Ecosleep Obsession Review

I thought I’d write up a review of my recent purchase. This is also a follow up to my earlier thread: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/ecosleep-model-comparisons

Specifications:
1" 19 ILD Talalay latex
2" 24 ILD Talalay latex
7" 33 ILD Acella Flex Polyfoam

It’s advertised as a latex mattress, but as you can see, only the comfort layers are latex. The mattress label states 50% latex, 50% Polyurethane foam. The label also states that it was manufactured by DPC LLC in Whitewater, WI.

Now I also called the company that makes and distributes it. They said the top comfort layers were 14 & 19 ILD. I can’t help but think that’s a mistake. Every other ecosleep latex mattress seems to use 19 & 24 ILD and frankly the layers don’t feel that soft.

Note that Polyfoam ILD is measured differently. It’s generally measured using 4" thick samples vs. 6" think with latex so will feel much firmer that the same ILD for latex.

I have also noticed a zipper going around the bottom of the mattress, so it may be possible to replace layers. I haven’t tried taking it apart myself yet to see.

Availability:
The only place I’ve found this mattress for sale is US-Mattress.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: us-mattress.com/eco-rest-obsession-latex.html

Packaging:
This comes vacuum packed and rolled. There were no hard folds. Unpacking is relatively easy. I did that myself.

Impressions:
I didn’t have a chance to try this out in person before buying it. I did try several latex mattresses though including PLB Nature and Pamper. In comparison to those I found the 33 ILD Poly base to feel firmer than even the Pamper which is 40 ILD latex. Sometimes it takes a full night’s sleep to really get the feel of a mattress. 15-20 minutes lying on one doesn’t do it justice.

After about a week the latex layers felt slightly less firm than the first night. I suppose that there’s a break in period with any material.

Overall, this is likely best for those wanting firmer support. Personally, for me the comfort layer hasn’t been thick enough. I sleep on my back andI have the mattress set on firm slats under thin particle board.

I’ve added a 1.5" pillowsoft layer with down alternative material to the top and that seems to have done the trick. It feels much better now. I’m surprised that such a minor change made such a difference!

I may look for a more durable layer to add for comfort but for now I’m pretty happy with it. For $832 for a queen, I feel like it’s a good deal. Time will tell how well it holds up long term.

Any suggestions on where to find a 2" pillowsoft latex layer (say 19 ILD 4-5 lb density) that could better replace the down alternate would be appreciated!

Hi wrngway,

Thanks for sharing your feedback about the Ecosleep Obsession … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Durable Products Corp is part of the same group of companies as Ecosleep and Vymac and previously Verlo as well. (see post #7 here).

[quote]Availability:
The only place I’ve found this mattress for sale is US-Mattress. [/quote]
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: us-mattress.com/eco-rest-obsession-latex.html

They are also sold at Hayneedle and I’ve come across them from time to time at local retailers as well but they are not widely distributed.

There are many people who are very surprised about the difference that seemingly small changes can make to their mattress … particularly if they involve adding a top layer which has a bigger effect on the initial feel and performance of a mattress than the deeper layers. Even something as small as changing the thickness of a layer by an inch or so or using a different mattress protector can make a significant difference in the feel and performance of a mattress.

I don’t think you would find a latex layer that would be a good comparison to a down alternative mattress pad because they are really apples to oranges comparisons and would feel very different. Post #4 here includes some good sources of where you can find latex layers or toppers but I would guess that for most people a shredded latex topper would be closer to the “feel” of a down alternative topper or mattress pad than a solid latex layer.

Phoenix

So I’m back for a follow up after 2 years. How’s that for a long term review?

This was the best mattress for me for about a year. The support was perfect for me. After that dips started to form where I my wife and I slept and I started to get some back discomfort.

By rotating the mattress I’ve been able to keep the support level acceptable, but I know at some point in the near future I’ll be back out shopping again. I’ve taken to sleeping in the middle some nights.

I’m wondering if this is mostly a problem the comfort layers or the support layer. Might there be anything more durable? This is mattress #3 in the past 7 years and the best one yet, I just wish the support would last longer.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Hi wrngway,

[quote]So I’m back for a follow up after 2 years. How’s that for a long term review?

This was the best mattress for me for about a year. The support was perfect for me. After that dips started to form where I my wife and I slept and I started to get some back discomfort.[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to come back and share an update after 2 years I appreciate it.

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress doesn’t appear to be holding up as well as you hoped for.

It would be hard to know which layer or layer is responsible for any foam softening or sagging without taking the mattress apart and inspecting or testing each layer.

The upper layers of a mattress are generally the weakest link of a mattress in terms of durability and are the layers where the quality/durability of the materials is particularly important. A mattress will tend to soften and break down from the top layers down because the regular deflection/compression of the upper foam materials and components when you sleep on the mattress is what softens or breaks down the materials over time and the softer upper layers of a mattress will deflect and compress more deeply and more often than the firmer deeper layers and components in a mattress. On the other hand … latex in general is more durable than polyfoam so it’s also possible that even though it isn’t compressing as much the deeper support layers could be part of the issue as well.

It’s also possible that the mattress was “on the edge” of being too soft for you so that even relatively small amounts of foam softening or impressions could have taken you outside the comfort/support range that is suitable for you (see post #2 here).

Firmness is also a durability factor so if you are in a higher weight range then softer layers won’t last as long as firmer layers and even with latex ultra soft layers won’t tend to hold up as well over time.

There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here.

If you tend to prefer sleeping on softer layers that don’t hold up as well then a component mattress or a firmer mattress with a softer topper can be a good strategy because in both cases the top layer can be replaced without replacing the complete mattress.

There are also some suggestions for a mattress that is too soft or is sagging in post #4 here that may also be helpful.

Phoenix