Eve Mattress

Hi paddyb,

Thanks for the update and for taking the time to share your experience … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out for you as well as you hoped for but the good news is that you had the foresight to choose a mattress with a good return/refund policy so once you receive your refund you can start over again to choose a mattress that is a better “match” for you in terms of PPP.

They never did reply to me with the information that I asked for about the materials that are in their new design.

Phoenix

Well just the small matter of actual getting my money back and then I can confirm that the company at least have good customer service standards even if the quality of their products are questionable…

I think this is an American based forum, but I wondered if anyone can recommend any other companies/retailers who have a free trial option? I know Leesa are operating in the UK, but I’m not sure that the product is that different from Eve and I’m veering towards a pocket sprung mattress with memory form comfort layer. I think Argos will collect a mattress (and drop off a replacement at the same time) free of charge, but most other companies charge £40 or more for collection and expect it to still be in the polythene wrapper.

Hi paddyb,

The forum is focused on the American and Canadian markets and unfortunately I have little specific knowledge about the UK market.

Having said that … some of the members here are from the UK and hopefully they will see your post and share their comments and experiences and some of the information and search links in post #5 here may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“paddyb” post=60572]
I think this is an American based forum, but I wondered if anyone can recommend any other companies/retailers who have a free trial option? I know Leesa are operating in the UK, but I’m not sure that the product is that different from Eve and I’m veering towards a pocket sprung mattress with memory form comfort layer. I think Argos will collect a mattress (and drop off a replacement at the same time) free of charge, but most other companies charge £40 or more for collection and expect it to still be in the polythene wrapper.[/quote]

If you’re looking for pocket sprung mattress in the UK with 100 day return then look at the Swoon Editions Smith mattress. It is pocket sprung but has no memory foam. It has natural fibres in the comfort layer instead. The price is higher than most other 100 day return mattresses.

I personally went with the Leesa but i will probably return it. It feels comfortable and soft but the cheap 3lb density memory foam concerns me. Also most of the for profit reviewers said the Leesa was cool but I’m finding it a bit warm. It’s not as warm as other memory foam mattresses I’ve tried though.

Hi DZ1,

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback all the way from the UK … I appreciate it :).

Phoenix

Had an email from Eve yesterday confirming return of mattress. Payment should be in my account within three days.

Swoon edition sounds good but don’t like the 4-6 weeks delivery.

Homebase in the UK are offer 25% off all furniture over £150 at the moment (they do this quite regularly at different %, but this is the highest discount they offer), and as an affiliate of Argos, I think they offer a free collect & return policy. Their main brands are Silentnight, Rest Assured, Airsprung and Sealy, which are quite common in the UK. Not sure if they operate in the US? These are mostly budget brands, but I’d value your opinions on the selections below. I’m wondering if I get a cheapish pocket sprung and use it with the topper Eve gave me (and I have another hollow fibre one) if that will suffice? Presumably the springs will outlast the topper, so I could get a new one when it wears out?

I’m about 137 pounds, 5’ 11" and sleep on my side. From info given, which of these would you recommend:

homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/furniture/beds-and-mattresses/mattresses#30744573456166767406811111798108101
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: Homebase | The Big Sale Is Now On | Up To 50% Off

I realise this might be difficult for those not familiar with the UK market, but I don’t think we have a comparable website in the UK, so I hope you can help.

Hi paddyb,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The process of looking for a mattress would be the same in the UK as it would in North America and the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Post #5 here may be helpful as well

I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances but outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Unfortunately none of the descriptions of the mattresses you linked provide enough specific information about the materials and components inside them to make any meaningful comments about any of them. If you can find out the information here about any of the mattresses you are considering and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if I can see any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that you have confirmed can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Eve refund came through today. At least they’re good for that.

Homebase offer now only 15% off (they seem to cycle round from 0-25% at different times of the year). Argos now at 20%…

Comparing like with like, which of the following Silentnight mattresses would be a better buy:

argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4598130.htm
argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4574642.htm
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4598130.htm| Archived Footprint 1: argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4574642.htm

One has a memory foam comfort layer, the other a latex “pillow top”. I’m guessing the pocket springs and other internals are exactly the same.

