FCO latex/memory foam hybrid?

Hi dgtlman,

I’m not sure which of their mattresses you purchased but if it’s one of their mattresses with an exchangeable comfort layer then it may be worthwhile exchanging for a softer top layer.

There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful if your mattress is too firm.

The only comment on the forum about futoncoversonline is in this topic but it’s not about this mattress.

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is it’s durability and in terms of durability a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type, quality, and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer or the name of the mattress on the label. In other words I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components in a mattress to the quality/durability guidelines I linked earlier in this reply and confirm there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any mattress purchase. I would also only deal with retailers or manufacturers that are both willing and able to provide you with all the information and specifications you need to make an informed choice.

The FCO Latex and Memory Foam Hybrid Mattress doesn’t include any information about the density of their polyfoam base layers which I would want to know before making a purchase but the top two layers use Talalay latex and 4 lb memory foam which are both good quality and durable materials that wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress as long as you aren’t in a higher weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so where I would reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam).

There is also some misinformation on their site which I would question (such as CertiPUR being a specific type of foam rather than a certification for foam and innersprings forming “ruts” which generally isn’t the case) but they are just some overzealous marketing and don’t affect the quality or value of their mattress.

As you can see in post #1 here in the simplified choice mattress topic … I would also keep in mind that there is no such thing as a mattress that fits all body types and sleeping positions and the only reliable way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own personal sleeping experience.

Phoenix