Economy 3" Latex Toper

I’m looking for a 3" latex topper. I know there are a lot of post about this but sorting through them can be a job in itself there are so many. I’m looking for a few sites that offer a more low price option. I don’t mind if its talalay or dunlop. I don’t mind if its a blend or all natural.

Thanks to Phoenix pointing me in the right direction I order a 5 inch piece of base foam from Albanyfoam.com. Person I spoke to was helpful, made in the USA, Certipur certified, and pass Cal bulletin 117-2013.

I have 3 - 1" piece of latex foam (twin size) from foambymail from the bed I am replacing. I was just going to cut one sheet and make 2 inches on top of this bed. However the foam still stinks (smell and probably quality) from 3 years ago. The Polyfoam from them that I am replacing also has a chemical smell but not as bad. In taking the layers off of latex I realize this is just not what I want on the bed and I’d rather just buy a nice 3" new latex topper.

My real criterial is it must be odorless. At least certipur certified or even better Oeko Tek certified. Something that doesn’t smell chemical. And I’d like to spend the least I can for something decent. Figure for a full I might be around the 300 price point. Its a guest room bed so doesn’t have to be all that but I would like it comfortable

I’m going to check all the sites on this list
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/foam-factory-any-good
but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

I will be interested in what Phoenix has to say (or others).

We just replaced a 6 year old latex/innerspring mattress from European Sleepworks. After 6 years, the latex still smelled. Even the organic cotton/wool mattress cover absorbed the latex smell, and even away from the latex for one week, the cotton/wool still smells like latex! When we bought the mattress, European Sleepworks told me they use 100% natural taladay latex. I don’t know their source.

I also have two 1" blended taladay latex toppers manufactured by Latex International. They are maybe 4-5 years old. Both of them still smell of latex, just not as strong as the natural latex in the ESW mattress.

The latex odor gets worse when it is humid.

On the other hand, I have a couple of polyfoam toppers, and some polyfoam other things (back rest, chair cushion, etc) and none of them have retained an odor. I can put my nose right up to them, there is no odor at all.

We just replaced our latex mattress with a 100% Certipur polyfoam mattress (Tuft and Needle). There is some residual smell after one week, but it’s almost gone (was the strongest on day 3 and 4). I am hoping this one looses the smell like my other polyfoam.

I personally don’t like the latex smell, even knowing it is “natural”, and am happy to have our latex mattress out of the bedroom…

Hi jasesun23,

Most latex will have some initial smell so it won’t generally be odorless (see post #2 here). Some people are also more sensitive to the smell of different materials than others (including latex) so one person may smell very little and another may perceive it as being stronger. All the latex you are likely to encounter (whether it is Dunlop or Talalay and uses natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will be Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut certified for harmful substances and VOC’s (CertiPUR is a certification for polyfoam and memory foam not for latex) so from a “safety” perspective they would all be fine (see post #2 here).

[quote]I’m going to check all the sites on this list
www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...q-any-good.html#5411
but any advice is appreciated.[/quote]

I don’t keep a record of prices or know them off the top of my head (they can also change over time) but this list includes the better sources for latex toppers that I’m aware of. I would also keep in mind that some toppers are an inch or two smaller in width or length so if you are using this inside a mattress I would confirm the dimensions before you make your purchase.

Phoenix

Sheep123, The polyfoam from foambymail.com definitely smells a little bit. It’s 3 years old. Just had my couch redone and while they used foam is almost complete flat after 6 months there is zero smell. Can put my nose right up to it and nothing. I’ll update when I get the Certipur foam from Albanyfoam to see if it has any odor.
The latex however really has a strong odor to it. Maybe I’m just sensitive and that’s what latex smells like. I’ll have to go to some stores and give some latex beds a whiff. If that’s the case I might just keep the old foambymail.com latex I have.

