Factory Direct Mattress Manufacturers near Los Angeles, CA

HI Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick reply. Seems like the 9" from Flexus w/ the dunlop core / tatalay comfort layer seems to def. provide many people w/ the right level of comfort and support opposed to the 12" (4 - 3" layers)…would never have guess that but the posts i’ve read seem to confirm my testing.

That said, I’m considering going ahead w/ the flexus cal king 9" natural latex.

Specs are similar to what a lot of your other readers have purchased from Henry @Flexus.
6" dunlop core (31 ILD)
3" tatalay comfort layer (22-24 ILD).

I’m about 6"4, 215 lbs and my partner is about 6"0 150lbs.
We are both primarily “back” sleepers (80-85%) and side sleepers (15-20%).

Does this sound about right given our dimensions?

Hi Leary,

I would use personal testing, especially with Flexus’s help, as a more reliable indicator because my thoughts would be based more on “averages” than the personal experience or needs of any particular person but this would be a fairly “typical” layering for many people. I’m 6’5" and 195 for example and primarily a side sleeper and some back and this would be close to my preference as well. Dunlop has the advantage of having a firmer compression than Talalay so the odds are that you can “get away” with a slightly thicker comfort layer or a softer core than may otherwise be used for primarily back sleeping with other materials but overall this would fall “into the range” of most people with similar body styles and sleeping positions. the odds are fairly good that this would be both soft enough for your partner’s hips and for your shoulders on the side and still supportive enough for good alignment on your back.

Again though, bear in mind that there is really no such thing as an “average person” and your own personal testing with the help of an expert is always much more accurate than the more generic “theory at a distance” that I can offer.

Phoenix

Hi,

Out of this list of La mattress manufacturers, which ones have all-organic latex mattresses? that’s what we’re interested in. And I could really use advice to learn how I can figure out if the claims for a 100% natural latex mattress is legit. There are so many that claim to be so but don’t seem to be true in the end.

I found Foam Sweet Foam online and they seem good. Any others? Any help or advice would be SO helpful!

BTW we started our search for 100% latex mattresses with organic materials by checking out OMI’s Organicpedic mattresses as well as Natura. We liked these but I had hoped to find a less expensive solution while still getting natural latex and organic cotton and wool.

I’m so glad I found this site and forum! It’s been educational browsing through these posts!

Hi essmith,

Assuming you mean “certified organic” … at this point there is only one company in the world … Latex Green … that produces certified organic latex cores. One other company … CoCo latex … uses certified organic raw latex to make their cores but the cores themselves aren’t certified.

Other than that … you will find 100% natural Dunlop and 100% natural Talalay (and be careful and specific here because some manufacturers call blended talalay “natural” and 100% natural talalay "all natural).

I’m not sure who carries certified organic or has it available (and if you want everything to be organic I would also make sure that the mattress cover and quilting was also certified organic) but a few quick calls should quickly find out. You can always tell if a mattress is 100% latex by looking on the law tag which will list all the materials by weight but it won’t say what type of latex so for this you would need to trust the integrity of the outlet you were dealing with.

The second post in this thread lists the better options in the Los Angeles area that I’m aware of including one of the members of this site. I also ithink highly of FSF.

There is great value in the LA area and I would suggest a local purchase because you have the best of both worlds … the ability to test a mattress locally which is more accurate and lower risk than an online purchase and great choices and value available.

The OMI and Natura don’t use all certified organic latex (they use Talalay and there is no certified organic talalay). Both of these are high quality mattresses (and the OMI Terra was one of my favorite mattresses that I tested). There are also many better value options available.

Are you looking for 100% natural or for certified organic? Post #6 here talks about the differences between blended, 100% natural, and certified organic latex.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’m so happy that I found this site! You are an amazing person! Thank you so much for all your hard work!

This will be my first time buying a mattress. I’m currently in the middle of research and it would be awesome if I could get some feedback.

Step 1 - Initial feel

-Tried a bunch of different mattresses at Macy’s and Flexus’s
-I’m 5’11" and 175lbs
-Mostly back sleeper, sometimes side sleeper, rarely stomach sleeper
-Comfort layer: Going for latex
-Not a fan of memory foam, polyurethane, natural fibers, microcoils, or buckling column gel
-Support layer: Going for latex or innersprings
-Not a fan of polyurethane, air, or water

Step 2 - Comfort and pressure relief

-Going to go back to Flexus
-Picked 3 beds
-Spend 10-15 minutes on each bed
-Determine if I want 2" or 3" comfort layer
-Happy with the ILD 22-24 for comfort layer

Step 3 - Support and spinal alignment

-Going to go back to Flexus
-Picked 3 beds
-Spend 10-15 minutes on each bed
-Determine if I want latex or innersprings
-Happy with the ILD 31 for support layer

Step 4 - Durability/Value/Price

-I have a few questions here and would really appreciate your opinions
-Which has better value, the Flexus latex core or innersprings?
-How much more durable would the latex core be compared to innersprings?
-Is it true the Flexus latex is mold, mildew, bacteria, dustmites resistant?
-Am I going in the right direction of my mattress buying journey?
-Any general advice?

Any comments, opinions, feedback, questions, critique, are all welcome. Please let me know. Again, Thank you so much for your time and I’m sorry for any inconveniences.

Sincerely,
Joey

Hi jchiu003,

I can see that you share similar preferences to me… and these are the same choices I would make on a personal preference level.

The only challenge of this step is that at Macy’s they can’t generally tell you what is in their mattresses but at this stage you are only looking for the overall “feel” so they can certainly be part of your “playground” :slight_smile:

This would put you in the “average” range of what would work well for most people.

This also seems to be in a reasonable range.

I don’t know the details of their innerspring but in terms of material cost generally latex will be more costly unless the spring is a much more premium version than you would usually find.

While neither would be the “weak link” of a mattress and would probably outlast the comfort materials … as a material latex would generally be more durable.

Flexus buys their latex from the same sources as other manufacturers and it would depend on the type of latex they used in the mattress. Post #2 here talks about the inherent anti-fungal nature of natural latex and why latex is also more resistant to dust mites. I have seen no evidence that latex is anti-bacterial and while I see this claim a lot … I have seen nothing to support it and it also seems to go against the evidence because when liquid latex is collected from the tree it needs to have a few drops of ammonia added to stop bacteria from spoiling it.

I think you’re following all the steps that are important … test for comfort, test for support, know what’s in your mattress to make meaningful comparisons, ask good questions, and deal with good and knowledgeable people … and you are doing all of these already :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick and detail response!

[quote=“Phoenix”] I can see that you share similar preferences to me… and these are the same choices I would make on a personal preference level.

The only challenge of this step is that at Macy’s they can’t generally tell you what is in their mattresses but at this stage you are only looking for the overall “feel” so they can certainly be part of your “playground” :slight_smile: [/quote]

That’s awesome! I’m honored to have similar preferences as you! =D

But yeah, I completely agree. The guy I spoke to at Flexus was much more knowledgeable and helpful compared to Macy’s

I see. I really like the bed at Flexus much more than Macy. When I go back to Flexus I’ll ask if I can try different ILDs. I have a question about ILDs. I like to visit foamsweetfoam too and I’m wondering if a talalay ILD 22 at Flexus would feel the same as an talalay ILD 22 at foamsweetfoam? Would there differences between manufactures? or is it more standardized?

[quote=“Phoenix”]I don’t know the details of their innerspring but in terms of material cost generally latex will be more costly unless the spring is a much more premium version than you would usually find.

While neither would be the “weak link” of a mattress and would probably outlast the comfort materials … as a material latex would generally be more durable.[/quote]

That’s no problem. I’m leaning towards latex just because of the anti-dust mite properties. I’m going to do everything that is covered in the 2nd and 3rd steps.

That is great information! I really liked the anti-fungal post/article in the post. I learned a lot and it was all very interesting.

Awesome! I’m very happy to hear that! Any recommendations on other good questions I can ask? I usually have a lot of questions, but I can’t really think of any? Does that mean I’m almost to the end of my mattress shopping journey?

Again, Thank you so much for your time and I’m sorry for any inconveniences. I really appreciate the time you take to answer my posts!

Thanks!
Joey

Hi jchiu003,

I’d say it probably does :slight_smile:

Besides good testing … just the standard questions so you know layers and components in the mattress (type and blend of latex and cover and quilting details), making sure you are aware of all the options that each one offers in terms of exchange or adjustments, and any other questions that come to mind from your normal conversations with them.

The goal is always to narrow things down so you have eliminated all the worst choices and are choosing between “good and good” which is clearly what you are doing. At that point it really boils down to all the objective, subjective and even intangible factors that are the most important parts of your own “personal value equation”.

Phoenix

I just want to thank you all so much. My mom has had some health issues that made her need an adjustable bed. My mom is used to buying her appliances/beds at Sears and promptly bought there, as she has been so uncomfortable for so long…just wanted to get it done. Something about the quick purchase didn’t sit right with me, I had heard some kind of reviews before. So last night I looked all over the place, researching reviews, and ended up on this site. My mom has a lot of allergies, and needs good support for her back. It would have been so upsetting to all of us if (a) the new bed made her health issues worse (b) she had to deal with the customer service issues if/when she decided to return the bed later on ( buying through a retailer like Sears). She has enough to deal with as it is.

We followed links on this board to a couple of retailers here in Southern California (orange county) and visited them today, tried out beds the way you all recommended… They were so knowledgeable and helpful! I feel like we dodged a bullet thanks to you all. Cancelled the Sears order. We’re going to end up paying more, but the peace of mind and quality of the product will be worth it for my mom.

I made sure to tell the store that we were referred to them by this site.

Thanks again.

Hi EBKinCA,

Thanks for sharing your feedback :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your (or actually your mom’s) new bed/mattress as well and it would be great if you are comfortable doing so to give some credit to the store you ended up buying from so that others can benefit from your experience as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I will for sure once mom has her bed…just want to make sure everything works out first :wink:

I can tell you that one of the places we visited thanks to this forums recommendtion, but didn’t end up buying from, was custom comfort mattress in mission Viejo, CA. VERY helpful and knowledgable staff. They also don’t work on commission and do not hassle for the sake of sales. Even though we didn’t buy there, mom had a MUCH better experience than at Sears.

jchiu003,
Did you end up purchasing a mattress from flexus? If so, any comments on delivery experience and comfort so far? I am moving to LA and looking into Flexus along with Latexpedic.
Thank you

Hello–

There are two supposed “factory direct” manufacturers in Ventura California about 70 miles from LA.

