Evaluate my latex layer design?

So after going through a bunch of online mattresses and ending up having to return all of them, I have finally decided to build my own latex layer mattress. I am a 5’9" 250lb side sleeper and prefer a firm mattress. I really liked the Saatva firm mattress but returned it because it made my shoulders hurt in the mornings for a bit. That was the only problem with it and I thought I could do better.
After researching this topic on this site and going out and trying a few latex mattresses locally I have conceived and ordered the following setup:

6 inch Extra firm ( 44 ILD) solid 100% natural dunlop latex core from SleepOnLatex.com
2 inch firm (38-40 ILD) 100% natural dunlop latex layer from SleepEZ.com
2 inch medium (30 ILD) 100% natural dunlop latex layer from SleepOnLatex.com
2 inch soft (20 ILD) 100% natural dunlop latex layer from SleepOnLatex.com
Natural cotton quilted to wool zippered Latex Mattress Cover

Will this set up be firm enough to not have my hips go lower than my shoulders but still be soft enough to relieve pressure on my shoulders?

I’m just curious why you chose 2" layers rather than 3".

Also, I’m in the middle of latex mattress research and came across Cozy Pure which designs zoned mattresses/layers. You might want to check them out. This is new to me so still in the research phase before I choose between CP, Urban Green Mattress and Savvy Rest. I know Phoenix has a post somewhere on zoned mattresses…

Berkeley Ergonomics also offers a 7 zone mattress with adjustable slat support.
My experience is superb comfort and support. However, you’re experience may be different since we’re all built differently and sleep in different positions.

Yeah I went with 2" layers after reading the pages on different designs for a latex mattress here. Basically since I like a firm mattress and I have already gone through 5 other mattresses without any luck finding a good fit I wanted to be able to really fine tune the feel if this layout didn’t work 100%. IMO thinner comfort layers would help maintain the firmness of the lower support layer while also allowing me to incorporate another ILD layer. If I had stuck with 3" layers I would have had a 6 inch core with only 2 different ILD comfort layers. Going with 2" layers allowed me to graduate the comfort layers more slowly whilst also allowing me to add another ILD layer so now I have a 6" core and 3 distinct 2" comfort layers. Hopefully I can play with those 3 top layers and get the mattress to feel right

Just a note on the companies out there. I took a look at Savvyrest and the others. First of all they are incredibly expensive. I would rather go with Flobeds.com or Flexus comforts if I was bent on buying a full latex mattress rather than components. They will allow you to customize it however you want. I decided on component purchases because it was muuuuuchhh cheaper.

Regarding a zoned layer, information on this site and others imply it’s more marketing than actual design as a latex layer will naturally have variations in ILD in the same layer to some extent. Also the graduations of ILD difference on most zoned layers is not so distinct to make a difference. I think if you get the right combination of comfort and support layers you shouldn’t need a zoned design.

Anyways, hopefully I will get my components by the middle of next week and I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Hi kapeed.deepak,

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just kapeed.deepak (or any username you wish).

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Your layering sounds like a reasonable starting point except given your higher weight and your preference for firmer mattresses the top 2" layer may be a little on the soft side but the only way to know this for sure will be based on your actual experience once you sleep on it.

Phoenix

Oh… Yeah please change it to Kapeed.Deepak. Thanks for catching that…

Hi Kapeed.Deepak,

Done :slight_smile:

You can log in with your new username now.

Phoenix