Factories in San Antonio Texas?

Are there any latex mattress factories in the San Antonio, Texas? My brother is looking for some to visit. He ran across a company called Cantwells. Have you heard of them?
Thanks,

Monte

Hi monte,

I don’t know the specifics of the mattresses or the pricing of Cantwell but they are the type of manufacturer who fits the profile that I would certainly include in any mattress research in the area (long term multi-generational manufacturers with a history in the community). These are the types of manufacturers who usually use high quality materials and have much better value than other outlets in the area.

I only had them listed in Corpus Christi so I added them and Denver Mattress to the San Antonio list in post #2 here which includes some of the other better choices in the area.

Your brother has some good options nearby :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I spoke with my brother over the weekend. He said Cantwell uses Latexco called Puralux and that it was a 50/50 mix. He uses 6 inches of dunlop as a base and 3 inches of puralux. Any thoughts to how good this is?
In total, I think he was looking for a mattress that was 11-12 inches.
Thanks,

Monte

Hi monte,

Latexco manufactures quite a wide variety of latex foams. Puralux is a very soft version of Dunlop which is made using a continuous pour process in thinner layers than a typical 6" Dunlop molded core and can be made softer than most other Dunlop. It is available in a lower density and lower ILD than molded cores that are then cut into thinner layers and is made to “compete” with softer Talalay. Because it is made in thinner layers … it doesn’t need the pincores to cure the foam and it doesn’t have the pincore holes or if it does they are added after manufacturing. To my knowledge (and according to their site) it uses natural latex but I imagine it is possible that it could be made in a blend which would lower the cost (and IMO the quality) of the material. the Latexco Talalay latex is called Talalux and is made by Radium in the Netherlands. In the eastern part of the country … Latexco tends to promote the Puralux as a comfort layer while in the west through their SleepComp division they tend to promote the Talalux as a comfort layer more than in the East.

Perhaps the base material is where they use the 50/50 blended blended Dunlop (which they call Durolux). While this too would be a higher quality material than for example a polyfoam … it would be lower cost and again not the same quality as a 100% natural Dunlop core IMO. It would however lower the cost of materials (and the selling price of the mattress) compared to an all natural Dunlop latex core.

Phoenix