Ecogel vs Ultimate Dreams vs Aloe Adelle

Hi cartman311,

I think g1981c’s comments are good ones. It can be tempting to make choices based on the “commodity value” of a mattress (or other types of "technical analysis) which of course can play an important role but there are just as many other factors that are just as important in a final choice.

Just to throw another worm into the mix since you are considering a latex/memory foam hybrid … you may also want to consider the Brooklyn Bedding Aloe Adele which has 3" of memory foam, 3" of latex (both interchangeable), and 7" of 2.17 lb base foam.

Phoenix

Greets, I’m in nearly the same boat as cartman311.

I visited a few mattress stores, from local to big-names, and had settled on the Therapedic Ecogel Blue as my “local, tested, and certified pretty-green” mattress. The Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam was my “online, untested, and probably not-as-green” mattress.

I’m about to go back to Macy’s and try the Cloud Luxe one more time. For now, I’m leaning towards the Ultimate Dreams because it’s a bit less than half the cost of the Ecogel.

I’m mostly just relating my situation here for posterity - Phoenix, your posts have been invaluably informative. I’m glad to have found this community before ordering anything!

Hi heytonytony,

I’m glad the site was able to help you :slight_smile:

You are in the good position that you have eliminated your worst choices and are choosing between all good ones. While I and almost every member here knows from personal experience how difficult it can be to try and take into account all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are part of getting down to one (it took me weeks to make my final choices between my finalists) … at least you are in a position where it would be difficult to make a “mistake” in quality and value terms … unlike the majority of consumers who at this point are busy trying to decide between a Sealy and a Simmons or other major brands which are all poor value :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well I pulled the trigger last night and ordered the ultimate dreams 13" gel from Amazon. Should be here sometime this weekend. I’ll post how I feel about it once I sleep on it for a night or two. Maybe that will help you out with your decision heyytonytony.

Fantastic!

I’ll likely jump in soon as well - maybe even before your’s arrives :stuck_out_tongue: After doing a spot more research and laying on the Cloud Luxe (and other memoryfoam/gel construction mattresses), I think the Dreamfoam mattress should be fine for me. For the environmentally conscious, Brooklyn Bedding’s website also states they strive for green practices, which is as much as the Therapedic franchisee in my area can say about the Ecogel. The only (possible) issue that still exists is “buying local” - I’m pull the “I’m new here” card for now, I suppose.

I wonder if the “2 latex pillows for liking us on Facebook!” thing with Brooklyn Bedding applies to their dreamfoam line as well? :cheer:

Thanks again!

Hi heytonytony,

I think this is about which parts of your personal value equation are most important to you and on your risk tolerance for buying a mattress that you haven’t tried and tested in person. Of course the risk is slightly lower because you have a similar “model” that you can try locally but it’s always worth asking the question … if this mattresses isn’t quite right … what recourse do I have? If objective and “accurate” testing has given you confidence that a mattress you are considering is close to your “ideal” … then this could just be a matter of fine tuning with a topper, a mattress pad, or even different types of mattress protectors. If it is a matter that involves more than just “fine tuning” … then other options may become more important.

No … only to the mattresses on their Brooklyn Bedding page.

Phoenix

Very well put, Phoenix.

All things considered, the dreamfoam seems to be the best route to take.

cartman311, did you buy from Amazon or Dreamfoam Bedding (the “sold by:”)? Apart from the difference in price, I’m curious if buying straight from Dreamfoam Bedding gives me more options. I’ll give them a call in the morning, actually.

Congratulations to the both of us!

I ordered the one sold by Amazon. I did this since they have a 30 day return policy. I even contacted Amazon to confirm that the mattress could be returned. They said it could and the return shipping would be free if there was an issue with the mattress but I it was something like I don’t care for the color then I would have to pay for shipping, approximately $100. I even had them send me a copy of my conversation with them in case they change their story. If you don’t order from Amazon (shipped by Amazon) call Brooklyn Bedding and let them know your a member here and they will send you a pillow for free. I chose the 30 day return policy over the pillow in case I had issues sleeping on the mattress.

Thanks for relaying your experience, cartman311. I’ll likely do the same in a bit. woo excitement!

Hi heytonytony,

I would be a little careful with this. When the mattress is shipped it is compressed so it can ship UPS but if you ship it back it will need to be returned with their large item service which is truck shipping and much more costly. Sometimes in my experience the amazon rep will only look at the way it was shipped originally and not realize that if it needs to be returned the shipping method will change and it may be more costly. If you want to make sure of this then I would make sure you talked with their “large items” department which is a different department from their normal returns … just to be on the safe side. See post #11 here.