I would normally go for the latex as this is normally considered cooler to sleep on if nothing else, but read somewhere that pillowtops wear out quicker?

There’s little info on the actual materials in use, but they are the same make so perhaps we can assume the latex and memory foam are of a similar quality?

Ignore the 1/2 price, its nearly always artificial with these retailers.

Hi paddyb,

[quote]Comparing like with like, which of the following Silentnight mattresses would be a better buy:

argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4598130.htm
argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4574642.htm

One has a memory foam comfort layer, the other a latex “pillow top”. I’m guessing the pocket springs and other internals are exactly the same.[/quote]
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4598130.htm | Archived Footprint 2: argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4574642

Unfortunately none of the descriptions of the mattresses you linked provide enough specific information about the materials and components inside them to make any meaningful comments about either of them. If you can find out the information here about any of the mattresses you are considering and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if I can see any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern.

Without this information it’s really not possible to make any meaningful comments about the the quality or durability of any mattress and if a manufacturer or retailer or manufacturer is either unable or unwilling to provide the information you would need to make an informed choice then I would avoid it because you would be a completely “blind” purchase which would be very risky.

A pillowtop is just a method of construction and not a specific firmness rating or “feel”. It describes a mattress that includes a separate layer or “topper” in its own compartment which is attached to the main body of the mattress with a recessed edge (like this) so that the “pillowtop” layer can act and compress a little bit more independently and would feel a little softer than if the same layer was inside the main body of a mattress. While “most” pillowtops are in a softer range … they come in a very wide range of firmness options and some of them that use firmer materials in the pillow top attachment that would be in a firmer range as well. There are also some “non pillowtop” mattresses that would be softer than some pillowtop mattresses if they use softer materials in the upper layers of the mattress.

The problem with most pillowtops that are sold by the major brands or in the mainstream industry isn’t so much the pillowtop design itself as the quality/density and durability of the materials inside it because pillowtops that use lower quality materials in the mattress or the pillowtop will tend to develop soft spots and premature impressions much more quickly because they often use thicker layers of lower quality/density materials. There is nothing about a pillowtop that would make it inherently better or worse than any other type of mattress. It would all depend on which type of mattress your careful testing indicated is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP and making sure that you find out the type and quality/durability of all the materials in the mattress to make sure there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress before making any purchase … regardless of the design.

It’s true that latex in general is the most breathable and temperature neutral of all the different foam materials (latex foam, polyfoam, memory foam) but there are many other variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress as well.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range

Again in very general terms … the layers and components and fabrics in a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow and temperature regulation than layers and components and fabrics that are further away from your skin and mattresses that are softer will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses that use the same materials.

That’s certainly not an assumption that I would make and I would never buy any mattress where I couldn’t find out all the information that I needed to make an informed choice and to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi Paddy b

I’m also based in the UK, (London) and have been looking at the Eve too. Been put off by some of the past dodgy behaviour it seems by the leading figures in the company, it doesn’t give you a lot of confidence. I dislike the manipulation of feedback/reviews too.

Good news is that there are some others trying to get into this memory foam simplified mattress choice game. I tested out ‘The One’ Mattress from Made.com in their showroom and was quite impressed with it generally, and they include free delivery and a 101 day free returns policy. You can also get £30 off using the discount code GRADIENT at the moment, so it works out a lot cheaper than Eve too.

Phoenix, I’d be interested on your views on this too? They are a little spare on materials details I’ll admit!

I’ll be ordering this in a King size, so will report back on this thread on how I get on with it.

Hi UrbanAdventurer,

While nobody can speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP and how well you sleep the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you can find out all the information about the materials and components that you need to know (that are described in “mattress specifications you need to know” article that I linked) and post them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of the mattress.

If for any reason a manufacturer or retailer you are dealing with isn’t willing or able to provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and to make meaningful comparisons with your other “finalists” I would avoid it completely. Without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about a mattress and it would be a very risky choice.

Phoenix

Thanks for sharing this info. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts when it arrives. Where is their showroom? I can’t find this info on their website.

I’ll keep this as another option to explore if my next home trial doesn’t work out (and I really hope it does!). I’ve ordered a Dormeo Octospring:

They offer a 60 day home trial with full refund. They are significantly different from anything else I’ve tried and they offer a variety of options, which I have a little more confidence in over the one size fits all model.

