Eve Mattress

Has anybody encountered Eve Mattresses:

https://www.evemattress.co.uk/

They’re a British mail order co who only make one type of mattress (Latex & Memory foam) but claim its suitable for everyone and offer a 100 day home trial. They make some cheeky comparisons with Tempur on their website.

Great banding and marketing, but can a mattress of this type really be suitable for people of different weights, back conditions etc?

Hi paddyb,

While the Eve mattress isn’t available in North America so it isn’t listed … you can see my comments about these types of claims that are very common with the new “breed” of what I call simplified choice mattresses in post #1 here in the simplified choice topic.

The short answer is “no” and these types of claims are exaggerated but since most of these mattresses are in the firmness range that is in the middle of the bell curve that would be suitable for the largest group of people (similar to a hotel mattress) … you will generally find that any one of these mattresses will be the “best” match (in their budget range) for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet. While the only reliable way to know which group you fit in will be based on your actual experience when you actually sleep on the mattress … for those where the mattress isn’t a “good enough” match (either too firm, too soft, or where you experience “symptoms” when you sleep on the mattress) then they all have a great return policy that lets you start all over again with choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning it.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price or course and the options you have available after a purchase)

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that a retailer or manufacturer you are considering is willing and able to provide you with the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would affect the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. The top 4 cm layer of latex would be a good quality and durable material (although I would want to know the type and blend of the latex) but I would also want to know the density of the 4 cm middle memory foam layer and the density of the bottom 17 cm polyfoam layer as well.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix, this is probably the most comprehensive answer I’ve had to any forum post (and I use a lot of forums).

Lots of reading to do then, though I have been researching this subject for a while. I’ve asked the company to give me more info on the latex and form and I’ll let you know when I hear back.

Eve have only been operating for about a year, so there is limited info out there on them. A couple of reviews have mentioned Casper in the US, and after a quick look at Casper’s website I can see that they are clearly setting out to offer a UK equivalent, right down to the 100 day home trial and delivery in a box. I’ll take some time later to find out more about Casper, but I would be interested in hear your opinion of their mattress and their customer satisfaction levels.

Also, what are your views on the “mattress in a box”? It concerns me a bit that I’ve seen these compressed mattress on sale before, and they’ve all been very cheap and don’t appear to be of very good quality.

Hi paddyb,

You can see my comments about Casper and the materials inside it in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic and a forum search on Casper (you can just click the link) will bring up many more comments and feedback about them as well.

I’m not sure if you are referring to a specific mattress or to mattresses that are shipped in a box in general (which would be too broad a question for me to answer because there are so many of them that are different from each other).

I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else but my thoughts about the quality and durability of any mattress would depend entirely on the type and quality of the materials and components inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Phoenix

Thank Phoenix

Well I bit the bullet and ordered one with a £50 off voucher. Impressive service so far, no less than one of the directors of the company phoned me up to discuss delivery and offered me another £25 off to trial having it delivered in a new box (the only downside is that as the boxes are so new they don’t yet carry the Eve branding).

I asked him about the Latex and foam, answers as follows:

Dunlop Latex, 60% natural, 40% synthetic.
50 kilo Memory foam

Not sure what that means in terms of quality?

I was asking about the mattress in a box concept in general as it doesn’t appear to be as popular here as it is in the states and I had always associated it with very cheap memory foam mattresses. If you had replied along the lines of “it’s impossible to compress a quality mattress into a box” or “boxed mattresses are never very high quality”, then I’d have been worried, but from initial reading this doesn’t seem to be the case, or am I wrong here… still time to cancel before its delivered!

Also noticed that Leesa are now operating in UK, but are a bit more expensive.

Hi paddyb,

As you can see in the quality/durability guidelines here … the blended Dunlop latex is a good quality and durable material but the 50 kg/m3 memory foam is the equivalent of 3.1 lbs/ft3 which is a lower quality/density and less durable material than I would be completely comfortable with in terms of longer term durability and could be a weak link in the mattress unless the layer is relatively thin (no more than “about an inch or so”). I would also want to know the thickness of each layer and the density of the polyfoam support core as well.

Compressing a foam mattress for a few weeks during transportation won’t harm most good quality foams but with lower quality foams or with longer term compression (such as foams or mattresses that are shipped from China or stored compressed for longer periods of time in a warehouse) it certainly can. Compressing a mattress so that it can be shipped through courier can also result in savings in the delivery costs but some foams that are firmer or denser or stiffer aren’t as suitable for compression and in this case they need to be shipped uncompressed with a common carrier rather than through a courier. A mattress manufacturer will generally work with their foam manufacturer or supplier to make sure that they are using foams that are suitable for the shipping and compression methods they use.

As you can see in the simplified choice mattress topic … they use 2" of 3 lb memory foam which is also a lower quality/density material than I would be comfortable with as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for your advice. I think I’ll go with the 100 day home trial and see how I get on. At the price I’m getting it for, I’d be happy if I get fives years good use out of it.

Hi paddyb,

If the 3 lb memory foam is closer to the range of about an inch or so then it would have little effect on the durability of the mattress and the thickness of the layer above the memory foam will also have an effect on the durability of the 3 memory foam below it as well. If the 3 lb memory foam is in the range of 2" or more then you may notice “enough” foam softening to affect the comfort and support of the mattress well before 5 years is up.

In any case … if you are happy with your purchase in spite of not finding out the specifics of all the layers or being able too confirm whether there are any weak links in the mattress … then congratulations on your new mattress.

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Here’s the response from Eve I had this morning:

The latex is Dunlop and it’s 60% Natural 40% Synthetic

The memory foam is 50kg. but this isn’t the point. At eve we went through a rigorous process of consumer trials, testing out over 30 different combinations of materials and depth of layers etc. We finally arrived at the model we offer now which was loved by all. The eve mattress has an incredible feel and we are so confident you’ll love it we give you 100 days to trial it at home and if at any time you are not happy we’ll collect your eve and give you a full refund.

The latex and memory foam layers are both 4cm (1…57inches) and the base layer is 17cm (6.7inches).

I’ll will report back once its arrived.

Hi paddyb,

This is a fairly “standard” reply that really doesn’t mean much because they are talking more about “comfort” than about durability and these are two completely separate issues because you can’t “feel” the quality or durability of a material. While 100 days would certainly be enough to decide whether a mattress was “comfortable” and was a good match for you in terms of PPP … it’s not nearly long enough to be able to assess the durability of a mattress.

When you mention this to most companies they will usually tell you that the warranty will “protect” you but mattress warranties only cover manufacturing defects and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to nothing to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it will be until you need to buy a new mattress. If there is an actual defect in the materials it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress (usually in the first year or two) but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress is always a much more reliable way to assess the relative durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

The “somewhat good” news is that the 3 lb memory foam layer is only 1.57" thick so it’s not as risky as having a 3 lb density memory foam layer that was thicker.

Phoenix

I can’t comment on the quality of materials used in the Eve mattress, or whether it will last anything like the 10 year guarantee they offer with it, or whether it really does represent value for money. But I have stumbled across something about this company that does make me rather suspicious of them altogether…

You will notice on the Eve mattress About page that the directors say they have sold over 75,000 mattresses and their experience and feedback in doing so has shaped this ‘‘One perfect mattress’’ yet nowhere either on their website or on any of the press articles about the company does it ever mention which company or brand this was actually with - the only mention is that 2 of the directors and founders of Eve mattress were also co-founders of Groupon UK - no mention of any mattress companies at all.

I decided to look into this as I’ve been stung with a Groupon mattress deal a few years ago - most certainly not an experience I ever want to repeat as I feel that like the thousands of others, I was completely ripped off in a rather basic but clever bit of deceptive marketing.

In 2011 I bought a Clouds Memory Foam Mattress resulting from a Groupon deal that offered them at a huge saving off £RRP. I checked out the Clouds Memory Foam website at the time and it appeared correct that Groupon were indeed offering huge savings on RRP compared to buying from them directly - there were also many 5 star reviews dating back some years that also gave me confidence that this was a genuine deal and worth taking advantage of.

