Experience with simple life foundation?

So I desperately need a new mattress, and am hoping to pull the trigger on one in the next few days. After reading through the forums on this site I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with a latex mattress after only sleeping on innersprings all my life.

Anyway, my real concern is with the foundation. I’ll be going with a king mattress and a king foundation will not fit up or down the stairs for me. Moving in I had to bend my current mattress a lot just to get it up. So the folding Simple Life foundation is very appealing to me. However, it looks in the construction like metal rods do the majority of the support work. It appears to be a lot less surface area being covered then a wooden slat foundation.

I assume manufacturers wouldn’t offer it for sale on their websites if it was going to void the warranty, but I’m still a little concerned about it affecting the longevity of a foam and/or latex mattress.

Any experience with the Simple Life folding foundation or any suggestions on another quality foundation that can easily be assembled/disassembled?

Hi Luciusg,

You can see my comments about “wire grid” support surfaces for mattresses that have a latex support core in post #10 here. The simple life foundation would certainly be strong enough for an all latex mattress and would certainly be suitable for a mattress with a polyfoam support core but I (and other manufacturers I have talked with) share your concerns about the longer term risk of these types of support systems for an all latex mattress although it may also be an “overabundance of caution”.

There is more information about the different types of support systems that are generally most suitable for different types of mattresses and some good sources for each of them (including some KD or “knock down” foundations that can easily be assembled or disassembled) in the foundation post here.

Phoenix

Fantastic, thanks. I’ll have to look into the knock down foundations a little more.

Hi Phoenix! Still awaiting the arrival of my BB #BestMattressEver here, and am searching through old threads for foundation options. Mario of BB recommended this foundation for the mattress, but I wonder if you recommend a wood slatted one instead? If so, do you have links to some on Amazon that are appropriate? thanks!

Hi finnaeus,

You can see my replies to the same questions in posts #5 and #9 here

The Simple Life foundation would be a suitable choice for your mattress.

Phoenix