Edge support

Hi everyone
I have been reading through the posts and been learning a lot about all the various options much thanks to you all and Phoenix! I was pretty sure I was going to buy a latex mattress and went to a few of the local retailers in DC to see how they felt and found that they did not seem to have much edge support. I found myself falling toward the edge if I was not lying closer toward the middle of the mattress. I chatted with Jacob at BB to see if he recommended any models and told me that no latex or foam mattresses were made with strong edge support and I should consider an innerspring. I also saw at least one comment complaining of the edge support on the Ultimate Dreams model. I feel like I am back at ground zero so would appreciate if anyone has some insights into the edge support options from online retailers. Has anyone had any luck with a latex mattress with good edge support for under $1150? I looked at the post for retailers in the DC area and there are only three that are metro accessible (beyond the regular Sleepys etc) and those are the ones I visited today so I think I may go for an online option, which makes it that much harder to judge the edge support. I am 5’8" and 250lbs, about 65% back sleeper, 25% stomach and 10% side. The 35% of the time on my side and stomach tends to be sort of dangling off the edge, hence the desire for some sturdy edges.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hi Dcsleeper,

You can read more about edge support in post #33 here but Jacob is right that most latex and most memory foam mattresses don’t have (or usually need) the same type of edge support that you will find in some innerspring mattresses.

In many cases … the feeling that you are rolling off the mattress may be an indication that the mattress is too soft for you or the comfort layers are too thick and soft for your heavier body type (and “roll together” in the middle may indicate the same thing) but this isn’t always the case and some people just prefer or need a firmer edge than others.

Firmer latex mattresses are less prone to this and there are also some latex layers that are made with slightly firmer edges (with pincores that are further from the edge of the layer or in some cases firmer materials are glued to the sides of the latex layers) which would help slightly as well but this type of construction for a latex mattress is not the norm.

If firmer edge support is an important issue then firmer layers may be a good option if you do decide on an all latex mattress or as Jacob mentioned an innerspring/latex hybrid where the innerspring has stronger edge support could also make a good choice.

Phoenix

Hi I’ve had a Denver Mattress Madison queen mattress for a little over a year and when two people sleep on it we tend to fall into the middle. It has foam encased sides which don’t seem to compress as much as the rest of the bed and it feels like those are higher than the rest of the bed once two people are on it. Is there a way I can remedy this?

Hi Stevo44,

The kind of “roll together” that you are experiencing in the middle of the mattress when two people are “spooning” or sleep closer together isn’t an uncommon complaint with softer mattresses that have either softer support cores or thicker and softer comfort layers. There are also some comments about firmer foam edge support with innersprings in post #2 here and your experience here also isn’t unusual.

There is little you can do about the firmer edges but some of the suggestions in post #4 here may be “somewhat helpful” for the softer areas in the middle. In most cases though … choosing a mattress where you are less likely to experience this in the first place is a more effective approach than trying to “fix it” afterwards because you can always soften up a mattress that is too firm by adding a topper but it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft or that is sagging because this would generally involve removing and replacing layers rather than adding layers on top of the mattress.

Phoenix