Phoenix

+1 on being in the same boat between these options. I was sold on all-latex but my wife’s preference in the stores is clearly on memory foam. Her arthritic hips feel no pressure on the foam; latex just doesn’t conform enough for her. However, she won’t lay on them for more than 5 minutes in the store so I’m dreading getting one of these home and her hating the heat factor. (She’s also at that point in her life where nighttime heat is very bad… We have full blast ceiling fans on in dead of winter when it’s below freezing outside!)

So, you guys that ordered, hoping to hear your experiences with either of these, especially any thoughts on heat?

Hi BmoreE,

Hopefully some of the members here will reply but in the meantime you can also read more in post #2 here about the many different factors that combine together in a mattress and the bedding you choose that will affect temperature regulation.

Phoenix

Greets BmoreE

Mine just arrived this afternoon. I’m in the process of wrestling it out of the vacuum packaging, I hope to have a report by Friday. For reference, the nighttime temperature in my area is currently between 5 to 10°C, with 60%s humidity or higher when it rains. Getting warmer again this week, though.

Until then, have you seen this topic?https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/ultimate-dreams-13q-gel-memory-foam-mattress-first-impressions

Hi BmorE

I revived my mattress over the weekend so I have had a few nights sleep on it. I haven’t posted anything yet since I originally thought that the mattress was giving me a slight lower back pain but it just hit me yesterday that my back pain doesn’t have anything to do with sleeping on the mattress. It was caused by carrying the king size mattress up a flight of stairs into my bedroom, it sucks getting old.

I am very happy with the mattress and I am glad I decided to order it. I was very hesitant about ordering a mattress online and I am glad I took the chance. The last few nights I have noticed that I wake up in the morning without any aches or pains. Before my bones would ache when I woke up but I don’t have that feeling on this mattress. My wife has also notice the same thing.

This mattress does feel like a temurpedic mattress but I don’t think it feels like the cloud luxe. This mattress is firmer then the luxe just as all the reviews have pointed out. I haven’t noticed any issues with sleeping hot on this mattress. I would wake up once in a while before dripping in sweet but I have not waken up hot with this mattress. I would say that it is about the same as the spring mattress I had before. Neither hooter nor cooler. I do have a mattress protector on it so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

This mattress is a keeper and the only regret I have is that it took me this long to order it

Hi cartman311,

Thanks for the update and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Completely dropped the ball, it’s been a busy week+ :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had quite a few nights to sleep on it now. My assessment is mostly the same as cartman311’s - the first few nights I slept for much less time than I normally do (unrelated to the mattress), but woke up feeling much more well-rested. I had trouble trying to move it before it decompressed properly - I tried hefting it about immediately after removing the wrapping, and it was flimsy as a wet noodle. After an hour or so, it firmed up a bit and became a lot more maneuverable.

I don’t have much experience with Tempurpedics, but from the perspective of a very lanky male (~130lbs, 6’0"), it’s near perfect for me. It’s firmer than the Cloud Luxe, but I think in a good and supportive way. I’ve discovered I don’t like pillowtops, so take that as you will. The Ecogel felt a bit more plush and cool than this Ultimate Dreams Gel mattress - the layer of actual gel in the Ecogel might be the reason there. So far, the Ultimate Dreams Gel does not seem to get hot at night - I used to sometimes wake from sweating, but the climate/environment was also much different from where I am now (sleeping in humid mid-70’s vs semi-humid 60’s now). It does get warm and cozy, though. I have a Luna mattress protector, cotton sheets, and a silk comforter.

A part of me wants to say the Ecogel would have been “perfect,” but another part wants to slap the Ecogel guy around a bit with a large trout. I’m extremely satisfied with the mattress, it is much more than what I expected from a mattress.

Hi heyytonytony,

I’d probably pay admittance to see a video of that :slight_smile:

thanks for the great feedback.

Phoenix

OK, I’ve spent about a week on the ultimate dream, on top of a mattresses.net wooden frame. The mattress itself is very comfortable, and is supporting both me and spouse very well. My only complaint: the thing still reeks. (I guess this is “off gassing”?). Granted I don’t notice it unless I’m putting face to mattress, but the first few nights my t-shirt would smell like rubber. I guess it’s fading but I expected that to happen faster.

The frame is as expected too, although after getting it I kind of wished I’d have spent a weekend building one on my own with $50 of home-depot lumber. (If you look at the pix you can do it, it’s pretty straightforward.) I screwed the slats down and it’s very sturdy.

All in all I’m pretty satisfied with the selection… “Tempurpedic” feel for Costco price. Thanks for this forum and everyone’s input!

Hi BmoreE,

Did you end up ordering the latex anyway? I thought from your previous post that you were leaning towards memory foam.

Either way though … the smell will dissipate fairly quickly although the smell of latex (which people usually describe as a sweetish smell with Latex International Talalay) may last a little longer although most people don’t consider it “offensive”.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

To clarify, it was the ultimate dream foam mattress, so no latex. (Aside from the free pillow which I can’t yet tell if I really like or not!) I do really enjoy the feel of the foam however.