Emerald Cool Jewel Midnight and Hybrid Solstice

First off I can’t believe how much info i’ve been able to absorb looking around this forum!!! Thank you for putting it here!!

I know I found one other article in here referencing the emerald sleep products but I was at a store this last weekend and came across these two models and I would like an opinion or two. Here are the two models I am looking at:

Cool Jewel Midnight
Cooling Mesh along top and bottom perimeters
2" of Cooling Gel-infused visco memory foam (4lb.)
2" of Green Tea-infused, Open Cell visco memory foam with Air Flow holes (3lb.)
8" of Bamboo Charcoal-infused PU foam for support (2lb.)
http://www.emeraldhome.com/sleep-systems/cool-jewel/midnight-esgc12

Appears ok from the standards put forth on here with the exception of the 2" of 3lb memory foam in the second layer but at $800 for a queen I liked the price and feel of it. But that being said I’m a 220lb guy and don’t want this thing to play out on me in a couple months.

Hybrid Solstice
14" Mattress - Cooling Mesh along bottom perimeter
1 ½" 1.4lb ReAct Plush Latex (3.5lb) & PU Comfort Foam
1" 3.75lb ReAct Latex - Cooling Gel-infused latex foam
½" 3.75lb Cooling Gel-infused visco memory foam
3 ½" 1.2lb PU Support Foam
7" ReAct Core – Support from individually wrapped tempered coils, 850 density
1" Stabilizing Base Foam
http://www.emeraldhome.com/sleep-systems/cool-jewel/solstice-esh14

The solstice also felt good but I’m more concerned about what this ReAct Latex is and also that 3.5" of 1.2lb support foam as being the “weak link”. Price is just over $1000 on this one as a hybrid so again the price has peaked my interest in a “hybrid” model.

I was impressed by both beds that they seemed to be very open with what each of the layers consisted of, which is something I haven’t found on any other websites. Any thoughts or opinions anyone has on these two beds would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

As a side note to the previous topic, I live in the middle of ND and I have seen some references to Englander mattresses but I haven’t had much luck with my current one and really don’t care for the companies that sell them in town. Everything else in our local market seems to be the big S brands, not much for local stuff.

Hi mitzy_r,

As you can see in the foam quality/density guidelines here … the 2" of 3 lb memory foam would certainly be a weak link in this mattress … and there should be many better options available in this price range. I personally wouldn’t consider it even for normal weight ranges and certainly not in weight ranges above about 200 lbs where I would start to reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam as well. These types of specs would be typical of Zinus which is a Chinese manufacturer which makes a wide range of memory foam mattresses under many different names including Night Therapy, Spirit Sleep, Enso, Vivon, Keetsa and others. A forum search on Zinus (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them.

I would want to clarify the top 1.5" layer and confirm the type of material and the density (it has two densities listed) and I would also want to know the type and blend of the latex but overall these aren’t specs I would be comfortable with or consider either … especially with 3.5" of 1.2 lb polyfoam so close to the top surface.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but I would avoid both of these for durability reasons … especially at your weight … no matter how they felt in a showroom.

Phoenix