Essentia Mattress Questions. Re-opening of this topic.

Alright, I’ve read a lot of negative information on this forum about Essentia Mattress and how they are misleading in the things they claim on their website and especially about their “patented natural memory foam”. Unfortunately I did my research about them a bit too late and I already pulled the trigger on one of their mattresses (I got the Classic 8 for around $4000).

Now I haven’t seen anything posted about them since 2017 (I could be wrong, I just couldn’t find anything else) and read and re-read everything I could. Basically I wanted to ask around again on this forum to see if there was any additional updated information about them and I guess maybe see if there is anything else I’m missing that might assuage my worries so that I don’t have to try to go through the arduous process of returning this 150 lb mattress.

I decided to do more research after I received the mattress because I noticed a fairly unpleasant smell coming from it after I opened the package and had it in my bedroom. My girlfriend compared the smell to paint thinner but I personally think it smells more like rubber than anything else (which isn’t terrible I suppose). We both laughed because we were so adamant about getting an “organic” mattress made from “healthy” materials and found this one, only to be greeted to an awful smell after opening it.

After spending several hours now researching this industry I’ve found myself feeling very discouraged and distrusting. My mattress before this was from a company called Vivon and I was pretty happy about it for many years because I thought it was comfortable and didn’t think much else about it. One day recently though I decided to take the top cover of that mattress off to wash it because it was stained from years of sweat and shortly after removing it, I was greeted to the realization that it was filled with an incredible amount of fiberglass yikes. Obviously I ended up throwing that thing out.

So now here I am, with this Essentia Mattress, and to be honest I’m pretty pleased with how comfortable it is. I slept great. The only problems I had were with claims regarding their usage of “natural” and/or “organic” components as well as the fact that the mattress almost feels like it bottoms out when I drive my knee into it or step on it with a heavy amount of pressure. I weigh around 160 lb and my girlfriend is 130 lb. So we’re not particularly heavy. Either way I can basically fall asleep on anything (I’ve been sleeping on an air mattress like a baby while waiting for this Essentia) so this thing is definitely up there in terms of comfort overall. I’m just wondering about the opinions or experiences of users/admins here regarding this brand and whether or not I should feel comfortable and safe with the quality of their materials and claims. I included some pictures of the tags because I remember one forum admin (Phoenix I think) was asking if anyone had them in an older post. The actual legal tag says that the mattress interior is comprised of Natural Latex Memory Foam, so not sure what to think at this point but I’m assuming they can write whatever they want on there anyway? Also LOL at the writing on the green label, it seems so poorly written, and what does “beyond organic” even mean?

Also I wanted to mention I started looking through some of the mattress companies listed here on the forum, especially the ones that have locations in my state. I live in Florida. I found that some of them don’t have good reviews online and don’t look very promising either, which is disappointing. Especially considering so many of the companies listed don’t have some of the certifications I was interested in when buying the Essentia (GOLS and GOTS, etc.) The only one that really caught my attention is Fox Mattress and I’m planning on checking out their factory sometime this week so I can update how that goes as well. Anyway I look forward to hearing from anyone regarding my situation and thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Eh also after trying multiple browsers your website won’t allow me to upload my JPG images. They’re pretty small files so not sure why I’m having an issue but there is an error in red that says Image MIME type (%s) is not allowed (%s).

Hi. If it’s working out for you all, keep it. The acid test is the quality of sleep obtained. I almost bought their Dormeuse Fior then found this site. I wound up buying a Latex Mattress Factory Naturale which didn’t work out, then a Sleep EZ organic latex mattress, which did. Essentia’s too high end and yes, their organic claims are dubious but again, if you both sleep well on it, mission accomplished and no need to go down the rabbit hole unless you’re planning on a future purchase when the Essentia gives up the ghost. At least you’re now aware of this valuable resource.

Hi Egnatu.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Essentia markets their latex derivative foam as a “natural memory foam.” The claim is that it is softer a less responsive than “normal” latex acting more like what you’d expect from memory foam. They are GOTS, GOLS, and Greenguard certified so you can be assured that the latex is indeed organic.

It’s funny you mention the rubber smell. Latex comes from the rubber tree!

Even though the mattress is made with natural materials, it’s not uncommon for those materials to “off gas” the way a mattress with synthetic materials would. The upside is these “gasses” are not harmful to you the way polyfoam or true memory foam gasses would be. The smell is unpleasant, but shouldn’t last long. If it continues to bother you both, there are additional steps you can take to help dissipate the smell faster. Let me know if you need assistance there :slight_smile:

It’s an excellent sign that you’re feeling comfortable on the mattress. Like Burpleson said, the most important thing is that you’re getting quality sleep on the mattress (in that you’re well supported and comfortable). But, if you would rather return it, Fox is an absolutely wonderful company that I know you’ll have a great experience with.

Also, it’s not uncommon for a mattress to have that reaction when a pinpoint amount of heavy pressure is applied. Mattresses are meant to evenly distribute weight across the surface, not to perform under dense, microfocused pressure. I wouldn’t let that be cause for concern, unless you’re feeling that the mattress could bottom out if you’re simply sitting on it.

They actually trademarked that phrase. Essentially, they feel they go beyond just organic by using vegan, non toxic certified technology. It’s a marketing ploy more than anything.

I hope this helps in some way!
NikkiTMU