Feeling Overwhelmed - phoenix, anyone, help request

Hi mjgh06,

I think we were posting at the same time and I didn’t notice your last reply until just now.

While I can’t speak to which combination of materials will be the best match for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP or which one you would sleep best on … I can certainly make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials in each of them based on the quality/durability guidelines here.

[quote]Option #1
2" 4 lb memory foam
2" 5 lb memory foam
3" 2.3lb polyfoam
3" 2.3lb polyfoam[/quote]

These are all good quality materials that would be suitable for your weight range and there are no lower quality and less durable materials or weak links in this mattress.

[quote]Option #2
2-2" 5 lb memory foam
7" 1.8lb polyfoam[/quote]

Same comments here.

[quote]Option #3
2" 4lb gel infused memory foam
2" 4lb memory foam
8" 2lb polyfoam[/quote]

Same comments here.

[quote]Option #4 (below customizable density)
1.5" memory foam
3" talalay foam
8" convoluted base foam[/quote]

Same comments here in terms of durability although I would want to know the density of the base foam and I would also confirm that the top layer was memory foam rather than polyfoam. I would also want to know the density of the memory foam (if that’s what it is) although the thickness of thetop layer wouldn’t be enough to be a weak link in the mattress even if the memory foam was lower density than the guidelines would normally suggest. This would have a different “feel” from the previous mattresses because it uses latex in the middle layer underneath the memory foam (if it is) which is close enough to the surface that you would feel the difference between the more resilient latex transition layer and the less resilient memory foam that is in the same position in the previous mattresses. There is more about the general pros and cons and differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here.

[quote]Option #5
1.5" 13ILD (3.3lb)synthetic dunlop foam
1.5" 4lb memory foam
6" 1.8lb polyfoam[/quote]

Same comments here in terms of durability. This mattress has the latex even closer to the surface so the “surface feel” would be more resilient (springy) but because the layer is thinner you would also feel some of the slower response and “sinking in” feel from the memory foam underneath it.

It would be reasonable to expect that any of these mattresses that are inside the comfort/support range that is suitable for you and aren’t either too soft or “on the edge” of being too soft (see post #2 here) would maintain their comfort/support for 7 - 10 years and from a durability perspective would be well worth considering.

While it doesn’t have any lower quality materials or weak links so I wouldn’t exclude it as an option … option #3 would probably be the least durable of these 5 choices because it uses 4" of 4 lb memory foam rather the thinner layers of 4 lb memory foam in combination with higher density 5 lb memory foam or latex which would both be more durable materials.

Phoenix