Fabric considerations

So after checking out all the brand name places and even ikea I finally found this website and upon your recommendation I ventured over to Quality Sleep Shop in La Grange, IL. It’s about 20 miles from my house but was well worth it. I have the Emily Pillowtop mattress on order, I should have it on Saturday 23 at whcihc time I’ll write a little review. The mattress felt great at the store btw and the customer support was awesome, ordered a bed as well… More to come … :slight_smile:

That said, I have a few questions regarding fabrics. The Emily comes with a tencel fabric. I was wondering if there are any benefits / cons to other fabrics. I couldn’t find any write ups on the site regarding the fabric itself. How is tencel compared to cotton, wool and any others when it comes to heat/cool, durability. It felt really soft and smooth at the store. I’m just wondering mostly about breath-ability and not sleeping hot.

Hi gregeet,

Tencel is a semi-synthetic viscose fabric made from the pulp of Eucalyptus trees and is a trade name for Lyocell made by Lenzing. It it a very smooth fiber with a soft feel and breathes and wicks moisture very well so it would be a good choice for temperature regulation (similar to cotton and much better than synthetic fibers such as polyester). It is also more environmentally friendly than many other viscose/rayon types of fibers.

There is more about the different types of fibers and fabrics in post #7 here which is about sheets and bedding but would apply to fabrics used in mattress covers/ticking as well.

It is certainly a high quality fabric that is very popular because of how it feels, its strength, and like other cellulosic fibers that are either natural (such as cotton or linen) or man made from cellulosic sources (such as bamboo rayon or micromodal made from beech trees) it’s ability to wick moisture and help regulate temperature.

As you know I think highly of Quality Sleep Shop and you certainly made a high quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Tencel is nice stuff! I usually prefer it to be blended with cotton for a little extra strength but the fibre is very nice and functional :slight_smile: