Experiences of tall/big/athletic side sleepers w/ DIY latex and zoned coils

Mattrebuild, you’re a genius! Zoning in the latex opens up a lot more possibilities than zoning in the coils, and allows for some flexibility and fine-tuning. I found this thread where people had a lot of success with DIY zoning, so I think that’s the way to go. Functionally, what is the difference between zoning in the comfort layer vs. zoning in the support layer? I thought I remembered reading something about the difference in one of the tutorials, but I can’t find it.

You’re right that it’s a bit of a wildcard going from latex to a hybrid. I think I prefer coils, but maybe that’s because I never had the proper support/zoning in our latex mattress, and I’m paranoid about departing too far from the latex feel that has been very successful for my spouse.

What was it about the zoning of the Combi-Zone coils that didn’t work for you? I’ll do some testing, but I think I’ll end up zoning the latex in thirds similarly to the Combi-Zone, so I’m curious what zoning layout you chose.

To clarify, do you mean my side would have 2" of 22ILD, 2" of 32ILD, and 2" of 36ILD, then I would insert 22ILD zones where needed (i.e. shoulders/head)?

I was also playing around with a design that wouldn’t require buying a “spare” layer for zoning or leave any unused pieces, though it assumes a zoning system split into thirds is the best fit for me (and it might not be). It would look like this, top to bottom, with the head of the bed on the left:

My side:
S-S-S
S-F-M
M-F-F

Her side:
S-S-S
S-S-M
M-M-M

A simpler design with fewer cuts would have no zoning on her side (just S/S/M), and my side would look like:
S-S-S
S-F-S
S-F-F

Thoughts? Thanks again for your valuable advice!