extra soft dunlop and layer thickness (DIY)

why does extra soft dunlop not get any love? it’s just about impossible to find. but i did find it, but it wasn’t easy.

i am not rail thin nor am i heavy and i found it the most supportive of all the latex i tried – amazing alignment. i would say it is firmer than a casper bed which is the only mainstream bed i tried for any amount of time recently and can easily compare it too. it still was problematic because of pushback so it did not relieve my pressure points, but if there was a world where only natural latex mattresses were available i would now choose, among the whole gamut of 100% natural dunlop and talalay, extra soft dunlop every time.

also i truly wonder why people say there is no difference between 6" thick pieces of latex and 3" ones. there is a world of difference. after having slept on stacks of 2" and 3" pieces and then just a 6" piece. the 6" had a totally different feel in both talalay and dunlop. there are postural and supportive as well as cradling elements that are missing when you lie on thinner pieces. and unfortunately the only way to really understand it is by lying down on it yourself.

i couldn’t believe how different 6" of extra soft dunlop felt vs 3" and 2" or 6" of radium nr 28 ild talalay felt compared to 2" and 3."

i know many people care that their fitted sheets are the right size for their mattress and won’t even consider such a thin bed but i truly believe many people would love a 6" thick of latex and budget constraints or not it should seriously be considered.

unfortunately latex’s pushback makes it a non-option as my final layer, but a 6" extra soft with 1" of cheap memory (like so cheap – under 30$) foam (i am not using the memory for support but simply to buffer the pushback. it might be the perfect mattress. i’ve tried it now for almost a week and it’s been a great night sleep every night. i made a deal with a seller so i got to try a 6" extra soft dunlop for a week with a hassle free return and it was so different than my extra soft topper. it is infinitely better…i am so into it it is becoming the new couch! and maybe even the official bed.

just want to say it’s interesting that two different mattresses are working out so well. but i now have a crush on an extra soft dunlop core.

Hi mattress maven,

There are certainly many people who like you prefer the feel of Dunlop vs the feel of Talalay in their comfort layers (including my daughter as one example) and it’s really just a matter of preference.

There are many variables involved in how two 3" layers of latex can compare to a single 6" piece of latex but you can see some comments about this in post #4 here.

As you mentioned the thickness of a layer is also one of the variables that can affect how soft it feels as well (see post #4 here).

Like any mattress design … it would probably work well for some people and not as well for others. Each person can be different from others in terms of their body type, sleeping style, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances which can affect how well they sleep on any mattress design. Just like any type or design of mattress … there are also some people that don’t like any type of latex at all regardless of its firmness or thickness.

It’s also not unusual that there are several mattresses with different designs that can work well for the same person and most people will sleep well on a range of different mattresses. As I mentioned in my reply in your other topic … it’s great to hear that your current design is working well for you and I hope it continues to work over the longer term as well :).

Phoenix