In an effort to shop local, I purchased a mattress from local company Organic Roots Mattress.
http://www.organicrootsmattress.com/

The model I purchased is the Santa Fe, which the website states is Organic Latex Foam.

Santa Fe - Organic Green
Unit 338 Foam Encased .75 Oz Pad, 2" Organic Foam
Non/Flip .75 Oz Organic Pad - .5" Organic Foam (1.5 Density)
Cover - Organic Green 2oz Org Cotton/1oz Org Wool
Fabric Content - 100% Untreated Organic Fabric

I am not happy with the product. It started to sag after only 7 months of wear, but not enough to invoke warranty. I believe is the cause of major shoulder and neck problems. After much discussion with the owner, I discovered that this mattress contains innersprings as well as soy-based foam. Neither of these were mentioned during the sale or on the website. I was so disgusted with the entire process that I just donated the mattress to charity.

The other local factory is Spencer’s
http://www.venturamattress.com/

I did buy a 100% natural latex topper from this place in an effort to “save” my organic mattress. So far I have been pleased with this item. But am very cautious about purchasing another mattress from a local company for fear of being lied to or ripped off again.
This company has almost no warranty on mattresses or return policy.

Has anyone else dealt with either of these companies?
Thank You

Hi Phoenix which of these business in the Los Angeles area would you recommend? I don’t have a lot of free time to go to many stores. I would rather go straight to best reputable one of this list and pick one of their mattress.
Thanks

Hi Ronald,

Outside of the members of the site I don’t make specific recommendations and even then it would depend on the specifics of what you are looking for. Each person can have a very different definition of “best” based on their own personal value equation so my focus is on helping with how to choose instead of what to choose. I would talk to the ones that are within reasonable driving distance on the phone and tell them the criteria that are most important to you (including your budget) and which materials and types of mattresses you prefer or want to test (step 3 of the guidelines) and then visit the ones that you feel most comfortable with after your phone calls (step 4 of the guidelines).

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,
Here’s my dilemma. I’m a big guy- 6’ 4" 270lbs and my wife is 5’8" 120lbs. I concerned that we both need such a different level of support due to our weight difference that it is going to make it difficult to find a mattress we both like. To make it more complicated, I like a more plush/soft feet and she likes a more firm feel. I’ve been considering memory foam and latex as an alternative to springs, but dont know which would be best in our situation. Do you have any recommendations for the type of mattress that would work best or us. I plan to check out selectabed, based on your recommendations here, as we live around the corner from their location. Any other best bets for our situation? Thank you.

Hi bedhead,

Before I started looking more seriously into mattresses, I didn’t know you could get ‘side to side zoned mattresses’. Basically, within one mattress, each side is customized to be more suitable for each person. It’s helpful when there are large differences in needs between partners. Lots of companies do this, so by no means are the two companies I’m about to mention the only ones that do this - they just happened to have good online material about it that I remember without digging around. Check out savvyrest and FloBeds websites.

That said, hopefully you’ve had a chance to check out the mattress shopping tutorial. The link is in the top right side of the page. It goes over the basics for how to find the most suitable mattress for yourself.

Hi bedhead,

Outside of dn’s great comments and suggestions … the first part of post #2 here has more about choosing a mattress that can match the needs and preferences of a couple with very different body types, sleeping styles, or preferences.

There is also a link in the tutorial post to the members here that sell mattresses online and many of these sell mattresses that can be customized separately on each side.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware in in the general Los Angeles region are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve been sleeping on a 6 yr old Sterns and Foster. I wake up tired and in pain in my mid-drift area. After tons of medical tests the conclusion is I need to replace my mattress. I actually tried to replace it shortly after I bought it since it quickly started to sag but after a home visit I was denied.

I’ve seen your LA list of manufactures but so many of them are pushing foam/latex mattresses. We have a family member who is very allergic to latex so have to stay away from those. I will never buy from Macy’s or another major chain again. Can you narrow down some good options from your independent list? I start out on my back then flip flop between sides. I also am in the stage of life where I have hot flashes and just can’t get a good sleep. I do move around a lot but maybe that is because my current mattress is so bad.

I appreciate your help!

Hi tiredgal,

Just in case you are looking at a different list … the Los Angeles list is in post #2 here.

I just did a quick scan and only 3 of them (Foam Sweet Foam, Electropedic, and The Clean Bedroom) focus mainly on latex and would be worth excluding if you wanted to avoid latex (and The Clean Bedroom has some innerspring / natural fiber mattresses although these are in a higher budget range). All of the rest would have either regular innerspring or memory foam mattresses that don’t have any latex.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

There is also more in post #2 here about the factors that can affect sleeping temperature that may be helpful in helping you identify materials and components that may sleep cooler.

Phoenix