They are much more expensive than Eve and One, but I phoned the company and they had some slightly different models that they produced for Dreams avail;able at a much cheaper price, details towards the end of this thread:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/dormeo-octaspring-mattress

It arrives tomorrow, I’ll update with first impressions then.

I hope the One really is the one for you, but as well as Octospring, SleepingDuck and Leesa are now available in the UK and offer 100 day home trials. There seems to be a new one appearing every week at the moment!

Leesa is a one size fits all that has been available in the USA for a while. As I understand it from this forum, there are potential longevity issues with some of the materials.

SleepingDuck are a newer company from Australia. It’s a pocket sprung mattress in a box with the choice of two different comfort layers, which can be be exchanged without having to send the whole mattress back (neat idea).

Hi UrbanAdverturer,

just looked into this after your suggestion, and I am seriously concerned. I am just after a lot of research into the Eve, even went to their place and met them, after pushing the US-based chat line Customer Service to let me know where i could test it without undergoing the ordeal of the home trial - personal preference, as I dislike wasting anyone’s time, including mine, if I know I can test the thing somewhere - so she told me where they are based. which actually can be retrieved from their website as well, It’s in London in Highbury and Islington - I later realised.

anyway,
more of this later, as this is not what i wanted to report on here.

the point is that my long research into the eve - i feel - has provided me with a certain sensitivity to their product and marketing, and after learning on here about the latest marketing strategies by such companies, including eve’s own people’s GroupOn adventures and misadventures recently, I am absolutely alarmed by how shockingly similar the One seems to be to the Eve. everything about the one website is similar - i would even say identical - to the eve website, have you not noticed?

if One really were a company trying to create their own niche in the market, they’d want to differentiate themselves from eve, would they not? and not reproduce a website whose only variation is the use of a different main colour than yellow! everything else is the same, including the animated GIFs!
I urge you to compare their websites. I bet you it is the same people behind a slightly differently packaged/marketed product.
and I wouldn’t be surprised to see more mattresses and brands popping up in the near future, in this same way.

consider this (and this is what I hinted at earlier): when I arrived at the eve’s headquarters, in a somewhat decaying building, upon opening the door I see some 40 people in an open plan, one-room office, all sitting at their PC desks.
I am in sales myself, i have calculated that the eve company and my own company basically have to have more or less the same amount of sales/revenue/costs per year. (Long story, but please bear with me). Yet there are 5 people at my company, only 2 of whom managing the whole of the sales.
I asked myself, why the hell does a company boasting about cutting the middle man etc etc, selling only one specific defined product, need 40 people? They don’t manufacture it. some company does it for them. Those 40 people were only the marketing/sales side of eve.
…precisely! call me paranoid, but i wouldn’t be surprised if those 40 people all sitting intently at their computers were doing precisely that, i.e. marketing, in the varied and articulate clever ways that this website has described so well on here. Might look like they’re creating this net of presumably competing mattress retailers so that consumers have a sense of sieving through the infinite number of choices and are comforted by their own thought that they’ve thought about it long and hard, and they’re now ready to purchase what they’ve come to believe is the better choice for them. In reality it is the same bloody company, diversifying itself and “packaging” its products differently; but the money only ends up in one bank account.
I hope I am wrong, but there is too much evidence out there - and on this great forum - to support (or at least to not dismiss) such possibility more than to support the opposite, I’m afraid.
Time will tell.
I am certainly grateful to paddyB, and this forum, because I nearly fell into the same trap and was minutes form buying the eve. and by the way, I happen to have had the same experience of it (they let me try one they had in that office for 10 minutes), it felt too firm for me. Stable and positively sturdy, yes, but not yielding where you feel you need it to. Not soft/comfy. Or even better: not different at all in feel and support and comfort than the , e.g., silentnight, which you can now get for £83 from amazon (and habitat were happy to price-match it). Now compare the eve’s £350 to £83? something’s up, I say. (and btw I am not praising the silentnight - I do think that one is like a “toy mattress”, a cheap thing that feels just that, cheap).

Thank you, too, adverturer, and good luck, good luck all.

