Expert opinion is Southerland, Bowles, and Holder

Hello,

Thank you for the information brain bump on this web site. Lots of great information.

I looked at three manufacturers of mattresses in the Indianapolis area. I have narrowed to the following and was look for some expert advice.

Holder Mattress (Kokomo/Carmel)
I looked at the Registry soft top model. It is two sided but expensive $2,400. Seems like an old technology, wool, springs are tied together not individual pockets, poly foam no memory. Felt great. Good support.

Does the two sided mattress extend the useful life of the mattress? Can it double the life? It seems like a good quality mattress, but extremely expensive compared to the Bowles and Southerland. Am I missing something?

Bowles
I looked at the Telluride, silver plus line with the euro top… Has soft side, 1.5 density foam, full sheet memory foam , pocketed coils, about half the cost of the holder, but one sided.

Southerland
I looked at two models, Capella Luxuryfirm and Sonata Plushtop. Both have full sheet memory foam, individual pocketed coils, same layers of polyfoam, one sided, but the Cappella has an added layer of latex. The cost for the Capella set is $1250 and 1000 for the Sonata.

Does the added layer of latex offer any additional benefit, longevity, or other value for $250?

Although I liked the Holder the best, the expense has me questioning it. Unless I am missing something on the Holder, my value sense has me leaning to the Southerland and the Bowles because the Holder was not that much more comfortable making me want to pay twice as much…

So with everything considered, cost, comfort, longevity, I feel the Bowles Telluride and the Southerland Sonata are neck and neck. What is your opinion on the quality, workmanship, and materials of these two mattresses?

The show rooms and staff for the places this site recommended were right on. Great people, knowledgeable, and professional

Thank you.

Hi CAC63,

There is more about the pros and cons of a two sided mattress in post #3 here. While it won’t double the life of the mattress it can certainly make a significant difference in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress if you flip and rotate it on a regular basis (see post #2 here).

[quote]Holder Mattress (Kokomo/Carmel)
I looked at the Registry soft top model. It is two sided but expensive $2,400. Seems like an old technology, wool, springs are tied together not individual pockets, poly foam no memory. Felt great. Good support.

Bowles
I looked at the Telluride, silver plus line with the euro top… Has soft side, 1.5 density foam, full sheet memory foam , pocketed coils, about half the cost of the holder, but one sided.

Southerland
I looked at two models, Capella Luxuryfirm and Sonata Plushtop. Both have full sheet memory foam, individual pocketed coils, same layers of polyfoam, one sided, but the Cappella has an added layer of latex. The cost for the Capella set is $1250 and 1000 for the Sonata.[/quote]

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

None of the manufacturers you listed include all the specs of their mattresses on their websites and I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) so I would need more information to make any meaningful comments about them but if you can find out all the information here about each of the mattresses you are considering and post it on the forum I’d certainly be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability or useful life of any of the mattresses and would be a reason for concern.

Different mattress designs with different combinations of materials and components will affect whether a specific mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP but your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) will be the best way to know whether a mattress and the specific combination of materials and components inside it is a good “match” for you and how it compares to other mattresses you have tested regardless of the materials and components inside it.

It’s also possible that a mattress that uses more latex instead of another lower quality and less durable material could also be a more durable choice but the only way to know that would be by knowing the specifics of all the layers and components inside it because the durability and useful life of a mattress will depend on whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress besides the latex.

Again if you can list the specifics of all the layers and components of each of them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the durability and useful life of the materials inside them and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if there are any lower quality and less durable materials that would be a reason for concern.

Phoenix