Feeling totally overwhelmed by all the choices…..

Prior to stumbling upon this site I never guessed choosing a mattress would be so involved. Holy smokes, I’m drowning in all the information and the pressure to make the right decision.

I’ve spent hours reading the tutorials, pouring over the forums, etc and still haven’t managed to make the purchase. Thanks (especially to Phoenix) for all the wonderful information but please help me make sense of it all!!!

Background:
I’m 5.5", 150lbs, 45yrs old, back & side sleeper with occasional lower back pain
Husband is 6ft, 220lbs, 45yrs old, back & side sleeper
Current bed is a sagging 10+ year old, Simmons “Belmont” queen, plush pillow top, medium-firm……horrible. A mistake. Only felt good the first 6 months.

Our mattress quest started Labor Day weekend by going to several local shops (zip: 21704), where I thought we would “get the best deal”. We entered asking for innerspring but after trying just about every mattress in the store, realized that we liked the feel of the hybrid Restonic and Tempurpedic the best but both came with heavy price tags ($1,600 & $2,500) and lots of sales pressure. Hubby was ready to sign on the spot (he hates shopping & is desperate to change our current mattress) but I felt compelled to do more research which lead me to your Mattress Underground site. I’ve learned all about the layers, density, the 3 S’s, not to be fooled by holiday “sales”, etc. and am now ready for an online purchase.

Mattresses from the following all seem to be rated well but how do I really know which to go with when you can’t test them out:
Brooklyn Bedding
Dream Foam
Tuft & Needle

I know mattresses are all about preference and what feels good to one might not to another but how does one know the difference in feel between the above 3? Is there a huge difference in feel from a “Best Mattress” in the $700 range and an “Ultimate Dream” in the $1,700 range?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. Sleep EZ sounds good as well but have too many choices.

Hi bedhunterMom,

There is certainly a lot of information on this site and if you focus too much on all the technical information here it can become overwhelming and lead to information overload or paralysis by analysis.

I know that you’ve read the tutorial but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it in “real life” and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability and PPP (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Your “final choice” will always come down to asking three questions about any mattress you are considering …

1. How well am I likely to sleep on this mattress? This can only be answered based on your own careful testing or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience. In other words … your body will tell you the answer to this question.

2. How long am I likely to sleep well on this mattress? The most reliable way to answer this is by making sure you know the information listed here and then comparing the materials to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to your body weight.

3. How does the overall “value” of this mattress compare to the other finalists I am considering? This can only be answered by knowing the answers to #1 and #2 and comparing the mattress to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price and the options you have after a purchase if your choice doesn’t work out as well as you hoped for).

When you are looking at online options and you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I would also keep in mind that assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general will be based on some local testing of different types of mattresses to see if you have a preference of one or more types or materials or mattresses over others.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of whether anyone else has the same criteria or would make the same choice.

All of the mattresses you mentioned would certainly make good quality/value choices and once you are down to a list of finalists and you are confident that they would all be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability (which there aren’t) then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and (post #2 here) can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional “value” extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply and wealth of knowledge when it comes to mattresses. All greatly appreciated!

Just wanted to follow up and let you know we purchased the “Best Mattress Ever” from Brooklyn Bedding about a month ago and have been sleeping soundly since. Both hubby & I feel our sleep on the new mattress has been much deeper and wake up feeling well rested in the morning. Had my hesitations about latex but love how it conforms to the body just enough without feeling like you’re sinking to the bottom.

The only flaw/inconvenience I would find with this mattress is the weak side support. I rarely sit on the side of the bed so the only time I really notice this weakness is when I get out of bed in the morning. That’s when I feel the mattress sink down. Definitely not a deal breaker to me but this might be more bothersome to someone else.

Again, thanks again for all your input and for giving me the “courage” to buy a mattress online!

Hi bedhuntermom,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding … I appreciate it.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :).

This is common with most foam mattresses that don’t have or for most people really need edge support when you are sleeping but as you mentioned it can take a little bit of getting used to or involve a change in “technique” if you use the bed for sitting or when you get in and out of bed.

Phoenix