Ekko platform - tough enough for latex mattress?

Wondering if anyone has tried this platform?

I just picked up a Prana mattress at Urban Mattress. Got a great deal on a floor model. Took my old horrible mattress to the dump and put the new latex one on top of my box springs. I’m not sure if its my imagination or not, but somehow the mattress seems less supportive on the box springs than it did in the store. Is the feel a lot different on a proper foundation?

I like my current headboard and don’t like particle board, so I was looking for something simple that would also have room for drawers. Found this, but one of the comments indicated that it wobbled a bit. If it does I imagine it could be strengthened with some additional corner bracing. But wondered if anyone here had used this, or if there’s another suggestion for something similar.

Thanks!.

Hi halaluya,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :slight_smile:

Yes, there will be a large difference in the comfort, feel and durability (and possible loss of warranty) of your latex mattress if it’s placed upon an improper foundation. Most latex mattresses perform best when placed upon a flat, firm and strong surface. Actual coil box spring or older torsion-modular foundations would be inappropriate for a latex mattress, and many of the metal semi-flex foundations are not adequate in support for a heavier latex mattress.

The Ekko platform bed from My Green Mattress (a member here, which means I think highly of them) would tend to be the type of platform bed recommended for a latex mattress. The spacing between the slats is 3", which is the maximum I recommend for an all-latex mattress. The weight capacity is listed at 500 pounds, so that may be a concern depending upon the weight of your latex mattress (some can be quite heavy) and the people sleeping upon that mattress. I also can’t see if there is any sort of center reinforcement, which I would recommend for heavier latex mattresses.

If you’re looking to keep your headboard and metal frame, you could replace your current boxspring with a proper heavy-duty foundation (instead of a platform bed), but you would end up going without the storage beneath. There are a few members here who make such a foundation that you may wish to take a look at:

Mattress.net… Spruce wood with cover. Gaps are approx 2.5"

USBoxSpring.com. Wooden slatted version with a high quality organic cover with slats that are 2.75" apart in both low (5.5") and regular (9") profile and an organic cotton cover. Ask about waiving the shipping.

SleepEZ. (2.75" gaps). Same as the previous US Box Spring version except free shipping with both high and low profile available.

FloBeds. more costly but with more and/or wider slats or stronger wood.

If you want more information about foundations or platform beds, you can visit the foundation thread here.

Phoenix