Electropedic's Organic Comfort Bed?

Hi there -

We started searching for a mattress a week or so ago and really appreciate all the information The Mattress Underground has available on mattress shopping. We thought we might go with an all-latex bed this time around, so have looked at a number of options. The one we have been really impressed with is made by Electropedic and is an all-latex bed (6 inch talalay core, with an inch of talalay on each side so the mattress is reversible). You can also get the bed made with dunlop as well, but we tested and liked the talalay (36 ILD core, 24 ILD surface). It is expensive (with the base, it is “on sale” for $3,700) and there is no ability to return the mattress (you can exchange it for a new one if there are any issues, but returns).

Have you heard anything about this company? I can find very few reviews on-line, although they have an A+ rating with the BBB.

We have also looked at European Sleep Works, but didn’t like their system. Their platforms with the slats only make it feel as though you are sleeping on a futon and the salesperson admitted the flexible slat platform is not expected to last 10 years. We also considered SavvyRest, but didn’t like the fact that their latex layers are not glued together, we heard this can cause problems with shifting layers and also found a few negative ratings about them on-line.

Any other latex mattress companies you would recommend in the SF Bay Area?

Lastly, I also read a number of articles that suggested purchasing an extremely firm mattress and buying the comfort layer separately (for example, putting a 2" latex topper on something like a Beautyrest Elise). Have you heard of anyone doing this? Is it an effective way to get the latex comfort with good support at a reasonable cost?

Thanks!

Hi martinman,

Yes … they are one of the options listed in the Los Angeles list here. You can see some comments about them in post #2 here and a forum search on Electropedic (you can just click this) will also bring up more information and feedback about them.

Their mattresses use good quality materials and there are no “weak links” in their designs. Whether they are the best choice for you would depend on your testing and how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with how it compares to your other final choices based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

When you are making comparisons between mattresses I would always compare “mattress only” to “mattress only” so you can make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses regardless of anything else that may be part of the purchase.

If you are also considering an adjustable bed to go with your mattress I would compare these separately as well based on price/features comparisons. You can buy an adjustable bed and a mattress at different stores because any adjustable bed can be used with a suitable mattress and they don’t need to be purchased together. Post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread may also be helpful with an adjustable bed purchase and includes some sources that you can use for value comparisons as well.

You can read more about component latex mattresses with unglued latex layers in post #2 here and as you can see you are not receiving accurate information and there are no significant issues with shifting layers.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the San Francisco area are listed in post #2 here.

This isn’t something that I would normally suggest unless you can try the specific mattress/topper combination in person or unless you have no other good options available. If you can’t test a specific combination in person then choosing a topper that works well for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is just another variable that can add to the complexity of choosing a suitable sleeping system and can be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress in the first place. The same topper can feel and perform differently on different mattresses. If you decide to go in this direction anyway I would also be very careful about choosing a “base mattress” with thicker layers of low quality polyfoam because even with a topper on top it can soften and break down prematurely.

A mattress/topper combination can be a good option if you use a suitable base mattress with minimal amounts of lower quality or unknown foam that won’t break down prematurely and if you get the combination right then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper instead of the whole mattress (similar to a component mattress with loose layers) but the challenge is in making a topper choice that is suitable for you in terms of the type, softness, and thickness of the material when you can’t test or feel it in person beforehand.

Phoenix