Hi paddyb,

in my long research about this topic sometime ago, i remember reading that one of the big no-no’s is the idea that a sprung mattress could be vaccumed and boxed like the foam ones?
i am saying this with ref to your note about the sleepingduck?
thoughts?

I hope your dormeo works out for you, really do. we deserve some rest, don’t we, after all this crazy and hard mattress research!
:slight_smile:

all the best

There are machines that will roll and compress an innerspring mattress for shipping. There is even a new machine that folds the mattress in half before compressing and rolling to allow a smaller smaller shipping box to be used. Realize that in order for an innerspring mattress to be compressed in such a fashion changes need to be made in the structural integrity of the finished mattress, some of which are not conducive to a long comfort life.

When shipping springs in a component system, there are certain spring units that ship quite well compressed and rolled (mostly marshall springs). Even regular innerspring units undergo quite a bit of compression when they are shipped from their manufacturing facility to mattress assembly facilities.

Hi Matt-Less

Thanks for your research!

Though their website are similar, I don’t think Eve and Made are the same company or connected in any way. The Mattress in a Box concept was, I believe (and others will verify), started by Caspar in the US, and soon copied by many others with very similar websites and marketing strategies. Eve were the first copycat in the UK, followed by the others in this thread and there will doubtless be more, all selling very similar mattresses, each claiming to be unique, better and more comfortable than all the others!

It’s an easy to copy business model, relying more on a good marketing strategy and website than anything else. I’m sure if you, me and UrbanAdventurer had the time and a bit of seed money we could come up with something similar as a fly by night company (it’s just three layers of foam/latex, a nice cover and some well written marketing copy after all). If Phoenix came on board we could do it properly and create a real value mattress and we’d be millionaires by this time next year! If these companies really hope to follow their US counterparts, then they do need to ensure their product has some longevity and is of a certain quality ensure their products have a little more to them than the Silentnight you suggested, but only time and unbiased, knowledgeable reviews will really tell, and they are in short supply at the moment (I wish there was a UK version of this site!)

I did a bit more research into Made, and now realise that they have a lot more strings to their bow than just this mattress:
https://www.made.com/about-us

They have showrooms in Soho, Redbrick and Liverpool. They already make (or have made for them) a large range of mattresses of different types, so at least they’re not coming to this cold and I hope it won’t be a waste of UrbanAdventurer’s time & money to give it a fair trial.

My Octospring arrived today. First impressions, it’s quite firm without being hard. I felt comfortable on it, but I’m going to use the topper Eve provided with it tonight as I’ve got a busy day tomorrow and I really need to get some good sleep. I will try it “naked” tomorrow night!

Hi Matt-less,

I would add a “ditto” to Jeff’s comments about compressing an innerspring mattress since there isn’t anything that I can add to them.

Thanks for taking the time to share all your detailed comments and feedback about the Eve mattress and the One by Made mattress as well … I appreciate it :).

Phoenix

Hi paddyb,

Thanks for sharing your initial feedback and I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a little longer.

Phoenix

i like this post, we visit again for more updates , thanks for sharing this article.
https://www.cheapgrass.co.uk/

Hello everyone on the Mattress Underground!

Our product discoverability website that composes of cool, interesting & unique products for consumers to discover: http://www.SlinkyStudio.info. We thrive to publish engaging, informative and interesting content pieces - we hope you enjoy our content style! We’re in the process of reviewing the new wave of foam hybrid mattress designs and wanted to share one of our latest reviews of the eve Mattress onto this thread to help those seeking information as there’s not a huge amount of independent information out there. eve Mattress Review Please allow us to answer any questions you have, we’ll try to reply quickly.

One mattress design for everyone is certainly an ambitious task! Realistically the eve mattress has, for us, been able to truly prove it can provide a deep enjoyable sleep for different people of various weight groups, and all with different previous mattress preferences. As mentioned it is cheesecake in nature, offering a soft yet firmly supportive sleeping experience that may take some time to adjust to if coming from sprung mattress designs as we did. However, eve becomes habitual, and the idea of going back to sprung mattresses seems outdated and frankly simply not as dynamic when we want a good night’s sleep. Our bodies have never felt so rested and relaxed, that’s why it earns a full five stars!