the layers you buy that you may end up purchasing some extra layers.

Your design would be “in the range” that would be suitable for you and the criteria you mentioned but there are so many variables and unknowns involved that only your own testing or experience can really know whether the design would work well for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). If you have a good reference point and have tested a mattress that is very close to the design that you are considering (same type of latex, same ILD’s, same layer thicknesses, and similar cover) and it was a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or have at least tested a mattress that was “close enough” that you were confident that the design you are considering would be “different in the right direction” and would be a good match then your odds of success would be much higher.

Without this then you will be using your “best guess” for your original baseline design and then you could make any necessary changes to it using your actual sleeping experience as a reference point.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I appreciate your thoughts and articles on all of this. I have been on a latex bed and I really like the feel of it, as opposed to the inner spring that I currently have, so that is why I had decided to try this out. I also thought that by having the four separate layers I would have the ability to make changes over time if necessary without the expense of buying a whole new mattress, by simply purchasing a different layer with a change to the firmness, but I did see that you also point out that the thickness may have a lot to do with all of this. Anyway, I do think I am going to give this a try and see what happens because I both really like DIY projects and because at times I am hard headed…lol.

I do have one other question that you might be able to give me insight on. Have you any knowledge of KTT Enterprises? This is where I would be getting my foam and I wondered if you knew anything about this company. They seem to be reputable but I don’t really know. Also, I had added up the cost for this initial design and with everything I would be spending about $2000.00. The latex cost will be about $1500.00 of that. Is that what I should expect to pay or are there better deals out there? I am mainly concerned with the quality of the product but if there is a similar quality company out there that is less expensive than I am open to looking into that further. BTW this is for a regular king size bed…76x80.

Thanks again as I really am learning a lot on this site.

Rod :slight_smile:

Hi radams,

KTT Enterprises is owned by Frank Coffey who is the son of one of the founders of Latex International so he is very experienced and knowledgeable and has been in the business for a long time. A forum search on KTT (you can just click this) will bring up more feedback about them. They are also one of the suppliers included in the DIY component post #4 here.

The type of latex you are planning to use as well as the cover would make a difference as well as whether your total cost includes a foundation. Some of the online manufacturers that are members of this site that sell component latex mattresses (see post #21 here) are less than your $2000 total for King size and you would have the ability to exchange layers at little cost so I would make some careful value comparisons before you spent $2000 on a complete DIY mattress.

Phoenix

Very cool. Thank you again!! I may just go the route you mention. Again, I can’t thank you enough for all the resources.

Rod