I’ll not go into the specific horrors of my scenario at the hands of Groupon and Clouds Memory Foam, but suffice to say it transpired that this really was not a legitimate or great deal after all… the website had only been created a few weeks prior to the Groupon deal and the reviews were obviously fabricated as the company was only weeks old, so I have no idea how these 5 star reviews from years prior could have been posted… unless of course they had been made up to support the Groupon ‘‘deal’’ (Clouds memory Foam website has since been removed)

There are still threads online from many other hugely annoyed customers that were caught out with this one.

See here: https://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/clouds-memory-foam-mattress-groupon-976981

And here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3603003

You would ring Groupon and they would say ‘‘You have to speak to Clouds Memory Foam directly, it has nothing to do with us’’ yet there was no way of contacting Clouds (apart from emails that were never answered) nor would they answer the phone… a complete disaster.

I looked into this at the time and the company that owned Clouds Memory Foam was another company called Wild Media Ltd based in London.

See here: https://www.endole.co.uk/company/07283788/wild-media-limited

You will note with interest that the 2 owners and directors of Wild Media Ltd that operated the Clouds Memory Foam scam are also directors and owners of this new firm, Eve mattress. They also seem to be the people behind Zen Bedrooms, that I personally have no dealings with, but it looks like another company that was set up to specifically benefit from Groupon type ‘‘massive false savings’’ offers in a similar vein to that of Clouds memory foam and certainly don’t seem to have many good reviews or feedback online either. Although nothing I’d imagine can be as quite as bad as the Clouds situation I was a victim of.

So, there we have it, the directors of this new company, Eve Mattress, that are claiming to revolutionize the bed industry and ‘‘offer one fantastic product at a fair price’’ and pointing the finger at the shady practices of the bed sector they are setting themselves apart from are EXACTLY the same people that were responsible for all of these shady ‘‘great deal’’ antics in the first instance!

I was also particularly galled at this interview from one of the owners of Eve Mattress and Clouds Memory Foam where he doesn’t mention anything about his affiliation with either Clouds Memory Foam or Zen Bedrooms yet states he was a ‘‘co-founder of Groupon UK’’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/smallbusiness/article-3075457/Mattress-boss-sleeps-easy-600k-funding-helps-firm-offer-luxury-high-street-prices.html

This to me means that Groupon were complicit with all of this, whilst telling us all that they couldn’t help us and that we had to contact Clouds directly - as it was them that had responsibility for the products they were selling… All whilst knowing full well that one of their own founders and bosses, Jas Bagniewski, was ALSO a Director of the company that owned Clouds Memory Foam and (now this new company Eve Mattress,) who also happened to be a co-founder of Groupon UK!!!

Granted this is a personal gripe of mine, and no-doubt the thousands of others that fell for this at the time, but after joining the dots here I can’t quite believe how gullible I was at the time - and to think that I nearly bought one of these Eve Mattresses that it transpires is owned by the 2 guys that were responsible for the initial nightmare makes me a little sick. I wouldn’t and couldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them!

Shame on Groupon also. They’ve made idiots of all us…

Hi okcomputer,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and your research and for connecting some of the dots … I appreciate it.

Phoenix

Thanks Ok Computer for your reply. Great detective work, but you’ve made a Paranoid Android of me!

I wouldn’t be surprised if a Groupon offer on Eve mattresses was to pop up soon, though they claim to have already been trading for a year.

I must admit I was a little skeptical about the amount of positive feedback they had on their website. I would have had a lot more confidence if they had used something like Trust Pilot. I did take the trouble, as I often do in these situations, to phone and email the company and felt quite assured by the response I had, though thinking about it again, having the director of a successful growing company phone me up to arrange delivery does seem a little odd. This was James Fryer, presumably the same James from Clouds Memory Foam who gave his number on the Hot Deals thread (did anyone call it)?

There was a new post yesterday on the Hot Deals thread btw, I think in reference to your post here, it will be interesting to see what other feedback comes in.

So I suppose the question’s this leaves me with are:
• Will they honour the 100 day trial?
• How much is this mattress really worth (or how much should I expect to pay for something of similar quality)?

Irrespective of the pricing, my thoughts are that it’s a bit too firm for me. I’m also home trialing a much more expensive pocket sprung mattress, with the intention of keeping one of them. I’m now inclined to instigate the return process well before my 100 days are up.

Hi paddyb,

I think that they would honor their trial period yes. They have been in business for long enough that there would already be many people that have returned it because it wasn’t a suitable “match” for them in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and if there was any indication that they weren’t honoring their return policy by this time their business would quickly collapse.

While price is certainly one part of the value of a mattress purchase … I would tend to choose a mattresses based on it’s “value” rather than on the price alone. There is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to “fine tune” a mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

I would also keep in mind that “comfort” and PPP are also completely separate issues and that both need to be assessed independently and aren’t mutually exclusive. In other words you can’t “feel” the quality and durability of a mattress.

There is some discussion about the specs of the mattress as it relates the quality and durability of the materials in the earlier replies in this topic but I would also want to know the quality/density of the base foam they use before making any mattress purchase. I would be a little cautious here … especially if you are in a higher weight range … because the 3 lb memory foam they use in the mattress. While the 3 lb memory foam is only about 1.5" thick so it’s just “inside the range” of the thickness that I would be OK with before I would consider a lower quality material to be a weak link in a mattress … I would also want to know the density of the polyfoam base layer as well so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other similar mattresses and make sure that the quality of the materials is suitable for your weight range.

There may also be other mattresses available in a similar budget range that use higher quality and more durable materials as well that aren’t “on the edge” in terms of durability so I would make sure you make some good comparisons with other mattresses you are considering in terms of comfort and PPP, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Just to another development to this, Eve have now changed the internal composition of their mattress, and it no longer contains latex. Now it’s a memory foam top layer, something they call “comfort foam” middle layer and the usual base layer. They still don’t freely disclose the material specification or performance attributes of their mattress, but in swapping out latex for memory foam and reducing the middle layer, yet acting like nothing’s changed, then surely their credibility is shot to pieces. So the one you bought PaddyB (and hopefully returned?) will be completely different to what an Eve customer would be receiving if they ordered one today.

I noted with amusement towards the end of 2015 that their description of the latex on the website seemed to vary between “all natural and organic”, to “natural and organic” to then, puzzlingly, “Laevo foam” (which they clearly just made up.) Knowing that their latex layer was only ever 60/40 they obviously had no right whatsoever to claim it was either “all natural” or “organic”, and I’d guess they’d been pulled up on that, and that was the reason behind the frantic amendments to their description.

However I was not expecting them to change the entire material composition of their mattress so soon, especially since they’d gone to great lengths to explain how it was the “most comfortable mattress in the world” and that it involved years of development and trialling to come up with the best mix. In changing their mattress they’re admitting the original version wasn’t all it cracked up to be. Strange they’re still using the same marketing lines with this new one though despite it being completely different, it’s still “cooler than memory foam”, and of course, “the most comfortable mattress in the world.” They’re trying to have it both ways and it simply doesn’t make sense. (There are actually still some references to latex on the website, d’oh!) Also, it doesn’t bode well for the warranties on those original versions.

As an aside, I read that Eve had secured some £2.5m venture capital investment and had launched in the US - taking their Casper-lite copycat right to Casper’s backyard - perhaps that’s focused some attention into getting quicker results, and is prompting these hasty decisions on their part. Feels like a throw of the dice to me. Their customer review manipulation also certainly seems to be gathering pace, as someone has explained on another forum: Eve memory foam mattress — MoneySavingExpert Forum , looks like they’re trying to clean up after themselves, albeit a little too late for people who’ve been watching them closely. Maybe those ego-massaging entrepreneurial profiles that alerted everyone’s attention last year weren’t such a good idea after all.

One to watch I think, definitely an interesting year ahead for Eve mattress.

Hi rye,

Thanks for posting the additional information about Eve Mattress … I appreciate it.

I didn’t realize that they are available in the US now as well (which I confirmed on their chat). They also told me that their top two foam layers are 50 kg/m3 density (which is 3.1 lbs per cubic ft) which if this is correct would be lower quality/density materials than I would be comfortable with (see the foam quality/density guidelines here) and that I would consider to be a weak link in their mattress in terms of durability and the useful life of the mattress. Their base layer is 36kg/m3 (2.25 lbs per cubic ft) which would be a good quality material but the upper layers of a mattress are the weakest link in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

I also questioned them about the type and density of the middle layer which they describe as a high resilience foam which is a different material from memory foam. You can see a copy of the chat at the end of this reply and their customer service rep doesn’t appear to be very familiar with foam types.

