Eco-Friendly Mattress Pad for an Eco-Friendly Mattress

Hi Phoenix! I’ve mostly narrowed down our choice for our next mattress to a latex mattress, and one of the important features of this mattress is that it is Oeko-Tex rated / free of harmful chemicals and irritants, etc. I know this forum is more related to the mattress itself, but I’ve been researching wool and bamboo and other natural mattress protectors, and wondered if you have any thoughts or recommendations on what might be a good mattress protector for my latex mattress? One that not only protects the mattress from stains and spills (we have young kids and a pet) but doesn’t take away from the natural features of the mattress and also would allow the mattress to breathe or whatever it needs to do, etc. I’ve read that latex foam retains warmth, so also if there is something you’d recommend that would be cooling ? Wool seems to be a good option but I’m not sure if that’s a good fit with the latex. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi ueem,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]
I know this forum is more related to the mattress itself, but I’ve been researching wool and bamboo and other natural mattress protectors, and wondered if you have any thoughts or recommendations on what might be a good mattress protector for my latex mattress?[/quote]

Take a look at the mattress protector post #89 here, and also here. There are quite a few options listed with explanations of the various types of mattress pads and protector styles. A thin polyurethane film will provide the most breathability and still be waterproof and also take as little away from the feel of your new mattress.

Bamboo just means that some of the fiber used in the cover of the mattress uses bamboo as the precursor for the viscose-dope used to create that fiber. Bamboo has a softer hand, but this is sometimes used as marketing to make people think the cover is some sort of “natural” or “organic” product.

All foams are insulators to an extent, but latex, specifically Talalay, tends to be the most breathable. Wool is also a very breathable material and also stores moisture inside the fiber itself so it’s very resistant to mold and mildew and this isn’t something that I would have any concern about with a mattress protector that has quilted wool covered with cotton. It is very commonly combined in a latex mattress sleep system.

While it’s not always possible to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful (including more information about wool batting).

I hope all of that gives you a good start on your research.

Phoenix