Factory Seconds and Online Links

Hi Phoneix your knowledge is amazing!

Are there any other topper factories that sell seconds/ clearance/ foam that has visual blemishes/ etc? Which ones besides the below can I try to buy 3" Dunlop and Talalay Toppers (* both online and through the phone), I know there has been other posts with this info, I just have a hard time finding them with the search since they aren’t pinned. I am trying to save money and natural or 70%> natural/ blended Dunlop seems the hardest to find at a good price online so trying to think outside the box. May I suggest you pin a thread like mine on the forum with all the online retailers and discounted / clearance manufactures for easier reference .

The ones I have tried so far are:

I tried out these Savvy rest models and liked the feel (they use latex international -Talalay and latex green -Dunlop)

Option 1 Queen Size
3" Natural Soft Dunlop (22-30 ILD)
3" Natural Soft Talalay (N2: 20-34 ILD)
3" Natural Medium Dunlop (31-39 ILD)

Option 2 Queen Size
3" Natural Soft Talalay (N2:20-24 ILD)
3" Natural Medium Dunlop (31-39 ILD)
3" Natural Firm Dunlop (40 ILD)

If a online seller is offering this for a discounted price should it be used as a core (zoned core) and will I notice a difference I can feel between the above configurations and the below, should I go the firmer route if I choose to go this way. Should I get the 7 zone if it has more natural or the 3 zone… isn’t more natural dunlop better for a core then synthetic in the latex blend?

3" 100% Natural Dunlop Soft
3" Natural Talalay Soft (N2) from Latex International
6" 3 Zone Dunlop only 25% natural Core blend (32-35-32 ILD) / (37-40-37 ILD) or 5" 7 Zone Innergetic Core 75% natural blend (32 ILD)

Does a dunlop core/base firm up a bed, I noticed that compared to a all talalay bed?

If you buy 3X 2" toppers would it feel the same as a 6" core if they were the same density and firmness?

This Cover would it be close to the Savvy Rest flat wool/cotton cover - it was pretty flat, their cover lets you feel the foam better and isn’t as bulky as those pillowed mattress covers. If not do you have a better one to take a look at, I’ve read the other posts on this wanted to see some pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150904964964?var=450118428656&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hi passionate4nature,

Many of the better sources I’m aware of for latex toppers or mattress components are listed in post #4 here. There are a couple listed there that you didn’t include but I don’t specifically keep any records of retailers who sell seconds or exchanged layers.

I don’t know if I can answer this without knowing the specifics of the layer and the design of the mattress you are planning to use it in. If you are comfortable buying “seconds” then I would use it in the same way I would use a new layer.

Dunlop has a higher compression modulus than Talalay latex (it gets firmer faster with deeper compression than Talalay once you are past the 25% compression where ILD is measured) so in an equivalent ILD it will usually feel firmer than Talalay yes. This is one of the reasons why some people like to use it in support layers but which may be “better” for a particular person depend entirely on the design goal of the mattress and the preferences of the person. Dunlop and Talalay have a different “feel” as well (see post #7 here).

Separate layers act a little bit more independently from each other and can “act” a little bit softer than a single layer but this would be more noticeable in the upper layers (say 3 x 1" layers vs a single 3" layer for example) than in the deeper layers for most (but not all) people assuming all the layers you are comparing are the same ILD.

The components/topper post I listed earlier also has some of the better sources for covers I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Hey Phoneix Thank you so much for your help but in your reply I did not notice this answered.

The above I was most curious if the Savvy configurations would be close to using a zonned 6" layer for a base. I was also curious if I should get the 5" Innergetic with 7 zones over the 3 zones because a more natural dunlop is more durable. Would I notice a huge difference since the zoned cores come at 35ILD and the firm separate Savvy configuration has a 40+ firm on the bottom? With that much foam would the 6" even feel differences using a medium or firm lower 6"?

Thanks again Phoneix!!

Hi passionate4nature,

[quote]Hey Phoneix Thank you so much for your help but in your reply I did not notice this answered.

The above I was most curious if the Savvy configurations would be close to using a zonned 6" layer for a base. I was also curious if I should get the 5" Innergetic with 7 zones over the 3 zones because a more natural dunlop is more durable. Would I notice a huge difference since the zoned cores come at 35ILD and the firm separate Savvy configuration has a 40+ firm on the bottom? With that much foam would the 6" even feel differences using a medium or firm lower 6"?[/quote]

You can see my thoughts on zoning in this article. The “benefits” of 7 zones would depend on the specifics of the zoning itself, how they fit the person on the mattress, and the design of the mattress overall but in most cases I don’t think 7 zones are particularly beneficial and the zones themselves may in some cases be less than the natural ILD differences across the surface of the layer.

Savvy Rest doesn’t have zoned layers so they would not be the same as zoned latex although if someone couldn’t feel the zoning in a layer either because the zones were so close together in ILD or because the comfort layer was thick or firm enough to mostly obscure them or because the zoned layer was too deep in the mattress to really notice … then a single zoned layer may feel very similar or even the same to that person.

If you are familiar with the feel and performance of Innergetic and you prefer it over other types of natural Dunlop and it is also available to you for purchase, then like most blended or natural Dunlop it could certainly make a good quality choice.

Phoenix