Their previous mattress that used latex would have been a more durable design than their current mattress so I would also question why they made such a major change in their materials if their first one was already as good as they claimed it was.

I agree it will be interesting to watch along with all the other mattresses in what I call the “simplified choice” mattress category.

Over the coming days I will add them to the growing list.

Phoenix

The eve Team
Happy New Year! We’re giving the first 500 customers of 2016 $100 off - just enter NewYear100 at checkout to claim your discount :slight_smile:

You — Update your info
Are your mattresses available in the US?

Nick joined the chat
Nick
Hi there - yes they are! We’ve actually got an office over here

You — Update your info
Can you tell me the density of your 3 foam layers?

Nick
Shipping to the US is also 100% free and the 100 Day Trial works over here exactly the same
So the density of the memory foam layers is 50kg/m3, and the base foam is 36kg/m3

You — Update your info
Thank you. How about in Canada?

Nick
So I’d need to check the regulations for us shipping to Canada. Every country has their own set of fire regulations and whilst we’re 100% certified for the US, we haven’t applied for the tests in Canada, so I’m not sure we’re allowed to sell mattresses there (yet!)

You — Update your info
Thank you

Nick
No problem :slight_smile: Just so you’re aware, we’re giving our first 500 customers of 2016 $100 off and I think its still valid - just enter NewYear100 at checkout to get the discount. I wouldn’t want you to miss out!

You — Update your info
According to your site the middle layer isn’t memory foam so could you tell me the density of that layer as well
And the thickness of the layers as well

Nick
Hi there. So the middle layer is a type of memory foam, but its just more breathable than other memory foam brands. Apologies, maybe the wording on the site is a little misleading

You — Update your info
High resilience foam isn’t memory foam and generally comes in a different density range than memory foam.

Nick
Ok, we have changed our composition recently and it could be that I got confused with the definitions. But I was certainly under the impression the high density layer was memory foam. If you’d like though, if you would like to leave your email address, I can get our head of product to come back to you with a better answer and also confirm the density of that layer?

You — Update your info
you can email me at [email protected] and if you could also include the thickness of the layers in your reply it would be great.
Or if you know them you could let me know the thickness here and then they can just confirm the type of foam and the density of the middle layer

Nick
Ok I’ll get our head of product to email you there, with all the details including thickness

Thanks so much Phoenix for the reply, and the excellent resource of information you’ve put together on this website, it’s appreciated.

I’d be interested to hear what the Eve Head of Product comes back with on email, if anything.

Hi I’m the OP of this thead, sorry it taken me a while to respond to your comments.

Interesting reading in the other threats. I feel a bit of a mug to have bought into their advertising.

My experience of the mattress was that it was too firm. The top layer was comfortable, but as a lightweight side sleeper, I don’t think there was enough give in the middle and bottom layers (the job done by springs in a traditional mattress.

I email the company before Christmas and requested a collection & refund. They suggested trying with a topper which they would supply free of change. The topper arrived, it was quite thick (4cm) and didn’t have any branding on it, just “cool touch” written on the cover. This made very little difference to the support properties of the mattress.

I arranged a collection and they took it away on Friday. The deliver men said they have collected loads of these. They refused to take the topper, said that they were only instructed to collect the mattress and have left toppers behind everywhere else.

Now waiting a refund…

Hi paddyb,

Thanks for the update and for taking the time to share your experience … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for but the good news is that you had the foresight to choose a mattress with a good return/refund policy so once you receive your refund you can start over again to choose a mattress that is a better “match” for you in terms of PPP.

They never did reply to me with the information that I asked for about the materials that are in their new design.

Phoenix

Well just the small matter of actual getting my money back and then I can confirm that the company at least have good customer service standards even if the quality of their products are questionable…

I think this is an American based forum, but I wondered if anyone can recommend any other companies/retailers who have a free trial option? I know Leesa are operating in the UK, but I’m not sure that the product is that different from Eve and I’m veering towards a pocket sprung mattress with memory form comfort layer. I think Argos will collect a mattress (and drop off a replacement at the same time) free of charge, but most other companies charge £40 or more for collection and expect it to still be in the polythene wrapper.