The tuft and needle bed looks interesting, all polyfoam. The 5 inch had 1.8 density polyfoam, which is what I ordered from albanyfoam.com, however the outer comfort polyfoam layers are 3.5 density. Have not seen that density in all my polyfoam research. Might be HR polyfoam that approaches latex like qualities. How do you like that bed?

Hi jasesun23,

These are a newer generation of polyfoam that are made in higher densities than most HR polyfoam (sometimes up to the 5 lb density range) and are specifically formulated to have more of the point elasticity (contouring) or some of the other properties of either memory foam or latex but are generally designed to have a lower resilience (springiness) than either latex or HR polyfoam. You can see some comments about them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

You have answers to almost everything Phoenix. I already order the polyfoam base so I’ll end up with some type of latex layer on top. Just curious, how do you think T&N foam layers work. In the picture on their crafting page the middle is yellow and the top and bottom are white

Do you think the middle is the 1.8 density support foam and the white part is the 3.5? That would make the mattress flippable? Or is that only the design color and the mattress should go one way where the 3.5 density foam is on top?

Lastly, I have my polyfoam base, 2-3 latex top. Can I just put one of these on top of that so not to change the feel of the mattress, but also not sleep directly on the latex, and also throw it into the wash everyone 3 months or so

I think a mattress sold need to be encased in fabric as a fire retardant, but do I need to encase this or can I just put that thin pad/protector on top then sheets?

jasesun23,

I’ve had the Tuft and Needle 10" model for a week, this is their “new” version with only two layers of foam, the top layer 3.5 lb density, the lower 1.8 lb.

I am really liking the bed so far. It is relatively firm, but I have no pressure point pain when sleeping on my side. Wonderful for back sleeping. The mattress is most comfortable to me with thin layers- a thin mattress protector and sheets, that’s it. I had our old thick, polyfilled topper on it the first night, and had a tough night. Phoenix recommended removing the thick polyfill topper, and sure enough, the mattress became much more comfortable.

There was some smell the first few days- days 3 and 4 the worst- I’ve been “airing” it each day by removing bedding, blowing a fan over the surface. Smelled a little like memory foam in those days. It’s a week now, still a little smell, but it’s not that noticeable.

The foam is interesting- not a springy bed at all. No “pushback” that latex has, and no “sinking in” like memory foam. Has a pretty “neutral” feeling. I am spending more time in bed :slight_smile:

A huge improvement over our old latex/innerspring mattress. Not sure I’ll ever go for latex again. Not only the smell, I also don’t like the “pushback” that latex has. I guess I’m just sensitive to latex smell, but I know it doesn’t bother othes. Yes, check out a latex bed store, the local ones we have all have that latex smell (to me).

I wrote a long review of the tuft and needle, if you go back a couple of pages, there is something about a Tuft and Needle 10" diary thread- that’s where those of us with Tuft and Needle mattresses have been posting our reviews.

Good luck with your foam search…

Do they tell you how many inches of 1.8 density foam and how many inches of 3.5 in the 10 inch mattress? I’ll check the review out

Hi jasesun23,

[quote]You have answers to almost everything Phoenix. I already order the polyfoam base so I’ll end up with some type of latex layer on top. Just curious, how do you think T&N foam layers work. In the picture on their crafting page the middle is yellow and the top and bottom are white

Do you think the middle is the 1.8 density support foam and the white part is the 3.5? That would make the mattress flippable? Or is that only the design color and the mattress should go one way where the 3.5 density foam is on top?

Do they tell you how many inches of 1.8 density foam and how many inches of 3.5 in the 10 inch mattress? I’ll check the review out [/quote]

Their new design only has 2 layers (unlike their old design which had 3 layers … see post #6 here). In the “Ten” the layer is about 3" of the 3.5 lb polyfoam and the bottom 7" is the 1.8 lb polyfoam. In the “Five” the top layer is a little thinner (closer to about 2"). All of their mattresses (both the old and new versions) are one sided with the softer layers on top and the firmer support layers underneath them.

[quote]Lastly, I have my polyfoam base, 2-3 latex top. Can I just put one of these on top of that so not to change the feel of the mattress, but also not sleep directly on the latex, and also throw it into the wash everyone 3 months or so

I’m not personally familiar with either one of these but both of them look more like mattress pads that have a filling material (lyocell and polyester fiber) quilted inside them and appear to be a little thicker than many other mattress protectors and would probably have a bigger effect on the “feel” of a mattress than a thinner mattress protector. There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here but it may be worth considering one of the thinner membrane types of protectors which are waterproof, are also washable, and will have little effect on the feel of the mattress. They can be washed on a regular basis along with your sheets.

A mattress protector is always a good idea to protect your mattress from the body fluids and oils that we release each night, from stains and accidents that can invalidate a warranty, and that can be easily removed and washed to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition … the only reason to choose a mattress encasement (see post #2 here) that completely encloses the mattress vs a mattress protector that is 5 sided and fits on the mattress like a fitted sheet would be in the case of more severe dust mite allergies or to protect against bed bugs.

Phoenix

Thanks again for the replies Phoenix. I read what you wrote but just so I’m clear, I don’t need to encase the polyfoam or latex to protect the life of it? With the pads, I can protect it from body fluids and oils so I’m fine with that. Its just that I’m reading on some sites about latex and foam needing to be covered or they will degrade.

For anyone that might want to know about those Ikea mattress pads, I bought them both and opened a small 1" corner of them to see what was going on inside and sewed them back up (I do my own tailoring)

The are both really thin. Maybe 1/4 of an inch thick

The cheaper one the Kungsmynta is a little thicker only because the squares are bigger so the fill inside has more room to fluff up. Its outer material is the same on both sides, cotton/lyocell blend. The fill is poly/lyocell fibers. It is 236 thread count. And feels a little softer/smoother than the more expensive one. Maybe just because it is a little fluffier it felt softer.

The Rosendun is a more expensive one. It has much smaller box stitching so it lays flatter. Even though one side is grey and one is white they are both the same 236 thread lyocell/cotton blend. The same outer fabric as the Kungsmynta. The poly/lyocell filling is the same as the Kungsmynta. The did add one extra layer which is the reason for the price difference. Right below the white top outside layer is a layer of non-woven polyester. I guess that is better at protecting it from spills. The very thin layer of non-woven polyester also has a lot of tiny holes in it to help with breathing I guess.

I like the Rosendum as I think it will hold up better after washings. The small box stitch will not allow the poly fibers to shift or clump up. It looks a little nicer and put together better. Also, the non-woven polyester layer might help protect it more. It’s funny they call the non-woven polyester layer temperature regulating. From what I read here it seems like it might actually make it sleep hotter.

Hi jasesun23,

If a layer of latex is inside a mattress cover/ticking (that is made to be used as a mattress cover) that surrounds all the materials and components inside the mattress then the individual layers don’t need to be encased but if you are using a latex layer as a topper on top of a mattress then it’s generally a good idea to use a dedicated cover around the latex topper in addition to any mattress protector you are using (see post #2 here).

Based on your descriptions of the Ikea mattress pads they would both probably have a bigger effect on the feel and performance of a mattress than one of the thinner membrane type protectors (and they wouldn’t be water resistant or waterproof).

Phoenix

Honestly I planned to just put the 5" polyfoam on a base (slats about 1.5 inches apart, the 2" latex on top of that. Neither will have anything around them except a sheet on top. I was thinking about adding one of those Ikea mattress pads/protectors on top just to give the top some protection from sweat or odors or oil. I don’t care water protection, I don’t drink in the bedroom or overly sweat. Since the foam has nothing surrounding the sides or bottom you feel I should get some kind of encasement? Will any encasement work to protect it from oxidation/light. I have a pristine complete mattress cover from when my allergies were bad, but I no longer have that issue. Should I use that cover or should I buy something more breathable since I don’t need allergy protection? Do you know of any cheaper mattress cover/ticking like encasements that could be used for foam protection against the elements?

Thanks again for all your help

Hi jasesun23,

There are all “best judgement” choices that you will need to make based on your budget and individual circumstances but “best practice” and what I would personally choose to do if I was building my own mattress would be to enclose all the foam layers inside a mattress cover that was specifically designed to be used for this purpose (see post #15 here) and then add a protector to protect the finished mattress. A mattress cover and a mattress protector are different products that have different purposes.

My previous reply includes links to more information and pictures about the effect of different types of covers on latex.

The better sources for mattress covers that I’m aware of are listed in the component post here.

Phoenix

Phoenix what do you think about foamorder clearance section? I was looking at this

I was looking at #14, it is 3 inches and comes with an organic cover. Says its 140 off retail price which sounds good to me.

Also now very much considering sleeponlatex. Seems like a good price, brand new, as opposed to a return in the clearance, and free shipping. Would you happen to know if the Pure Plush (thier blended model) is certified in any way. The Pure Green has all 3 types of certification (oeko, lga, and eco institute). The Pure Plush just says made in America.

Thanks
Jay

Hi jasesun23,

[quote]Phoenix what do you think about foamorder clearance section? I was looking at this

They are certainly better prices than their regular prices and if they are in good condition (and they describe them well) then they would be well worth considering.

I would consider all of the sources listed to be reliable suppliers so it would depend on how they compared in terms of price (I don’t know the prices off the top of my head) for the same type and blend of latex (100% natural Dunlop), on the exchange/return policy and its importance to you, and on how you feel about buying latex that has been previously used but is still in “nearly new” condition.

Phoenix

Phoenix I might have edited my post after you replied. I was looking at and researching sleeponlatex and it seems like a very reasonable priced topper. I emailed them but, "Would you happen to know if the Pure Plush (thier blended model) is certified in any way? The Pure Green has all 3 types of certification (oeko, lga, and eco institute). The Pure Plush just says made in America.

Pure Green - 3 certifications

Pure Plush- made in America- but no certifications listed
https://sleeponlatex.com/products/plush-latex-mattress-topper

Thanks
Jay

Hi jasesun23,

[quote]Pure Plush- made in America- but no certifications listed
sleeponlatex.com/products/plush-latex-mattress-topper[/quote]

This would be the Puralux latex made by Latexco and as far as I know all the Latexco products (natural or synthetic) are Oeko-Tex certified but you can check with them to confirm this.

Phoenix

Just got off a web chat with Michael from sleeponlatex. Asked him if Pure Plush had any certifications. He had to go ask someone else but came back saying it had no certifications.

Any chance its not Puralux? Or maybe he is just misinformed

Would you happen to know who the Pure Green is produced by?

Phoenix your help and time is really appreciated.

Jay

Mike also just responded to my email that I sent. He said “Our Pure Plush is not Oeko-Tex or Eco Institute certified. The Pure Plush is made with mostly synthetic latex. The synthetic latex is produced from petrochemicals.”

Hi jasesun23,

Puralux is the only latex that is made in the USA that fits the description of their Pure Plush toppers (Pure Plush would be their own trade name) and I called and re-confirmed today with Latexco that all of the latex they make (including Puralux) is Oeko-Tex certified. Their “standard” Puralux blend would be 20% natural and 80% synthetic latex but they can also customize the blend for specific customers (if there is enough volume to justify a custom blend) so it could also be different from this.

I don’t know for certain of course but I believe that it’s supplied by Latexco as well which means that it would most likely be Latex Green’s 100% natural Dunlop.

Karl is the owner of Sleep On Latex and he is currently away on holidays apparently so I talked with Michael to let him know the results of my conversation with Latexco.

Phoenix