European Sleep Design & Pure Latex Bliss

Hi,
I have wandered around the site a bit and finally decided to ask a question regarding the mattresses I am considering.

I live in the Sacramento area and have been to European Sleep Design and The Healthy Bed Store and am considering a mattress from each store. Are you familiar with European Sleep Design? I am considering their Norwegian mattress. According to the website this mattress has a triple coil design. It’s been a while since I’ve been in the store (taking way too long to make a decision) as I recall there were two layers of coils that were separated by a thin layer of latex. Apparently there are three layers of coils. My concern is how well that will hold up? Is it common to have a layer of coils on top of coils? How do coils on top of coils hold up? If there are 3 coil layers, I think one layer is sitting directly on top of another. I don’t believe this bed has much to it except the coils. Can you please give me your comments/thoughts/insight?

Info on the Norwegian mattress from the store:
*Triple coil design
*Base layer of nested, highly flexible Swedish coils
*Middle layer of over 1,500 mini coils with 1" of Talalay latex
*Cotton knit quilted to a combination layer of wool and camel hair

The other mattress my husband and I are considering is the Pure LatexBliss Worlds Best. Details below. They advertise that Latex is practically the only thing in the mattress. I am wondering what the Active Fusion material is made of? Do you have any comments/insight/experience with the Pure LatexBliss company? Do you have any insights/comments/experience with this mattress? Can you find out for me what the Active Fusion material is made from? I have left a message with them but have not received a call back.

•6" Pressure Relief Layer: Talalay Latex
•6" Support Core: Talalay Latex
•20 Year Non Prorated Warranty with a 3/4" Indentation Limit
•OekoTex Certified Talalay Latex
•OekoTex Certified Fabric
•ActiveFUSION Climate Control Phase Change Technology in the Cover and Top Latex Layer. ActiveFUSION can help keep a warmer sleeper slightly cooler and a cooler sleeper slightly warmer through the night by moving the heat to or away from the body as needed for each sleeper throughout the night
•400+ Gram Weight Washable/ Removable Cover
•Natural Talalay Latex: Non Toxic, Allergen Free, Dust Mite Resistant, Antibacterial, Breathable

I have read your post about the needs: Pressure Relief and Posture & Alignment, and the preferences. Our needs have not been being met in our old mattress. That is #1 concern of new mattress. My number 1 preference/concern is that I get hot in the spot I am laying in. I am okay once I move to a cooler spot in the bed but this is not an option if I sleep in the same bed with my husband. I need a cooler bed. Also my husband is quite a bit heavier than I am and with past mattresses, I slept better once he got up in the morning. I had more support without him in the bed. Maybe that’s because the mattress was too old, but I am concerned, because he is heavier, that I purchase the correct mattress that will support both of us comfortably.

We have been sleeping on a mattress with a memory foam on top. My husband prefers the sleeping “in” feeling vs sleeping “on” the mattress, however, he thought both of these mattresses were comfortable. My concern with the sleeping “in” is that it is probably what makes me hot! My husband is also a hot sleeper.

I tried to give you enough information about us and about the two mattresses in question. I hope I didn’t make this too long.
I SINCERELY look forward to your reply as we MUST get us a mattress. We don’t even have one right now (but that’s another story).
Also, if you have a mattress(es) or store to recommend besides the two I’ve mentioned, please recommend.

Thanks!

Hi equipped,

Yes … I think highly of them and the Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses that they sell.

It’s not a common design but it’s also not uncommon to have two or more layers of coils in a mattress either. Microcoils are a very breathable and durable component in a mattress (see this article and post #10 here) and they certainly wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress that used them.

You can see the specs of the PLB Worlds Best Bed in post #2 here. It uses blended Talalay latex from top to bottom but this is also their softest mattress so I would be cautious and make sure you do some very careful testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) with both of you on the mattress and using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post because this mattress could easily be too soft for many people … particularly if they don’t sleep on their side or are in a heavier weight range. While Talalay latex is also a very durable material … softer versions of any material will also be less durable than firmer versions.

This is blended Talalay latex that has phase change gel added to the formula. There is more about what Latex International calls Talalay GL fast response (and PLB calls Active Fusion) in post #5 here and post #2 here.

While I don’t make specific recommendations for stores or mattresses because there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in a mattress choice for anyone to know which mattress would be best for someone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Sacramento area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #5 here.

Phoenix

You two sound like us 4 months ago! Hubby preferred memory foam and I preferred latex. We started out on two different memory foam mattresses (Mattress Firm allows 90 days to find the perfect mattress) - both seemed too soft and I was hot all night long constantly shifting to find a cool spot (which of course warmed right up). Both went back.

We ended up on a PLB Beautiful and I’ve NEVER been hot on it. Oddly enough, hubby is cold most of the time (maybe that’s why he liked memory foam), but does quite well on the latex. We tried the World’s Best and it was way too soft. As Phoenix recommends, better to do one slightly firmer than soft since toppers can be added. You might try the PLB Beautiful - it is the 2nd softest in the line and we ended up adding a 2" PLB topper (IDL 15 I think) and it was perfect! Glad we had the option for sure and spent about the same amount on the Beautiful + topper as the World’s Best. We also might try the 3" PLB topper if we need a bit more softness.

But the main point here is that latex really does not run hot. It might be the Active Fusion that helps (it’s also in the topper) but I had a latex bed in the 50’s and never was hot on it.

Oddly enough, we’ve slept on many Simmons pillow tops over the years (before we got the Latex) and I was always hot. Probably because of the memory foam in the top layers.

Good luck in your search!