Feedback on Zedbed Spirit Mattress & PLB foundation

Hi again,

Our no. 2 need: a king size mattress for my husband and myself (both 6’, > 210 pounds).
Just as a reminder: I personally find that there are limited options locally (aside from the big manufacturers). I like some of the options available online very much but I am reluctant to buy without testing.

Upon some testing, we are considering the Zedbed Spirit Mattress with the following specification (available locally):

1 Fast Response Latex Talalay featuring ZedFresh climate control phase change technology 2 in
2 Fast Response Latex Talalay 1 in
3 Celcar Foam provides the support you need to relieve tension and stress – CertiPUR-US® certified 7.5 in

The foam has a density of 2.2lb according to the person from Zedbed but I do not have other info about the latex layers (blended versus all-natural, firmness, etc.) Both my husband and I tried it several times and we were quite satisfied with it.

Also, we are considering buying the PLB Nature mattress (queen size) for our guest room (tested it but also read the feedback here and found an amazing price). Would you recommend buying a different foundation than the PLB? The store has Zedbed foundations that we could order for example.

Any feedback/comment will be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.

Hi manazca,

The top layer would most likely be Talalay GL fast response (because of the phase change description) and if I had to guess I would say that the layer below it may be either the same or blended Talalay but either way they would be high quality and durable materials.

The 2.2 lb polyfoam base layer is also a high quality material.

If you have done some careful testing for PPP then knowing the ILD’s of the layers wouldn’t be important because your body will tell you more about whether the mattress is a good “match” for you than knowing the ILD’s anyway.

Overall … there are no weak links in this mattress and if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and it compares well with any other mattresses you are considering based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering as a purchase.

The PLB Nature uses Talalay GL fast response in the top layer and blended Talalay in the other layers which are both high quality and durable materials so there are no weak links in this mattress either.

You can read some comments about the PLB foundation in post #44 here and the posts and pictures it links to and I would seriously consider using a higher quality and more suitable foundation yes.

Phoenix

We ordered the PLB mattress with the standard Zedbed foundation Zedbed uses for their latex mattresses (even though slats are at 5’’ apparently…)

I feel totally discouraged though. For our bedroom (king-size mattress) the only latex-based mattress I can find locally is the Zedbed one (we looked at the Spirit that’s less expensive since not all latex). FYI that store is closing now (http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1255341-family-owned-simmons-mattress-gallery-closes-sleep-shops) :frowning: The only store to the best of my knowledge carrying this type of mattresses… I discovered a kid-products store (nurtured.ca) offers the option of ordering an adult Sleeptek Classic 2000 series product 6’’ for almost $3,000 :frowning: And that`s it … I see so many options available in other cities and I feel helpless.

We can still order the Zedbed this week but we won’t have any trial period, obviously (warranty would still go through Zedbed). I just can’t make up my mind even though we both tried it multiple times and I re-read the tutorial … Probably I am terrified of another bad choice (our current mattress is only 4 years old and we cannot stand it! - made by one of the big S for Sears)

On the other hand, I look online and there are multiple attractive possibilities (e.g., I’ve been browsing Sleepy’s, MFC, etc.). But I cannot even decide on a mattress we tried!
Not even sure what I want to ask … I guess I am just venting, sorry :frowning:

Hi manazca,

Thanks for the heads up … and I’ve removed them from the Halifax list.

[quote]We ordered the PLB mattress with the standard Zedbed foundation Zedbed uses for their latex mattresses (even though slats are at 5’’ apparently…)

I feel totally discouraged though. For our bedroom (king-size mattress) the only latex-based mattress I can find locally is the Zedbed one (we looked at the Spirit that’s less expensive since not all latex).[/quote]

If you’ve tested the PLB Nature and it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and you are happy with the price and have have already ordered it … I’m not clear about why you are still continuing to look at other mattresses or why you are discouraged. Could you clarify what it is that is concerning you?

Phoenix

Sorry for my lack of clarity. The PLB is for our guest room (queen size). The king mattress would be for our masterbedroom.
I think I feel overwhelmed because the only option I could find with latex locally is the Zedbed from the store that’s now closing. We need to order it today at the latest and we won’t have any trial period included as the store will be closed. I am not 100% sure of the PPP fit of that mattress. But no other option to compare with within our budget (they have an all latex mattress too outside of the budget we had in mind).

I read again this forum about online purchases last night. Looked at the Allegro for example, the fliptop bed., etc. But I think it is just too risky for me buying online given that I cannot even make up my mind about the Zedbed we tried numerous times. The fact that my husband says “it is your choice, I can even sleep on the floor” doesn’t help either!

We’ll possibly go with the Zedbed and hope for the best. I didn’t mention before I think that I suffer from chronic headaches and neck pain so the mattress we pick we’ll be quite important.

Hi manazca,

OK … now I understand.

In the end you really only have two different options which would be either a local purchase or an online purchase (possibly from one of the suppliers in the online list for Canada I linked previously). When there are limited options available locally then an online purchase can make a lot of sense but only you can decide whether you are comfortable with an online purchase.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress and how to minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here that may be helpful.

If you have neck pain then the pillow you sleep on may be very important as well. It’s quite common when you buy a new mattress where you sink into the mattress more or less deeply than the old mattress you are used to sleeping on that you may need a new pillow as well to keep your head and neck in good alignment. There is more about pillows in the pillow thread here.

Phoenix

Thanks very much, Phoenix. Excellent suggestions as always.

Feel free to ban me from the site but I have another question :blush:

We went back to the store (I love that store and the lady who’s been dealing with us; so sad they are forced to close…). Anyway, we tried the all latex mattresses made by Zedbed even if way above our budget to see how we might feel about them. It turns out that both of us like the Cadence mattress! With no reservation (except the price, of course). This complicates my life even more as it makes me believe that the reason I am probably not that excited or quite sure about the hybrid Zedbed we are seriously considering is because it is not the one … I mean, I want to like it as it is the only option available locally within our budget … But if price wasn’t an issue we would have ordered the Zedbed Cadence by now.

This brings me to my question: is there any meaningful way to compare that mattress (http://www.simmonsmattressgallery.net/wp-content/uls/Latex-Cadence.pdf) with the Allegro or other mattresses available online and hope to get a similar product? I read your posts about this issue and I know it is a long shot … Still wondering if Allegro might come close (as it is certainly more affordable). The fact that none of the manufacturers provides all the info (proprietary info) makes the comparison even more challenging for someone like me. I might contact Mario from the MFC too but I wanted to have your opinion.

I really truly appreciate all feedback you’ve been providing as well as all the rich information available on this site.

Hi mamazca,

Legitimate questions are what the site is all about and would never be a reason to ban anyone and they are always welcome :slight_smile:

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here. In many cases you can make some very general comparisons if you know the specifics of the layers and components in each mattress but not in specific terms because even smaller differences between two mattresses can have a surprising effect on how the mattress feels and performs. In general terms you will “feel” more of the upper layers in a mattress than you will the deeper layers so if the top 3" to 6" are the same in terms of the type of latex, the thickness of the layers, and the firmness of the layers and the cover and quilting is also very similar then there would be clear similarities between the mattresses even though they will still be different from each other. Some people are also more sensitive than others and will notice smaller differences more than others that are less sensitive to smaller differences between two mattresses.

In most cases … a knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer will be more familiar with the mattresses they sell than anyone else and would be in the best position to provide guidance about how their mattresses may compare to other mattresses that you have tested where you now the type, thickness, and firmness of all the layers.

Phoenix

Phoenix