Eco Gel mattresses

After several visits to mattress stores, we came across the Therapedic Eco gel Blue Paradise which we both liked. Just read a post that said they got hot on this same bed. Anybody own this bed and would offer your opinion?

Hi mtjag,

I did a quick forum search and it doesn’t seem that anyone has mentioned this specific mattress previously on the forum. Hopefully any of the members here that have purchased it will see your post and share their comments and feedback about it.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences on a mattress though (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress or any specific material may be for you because each person can be very different and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here) either in terms of firmness or softness or in terms of temperature regulation.

Some memory foam designs and materials will sleep cooler than others so depending on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range, the specific design of a memory foam mattress, and the type of memory foam it uses, and on the type of mattress protector and sheets you use, you may find that you will be OK on some memory foam mattresses in terms of sleeping temperature even if you tend to sleep warmer on others.

There is more about some of the ways that can be used to cool down down memory foam in post #6 here and there is more about the many variables that can affect temperature regulation in post #2 here and the posts it links to that can help you make a more informed choice about the types of materials and components and the types of mattresses that will have the best chance of keeping you in a temperature range that you are comfortable with.

In very general terms … most people probably wouldn’t have a temperature regulation issue with this mattress but there may be a minority that do with any type of memory foam or gel memory foam because while gel memory foams can be cool to the touch, they tend to have a more temporary effect on sleeping temperature so they can help when you go to sleep at night but once the temperature equalizes the temperature regulation properties of the gel may not last throughout the course of the night (see post #2 here for more about gel memory foams).

It’s good to see that Therapedic listed the type and quality of all the layers in this mattress on their website (it’s very uncommon that a manufacturer lists meaningful specs for their mattresses) and while it’s not related to temperature regulation … I wanted to mention that all the materials in this mattress are good quality materials and there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of durability.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks so much for this information and the reply. This is some very good information and I will be reading through it all today. Thanks again.

I can provide a bit of feedback on the EcoGel line, as I’ve sold it as a Therapedic dealer. The gel memory foam they use in the upper layer is a nice product - they use the “liquid gel polymer”, as opposed to the “gel particle” version. I found it to have a more consistent feel than other particle offerings. The other memory foam in the deeper layers was also a nice 5# product. Overall, as Phoenix mentioned, it is a product showing no real weak links in componentry.

Regarding temperature regulation, I always have taken extra time to explain the realities versus the marketing behind gel and phase changing particles in memory foam. The visco-elastic foam will have different characteristics for heat distribution/exchange via convection and conduction as compared to latex or standard polyurethane foam. That’s just in the DNA of that type of foam. I always advise my clients to be cautious of any memory foam product if they are already a temperature sensitive (hot sleeping) individual While this mattress will feel a bit cooler to the touch initially, it will not make you sleep cooler. I know the marketing for products like these can lead you to believe otherwise.

Personally, I have not had issues with temperature complaints with this product, but I also take the time to vet people to make sure that the product is appropriate for their needs/expectations. I would take opinions, both pro and con, regarding a bed feeling hot or cold with a bit of a grain of salt. If you accept a memory foam product for what it is and then focus on the quality of the componentry, you should be in a good position to manage your expectations and make an informed decision for yourself.

I hope that information is helpful to you - good luck!
-Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks much for the information. We tried several of the mattresses at this location and settled on the Blue Paradise for comfort. It was as cool to the touch as anything else in there including some of the ones with the talalay latex on top. It was not as cool as the Tempurpedic Cloud series which was actually cold. I was just wondering if there might be another Therapeutic product that might be better at heat dispersion?
Thanks again,
Johnny

[quote=“mtjag” post=52555]Jeff,
I was just wondering if there might be another Therapeutic product that might be better at heat dispersion?[/quote]

Don’t enter into the process of buying a memory foam product with the belief that it will disperse heat aggressively - you’re going to be disappointed. While certain models may feel cooler to the touch, this is the difference between heat and temperature. Certainly some memory foams will distribute heat a bit better than others, but it’s not as if they are an active and aggressive heat sink.

Phoenix had some good links regarding this here:

[quote]There is more about some of the ways that can be used to cool down down memory foam in post #6 here and there is more about the many variables that can affect temperature regulation in post #2 here and the posts it links to that can help you make a more informed choice about the types of materials and components and the types of mattresses that will have the best chance of keeping you in a temperature range that you are comfortable with.

In very general terms … most people probably wouldn’t have a temperature regulation issue with this mattress but there may be a minority that do with any type of memory foam or gel memory foam because while gel memory foams can be cool to the touch, they tend to have a more temporary effect on sleeping temperature so they can help when you go to sleep at night but once the temperature equalizes the temperature regulation properties of the gel may not last throughout the course of the night (see post #2 here for more about gel memory foams).[/quote]

I found that the Blue Heaven was very good at avoiding some of the negative temperature issues often associated with memory foam, as it has a latex layer on top that served as a bit of a buffer. Otherwise, the liquid gel polymer blend in the upper layer of the Paradise, combine with the polyurethane foam layers between, does a decent job. I did find that the softer beds tended to sleep a bit warmer as a general rule of thumb, as less of your body surface area is exposed for convection heat exchange. But again, so much of this is subjective and there are many individual differences involved.

Overall, if you like the product, it’s a good quality and hopefully you should enjoy it. But again, and not to be repetitive, don’t go into the purchase of a memory foam bed as a temperature sensitive individual and expect that it will solve your issue.

Hi mtjag,

I would add a “ditto” to Jeff’s comments.

The temperature of a gel memory foam mattress when you touch it has very little to do with how well it will regulate temperature over the course of the night.

Phoenix

Jeff and Phoenix, that does make perfect sense regarding the selection process and of choosing a memory foam over a traditional coil bed. At the end of the day, we chose the Blue Paradise over the other memory foam and coil beds because it gave the best support and overall best comfort for both of us, not realizing heat could be an issue (which would have a very negative influence to comfort). For instance, we both liked the Simmons Beauty Rest Black hybrid, but felt the Blue Paradise was yet more comfortable. Regarding the Blue Heaven, I liked it, but we both felt it was too soft and we both sunk in it too much. So, perhaps even with the latex on top in the Blue Heaven, it might have resulted in a warmer sleep because we had more surface contact with it. Anyway, we have 30 days to try it in our home and I hope it works out. We do live without air conditioning at high altitude (8500’) in the mountains of southern Colorado and typically it stays cold to very cool at night. Thank you both much for your time and expertise in this discussion as it has given me some valuable insight. With what I now know, I really can’t think of another selection I would have considered, other than just staying with a conventional pillow top mattress with a less optimal level of comfort.

Hi mtjag,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You made a good quality choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

It’s a good thing that you avoided this mattress because it uses much lower quality materials in the comfort layers which would be a weak link in the mattress and would be much more likely to soften and break down prematurely than the mattress you purchased.

Phoenix

That’s encouraging to hear! The last two mattresses we’ve had were the World Class Simmons and they both started off feeling good but developed lumps in the middle and we both started having back pain (which we now have again). Of course, this is over the course of 17 years, so considering that I was much younger then, they were probably not all that good. Having now turned 60, I am listening to my body much better (since it is shouting) and hoping the new mattress will be kind. It really seems like a good choice and I particularly like the fact that it is plant based instead of petrol based foam. I will be posting our impressions once we have it delivered on the 27th. Thanks again for your help in sorting through this myriad of choices.

Hi mtjag,

That’s because Simmons and the other major brands tend to use lower quality materials in the comfort layers of their mattresses that tend to soften and break down prematurely which results in the loss of comfort and support which was the reason you purchased it in the first place. This is why I would avoid the major brands or any mattress where you can’t confirm the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress and in the upper comfort layers especially (see the guidelines here). The issue of lower quality materials is more common in the industry today than it was 17 years ago (see post #3 here)

This is just marketing and is very misleading. You can read more about so called “plant based foams” (which aren’t natural or plant based at all) in post #2 here. It’s just polyurethane foam but at least it’s good quality/density polyfoam.

Phoenix

I want to thank MattressToGo and Phoenix for your response to my inquiry regarding Eco Gel mattresses and provide an update to my experience with our new mattress. We couldn’t be happier with our selection of the Blue Paradise Eco Gel. We’ve now had it for one full week and it is incredible. First, regarding the issue of body heat, there is none throughout the entire night. So our fears were unfounded and the mattress remains a comfortable temperature throughout the night. Secondly, we have both slept throughout the entire night for the first time in several months, possibly years due to the comfort of this bed and we wake up without any aches or pains. The mattress has no odor found in outgassing from petroleum based foam beds which is a major health concern issue.
If there is a shadow of an issue it is that the bed molds so well to your body that it takes a little additional effort to turn over. That being said, the bed has plenty of support and I’ve never been able to sleep on my side until now. So, in case you can’t tell from my comments, we are pretty tickled we picked this bed.

Hi mtjag,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

It’s great to see that your new mattress is working out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase!