ECOSUS Sleep Systems

Hi Phoenix,
I looked/tried a ECOSUS Comfortique 10" bed today. I was impressed they displayed the Specs. The Specs. as displayed were: Comfort layers 3" of 4.0 lb. Memory Foam, and 2"of 3.0 lb Duo-Flex Poly Foam, and Support Layers, 4" of 3.2 lb HD Dura-Tek Poly Foam, and 1" of recycled composite Poly. What are your thoughts on these specs. and any opinions on the ECOSUS mattresses?

I bought a Stearns and Foster (paid $ 2,200) 18 months ago. Six months after purchase the foam had deteriorated/changed. The mattress sagged. It is way, way too soft now. I have to purchase a new mattress. I have to get it right this time around.
I live in Lexington, Ky. and have read previous posts where you have suggested possible mattress options in the Lexington/Louisville area. I plan to follow up on these leads.

The Mattress Underground has been very helpful. Thank you so much. I just wished I had done my mattress research prior to my last mattress purchase.

Hi JAK,

These are all good quality materials and there are no obvious weak links in the mattress although if you are in a higher weight range (more than the low 200’s or so) then I would be somewhat cautious with 3" of 4 lb memory foam in the top layer. You can see the foam density guidelines I would suggest in post #4 here.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but if you have done some careful testing on the mattress and are confident that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and it also compares well to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would certainly be worth considering.

I also noticed that this mattress isn’t currently on the Ecosus website (although the specs you mentioned are listed on an older website page here) so it may be an old model so I would check the manufacturing date on the law tag to make sure that it is new and was manufactured recently (in the last few months) and that you aren’t purchasing a comfort or a warranty return which would mean that your mattress wouldn’t likely have a warranty.

As you probably know from your reading here … this is much too common with major brand mattresses or with any mattress that uses lower quality materials in the comfort layers or doesn’t disclose the quality of the materials at all. Since your mattress has softened fairly quickly it’s also quite likely that you purchased a mattress that was already close to the edge of being too soft for you when it was new so only a relatively small amount of foam softening was probably enough to take you “over the edge” of the firmness range that is suitable for you in terms of PPP (see post #2 here).

Some local testing on mattresses using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post is always a very good idea so you have a better idea of the types of mattresses and materials that you tend to prefer and you have some good “finalists” to choose between.

I’m looking forward to any comments or questions you may have from your mattress testing and of course finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix.
I have done quite a bit of mattress testing since my last posting. I do not like the quicksand feeling of many of the memory foam mattresses. Two preferred mattresses were the Tempur-Pedic Weightless Select and the Optimum Destiny…

I decided I was going to order a Featherlight Select from Selectfoam http://www.selectfoam.com/select-conform-collection.html. . I, in fact called to consult with a representative, left a message, and my call was never returned… This gave me a little more time to do some research and I came upon the following: http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/business-reviews/mattresses/select-foam-in-miami-fl-92006966 and 81 Complaints & Reviews: Select Foam, Inc. | TrustLink. I am a little concerned now about doing business with this company, maybe a little too much “smoke.” I know they sell thousands of mattresses and you can’t expect a perfect record, but it is concerning. What is your opinion? I also thought it was interesting that they do business under different names/websites… I read Bed in a Box had an A+ rating with the BBB … Novosbed has an A plus rating, but I know they have not been in business long so may be an unfair comparison.

I am now looking at Novosbed Sonata http://www.novosbed.com/product/sonata-memory-foam-mattress/. Does this look acceptable? Is the Gelsphere Gel foam suppose to be at least 4 lbs? I know Novosbed is not a Undeground member. Do you have reservations about this company?

Of the two mattresses noted above, which mattress would you recommend as far being sturdy/durable (and holding up under a 5 foot three inch woman weighing 125 lbs, who is a side sleeper?)

I really appreciate your help/advice. I will gladly pay you for your time. If I had known about this site two years ago I would probably not be having to buy another mattress now. I would probably not have an aching back!

Thank You, Phoenix

JAK

Hi JAK,

You can see my thoughts about Select Foam and their BBB rating in post #4 here and the posts it links to (which is also linked in the online lists in the tutorial post). They certainly have some good quality/value mattresses and their service is generally good either before or during a sale but if you are one of the minority of their customers that has an issue that needs to be resolved after the sale or you are returning the mattress for a refund then they have certainly had some issues with timely communications and delays. NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

You can see my comments about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious with any mattress that uses 3 lb memory foam and I would consider this to be a weak link in their mattresses.

[quote] I read Bed in a Box had an A+ rating with the BBB … Novosbed has an A plus rating, but I know they have not been in business long so may be an unfair comparison.

I am now looking at Novosbed Sonata www.novosbed.com/product/sonata-memory-foam-mattress/. Does this look acceptable? Is the Gelsphere Gel foam suppose to be at least 4 lbs? I know Novosbed is not a Undeground member. Do you have reservations about this company?[/quote]

The guideline I use for memory foam density is 4 lbs but like all guidelines it’s not an arbitrary number where there is an exact point where a foam changes from one “category” or level of durability to another. If a mattress manufacturer orders 4 lb foam from a foam manufacturer for example, then depending on the spec tolerance they are willing to pay for (lower tolerances cost more) they may receive a batch of foam that had say a range from 3.8 lbs to 4.2 lbs (5% variance) or 3.6 lb to 4.4 lb (10% variance). This wouldn’t mean that part of the batch would be “good” and part would be “bad” and the whole batch would be closely equivalent. The guidelines are meant to be used in conjunction with all the other factors that are part of durability and value and used as the basis for more meaningful comparisons.

In other words if any of their mattresses are suitable for you in terms of PPP and you are in a weight range where 4 lb memory foam would be a suitable choice (which you are) and they compare well to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then I certainly wouldn’t have any c0ncerns about them and they would make a good choice.

NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or materials because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress or decide on the types of mattresses and materials that you are most interested in and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know which type of mattress design or materials would be best for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). What is “best” for you either in terms of a mattress or a retailer/manufacturer can be very different from what would be “best” for someone else.

Having said that … there is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

I’m not sure which two mattresses you are referring to because your post only linked to the Novosbed Sonata and the Select Foam link didn’t go to a specific mattress but there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them.

Phoenix