Factory Direct mattress manufacturers near New York City, NY

Hi Lina,

HD means high density and HR means high resilience and these are two different grades of polyfoam. There is no HDHR polyfoam. You can read a little more about HD and HR polyfoam in this article and in this article.

There would be no way for me to know which mattress you are referring to since these materials (especially HD polyfoam) are very common in mattresses. The only way to track it down would be knowing the name of the manufacturer who made it.

Polyfoam (or memory foam) is never a natural material and is made mostly from petrochemicals. You can see the foam quality guidelines that I would suggest using in post #4 here and as you can see the polyfoam and the memory foam used in the Pure Crafted Beds are all high quality materials and there are no weak links in their mattresses.

The choice of materials in a mattress is always a personal preference and there are many different designs for each type of mattress so a mattress that works well for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on. The only way to know for certain whether any mattress is a good match for you would be based on your own personal testing or experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Pure Crafted Beds is a member here which means that I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry. You can see some thoughts about them in post #2 here

It would have been partly because the design of the mattress would have been a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and partly that you seem to prefer the “feel” of the materials that were in it.

Phoenix

hi, t looks like it never ends but as I keep reading your reply in different topics I find more and more information but there I have more questions. I just discovered recommended by you SleepEz, they look good.

1. Did I understood your comment correctly that their mattresses are very similar in quality to Savvy Rest? The prize difference is impressive. They are also less expensive then Asrobeds. Does it mean that the mattresses have less quality?
  2. my previous question: Does three layers make it much more better, more comfortable and supportive then 2 layers? The three layers are more expensive but is it worst it?
    Thank you,
    Lina

Hi Lina,

I would make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here.

Yes … you can read more about how they compare in post #4 here.

I’m guessing you mean Astrabeds? If that’s correct then you can see some of my comments about Astrabeds and some of their sister companies in post #2 here and in post #3 here and a forum search on Astrabeds (you can just click this) will bring up more information about them as well. They have recently introduced a new latex lineup that uses organic Dunlop latex (see posts #6 and #7 here)

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that will help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The quality of a mattress and how it compares to other mattresses depends on the type and quality of the materials inside it and often has very little to do with the price of the mattress. For example the Astrabeds HarmonyBed includes three 3" layers of 100 % natural organic Dunlop inside a cotton zip cover quilted with wool and is listed for $2199 in queen. It would be most closely comparable to the SleepEZ 10" natural latex mattress with 100% natural Dunlop layers (they also have Talalay latex available as an option as well) which lists for $1750 (less an additional 5% discount for the forum members here) except the Dunlop latex wouldn’t be certified organic. The quality, performance, and durability of 100% natural Dunlop and 100% natural organic Dunlop is the same except for the organic certification itself so you would need to decide whether the additional cost for an organic certification was worth it to you. You can read more about organic Dunlop and the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Whether it’s “worth it” to you or not would depend on whether two layers or three layers was a better match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

The best way to decide on the type of latex, how many layers, or the firmness level for each layer that would be best for you would be based on your own personal testing on a specific mattress (or a mattress that was closely comparable). When you can’t test a mattress in person then the best way to decide the type, number, and firmness of the layers that would be best for you would be based on a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the best chance of success based on the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix, since you put together an amalgamated list of NYC-area manufacturers/retailers in this thread, I would add Healthy Choice to the list. It’s the only place I found in my research that sells an all latex mattress in the Northern NYC suburbs (where the OP said he/she was from). We had a good experience there and have really liked our mattress in the four months or so we have owned it.

Hi sas95,

They are already on several lists (including the Monroe/Newark, NJ list and the White Plains/Scarsdale, NY list and Connecticut list but I agree it makes sense to add them to the New York City, NY list as well which I’ve done.

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Phoenix

WJ Southard also has a few retailers within driving distance of NYC (though not right in the city or boroughs). They make all-organic all-latex, if that’s what someone is looking for!

Lina,
We use Certified Organic components (Latex, Cotton Cover, Wool). There are more expenses involved to farm and produce organic products as well as it being much more labor intensive, hence the price difference.

Our mattresses are most comparable to Savvy Rest and OrganicPedic. I would not argue that there is a difference in quality of product in purchasing organic vs non rather personal preference and support of more sustainable farming and manufacturing methods.

Two layers compared to three layers does not make a mattress better per se, it does however allow you as the consumer more flexibility in finding your perfect comfort level. Our mattresses have layers that are not glued and are interchangeable allowing you to change out certain layers to make the mattress either more or less firm. You also have the option to choose split firmness levels for you and your partner if need be. If he/she likes his side firm and you like your side soft, this is attainable with our product. This allows our customers to zero in on what feels right to them when sleeping.

Depending on the person(s) preferences and other qualifying factors, this would play an important role in determining whether two or three layers are the right decision for you

Hi Astrabeds,

I’m not so sure that these would be the “best” comparisons to your mattresses in spite of the fact that both of them are similar since both of them are among the more costly component latex mattresses in the industry and there are many other online (or sometimes local) manufacturers or retailers that use the same or very similar materials and components and have a similar design that are in much lower budget ranges than either Savvy Rest or Organicpedic.

In spite of their higher cost … the biggest advantage for Savvy Rest is that they have a network of local dealers that allows consumers to try them in person so for some people a local purchase that they can test in person may justify a higher price.

Organicpedic (along with Naturepedic) also have an organic certification for the mattress itself (not just the materials) and are also available locally in many retail stores across the country so for some people this may also justify a higher price.

In more realistic terms though … for most people your main “competition” would be other similar mattresses that are in much lower budget ranges than either Organicpedic or Savvy Rest.

Phoenix

OMG, I almost got fooled by Astrabeds getting a #1 rating from “mattress review” sites until I read your posts. Thanks again for setting me straight, Phoenix.

Hi, I’ve enjoyed reading this board as I’m a voracious researcher in all my purchases. Little did I realize the rabbit hole I was diving into when looking for a bed, wow.

Does anyone have personal buying experiences with some of our NJ retailers such as Urban Natural in East Hanover, Shovlin in Fanwood and the 2 stores in Bernadsville?

Obviously I’m looking for a quality mattress and wondering which of these retailers will work a bit on price.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Raging Poodle,

I don’t have any personal experience with buying a mattress from any of them but I can make a few comments that may be helpful and hopefully any of the forum members that have purchased a mattress from any of them will see your post and share their comments as well.

You will find that most better retailers or manufacturers don’t negotiate on price and sell their mattresses at their “best price” every day of the year rather than artificially inflating their prices and then “negotiating” to give the impression of better value based on an inflated “regular price”. There is more about negotiating in post #6 here.

Shovlin Mattress Factory is a member of this site which means I think very highly of them and Ron the owner and they also provide a 5% discount to the members of this forum on their mattresses. A forum search on Shovlin (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts that mention them.

I have also talked with Ali at Urban Natural and they are also very knowledgeable and transparent and also provide a 5% discount to the members of this site. A forum search on Urbannatural and an “exact term” site search on “urban natural” (you can just click both links) will also bring up all the forum posts that mention them as well. ADDED: They are now a member of the site as well.

Forum searches on theorganicnest and on Hibernate Bedding will also bring up all the posts that mention them as well. There are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of the Land & Sky mattresses. There are also no lower quality materials or weak links in any of the OMI (Organicpedic) or Savvy Rest mattresses at Hibernate Bedding but I would make sure you can find out the specifics of all the materials in any of the Paramount mattresses there that you may be interested in. I would also make some careful value comparisons because some of their mattresses may be in higher budget ranges than other similar mattresses.

There is also more information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of their suitability, durability, and “value”.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=50477]Hi Raging Poodle,

[quote]Does anyone have personal buying experiences with some of our NJ retailers such as Urban Natural in East Hanover, Shovlin in Fanwood and the 2 stores in Bernadsville?

Obviously I’m looking for a quality mattress and wondering which of these retailers will work a bit on price.[/quote]

I don’t have any personal experience with buying a mattress from any of them but I can make a few comments that may be helpful and hopefully any of the forum members that have purchased a mattress from any of them will see your post and share their comments as well.

You will find that most better retailers or manufacturers don’t negotiate on price and sell their mattresses at their “best price” every day of the year rather than artificially inflating their prices and then “negotiating” to give the impression of better value based on an inflated “regular price”. There is more about negotiating in post #6 here.

Shovlin Mattress Factory is a member of this site which means I think very highly of them and Ron the owner and they also provide a 5% discount to the members of this forum on their mattresses. A forum search on Shovlin (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts that mention them.

I have also talked with Ali at Urban Natural and they are also very knowledgeable and transparent and also provide a 5% discount to the members of this site. A forum search on Urbannatural and an “exact term” site search on “urban natural” (you can just click both links) will also bring up all the forum posts that mention them as well.

Forum searches on theorganicnest and on Hibernate Bedding will also bring up all the posts that mention them as well. There are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of the Land & Sky mattresses. There are also no lower quality materials or weak links in any of the OMI (Organicpedic) or Savvy Rest mattresses at Hibernate Bedding but I would make sure you can find out the specifics of all the materials in any of the Paramount mattresses there that you may be interested in. I would also make some careful value comparisons because some of their mattresses may be in higher budget ranges than other similar mattresses.

There is also more information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of their suitability, durability, and “value”.

Phoenix[/quote]

Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply.

I wound up going to Urban Natural yesterday and buying the Chelsea Queen (The 2 layer of springs version).

I wound up buying a floor model as those were 20 percent off as his showroom is moving to Bergen County. So I got the mattress and the slat system off the floor both 20 percent off. I wound up buying a cover and 2 shredded latex pillow as well, we slept with the pillows last night and I liked the neck support as I’m a side sleeper.

All said and done with tax I was 2550 out the door with delivery, and the bed arrived today and we have already napped. While it still seems pricey to me time was of the essence and it’s a quality product. I would have had to really think twice if things weren’t 20 percent off, not because I don’t think it’s a good product but it’s still a lot of money for a “bed” if you get my drift. My fiancee has steel rods in her back and since she is an angel I decided to get a top of the line bed for her comfort since I can pretty much sleep on anything, lol.

I will update on our sleep experiences on our new, fancy mattress!

Hi Raging Poodle,

You were certainly dealing with a knowledgeable retailer and ended up making a high quality choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit … and I hope that your mattress is “fit for an angel”!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
It is Lina. I wan to thank you fro incredible help you offer on this site. I am deeply grateful fro your knowledge and honesty and generosity of your time. I eventually bought my mattress. I bought it on line from CozyPure and I want to share with you my experience. May be it will help other people. The person I was in contact with is Susan Brown, their sales manager. She is very, very special person. There were allot of problems with my order because the arrival of latex was late and with the arranging the delivery to my house because I am hard of hearing and could not hear the call of movers. Susan took care of everything, she was many, many times in contact with me helping with every aspect. I felt that there on the other side was a real human being and not a sale machine. I got a hotel package from them that included bedding and two woolen comforters and the LaNoodle top. I totally fall in love with my mattress the first night I slept on it. Now it is almost a month since I got it and I love it. Linens are beautiful and I am now going to bed earlier because my bed really changed the way I sleep. I have now much less back pain, I wake up fine. I totally love my hand tied woolen comforter. The only problem I got is with their quilted comforter. It is beautiful but unfortunately wool in it has a smell that is too strong for me. Susan said it will go away but not yet. In anyway I would highly recommend this company to everybody.
I hope not to worry about my bed now for a long time.
Many thanks,
Lina.

Hi Lina,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and for your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

As you know you certainly made a very high quality choice and it’s great to hear that your mattress and sleeping system is working out so well for you.

As Susan mentioned the small of new wool can linger for a bit but it will dissipate. Airing it out can also help speed the process up.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
Are you sure that Wright bed 2.4l lb polyfoam base layer is correct? Their site shows

Base Layer: 6" 1.8lb Density 30 ILD base foam

Hi Ari,

Thanks for the update on that! The original post was a few years old and I see they’ve changed a few of their foams specs, which I’ve updated on the site.

Thank you!

Phoenix

Their change is disappointing!

Hi Ari,

Their mattress still uses some high quality materials, especially the multiple layers of high performance polyfoam, and for most people (under the low 200s or so) would contain componentry that was durable. I’m not familiar with the specific reasoning for the changes, but they are constantly evolving their design.

Phoenix

I like them a lot and they do recommend the bed for higher weight ranges anyway. Was just something I noticed :slight_smile: