Fell in love with latex! Need some advice!

UPDATE ON MATTRESS HUNT!

My wife was convinced that the memory foam was the route to go since she wanted the support. The Simmons Comforpedic had the plush feeling that I was looking for but my wife felt that it was too soft. She felt like she was getting stuck in the mattress. We then went and tested the BedBoss. After laying on the Heir ET (their version of the Tempur-Cloud Supreme) for 15 minutes, I began feeling like the mattress was too firm for my taste. I liked the initial sinking feeling but after I settled, I felt like it was no longer plush. While we were talking, the sales associate said that they thought they might have a couple of latex models on closeout in the back that might provide me with the plushness I was looking for and maintaining the support that my wife wanted. Having done research on this forum, I know that latex mattresses are highly regarded.

The models that they had in the store were the Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful, a 12 inch talalay latex mattress, and the Pure Latex Bliss Pamper, an 8 inch talalay latex mattress. We tried the Pamper first and it was way too firm for both of us. I was about to cross out Latex as being too firm when we tried out the Beautiful. I must admit, the Beautiful felt awesome. I felt like it was plush enough and my wife said that she got a feeling of support that she did not get on the Innerspring and Hybrid mattresses that we had tried. We tested it out for about 20 minutes and both decided that we liked the feel of it better than the memory foam options.

Since they no longer sell Pure Latex Bliss, the Beautiful they have is the older model that does not contain the ActiveFusion (blue on the cover). Being a closeout, the mattress is also sold as is without the possibility of returning it. They said that Pure Latex Bliss should still honor the warranty against defects but there’s no comfort guarantee. The white mattress cover has a little bit of discoloration on it (as my wife said, it is a tad bit dingy) but the sales associate said that the cover could be dry cleaned or laundered. She insured us that nothing was wrong with the mattress itself (the latex) and that they only reason they were on sale was because they no longer carried the brand and were clearing them out to make room for more inventory. She quoted us a price of $999 for the mattress but said that they would throw in a free solid foundation, free delivery, free set up, and that they would move our current mattress to an upstairs room. She also said that if we paid in check or cash that they could drop the price another 10% (down to $900).

It seems like most of the people on here that have experience with Pure Latex Bliss have been pleased with their purchase and I haven’t found much negative about the quality of their products.

I’m seriously considering buying this mattress. Is there anything that I should be concerned about regarding the mattress or the closeout purchase? Am I missing any blatant red flags? I’ve looked around on the internet and the price seems like a very good deal. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Chuckl007,

It sounds to me like you could be purchasing a mattress that was a comfort exchange, a warranty return, a floor model, or was otherwise defective, used, or being sold by a liquidator (in which case it wouldn’t have a warranty).

At the very least I would want to make sure that they are an authorized dealer for Pure Latex Bliss. I would also check the manufacturing date on the law tag to see how long ago it was made and also check carefully for any signs of use or damage…

This type of purchase would have all kind of red flags for me and based on what you have described I would treat this as buyer beware and be very careful.

Phoenix

I got some clarification from the mattress retailer that’s selling the Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful. The owner told me that he was an official retailer of the brand up until this past summer but decided to stop selling the mattresses because of their prices. He said that he was not selling enough of them to justify keeping the brand and that not enough of his customers were interested in a premium latex mattress from a brand that they did not recognize, even though he believed the mattress to be a superior product compared to most of what he sells. He discounted the mattresses that he had left in stock and thought that he had sold them all except the Pamper and Beautiful floor models. He then discounted the floor models even more to try to clear the space but hasn’t had a lot of interest in them. Whenever I expressed interest in the Beautiful floor model, he ran the number and the computer said that he had two in stock. When he went into the warehouse he found that there was one Beautiful model left in a “stack” (not sure what that meant". When he pulled it out, he found that the plastic protector on the mattress had ripped allowing some dirt and dust to get on the right side of the mattress and on the top causing some slight discoloration. He brought the mattress out to show my wife and I and it was still in the plastic, albiet ripped plastic. He said that the mattress is new but has been in the warehouse in the stack for a while. He said that since he wanted to get rid of the mattress he would sell it to me for the floor model price ($900 plus free delivery) but that it was as is and that I would not be able to return it. I guess since he’s selling it as a floor model, the warranty will be disregarded.

I’m still considering purchasing the mattress. Does this seem legit or are there still red flags?

Hi Chuckl007,

I don’t know anything about the retailer you are buying from so this would be one of those situations where you would need to use “best judgement” and decide whether the story is believable. I would also want to know the date the mattress was manufactured.

Phoenix

ADDED: Post #2 here also has some suggestions about checking a mattress that may be used and as Jeff suggested in the next post I would also ask them to remove the plastic (mattresses can easily be rebagged) to check for signs of use, stains, or damage.

Price sounds great… Does he let you look over it all you want - without any sheets?

The retailer has pulled out PLB Beautiful that was in the stack in the warehouse and let us compare it to the floor model. He said he would sell us either for the floor model price. He did not want to remove the entire plastic cover from the one in the warehouse but the plastic had a couple of significant rips so we did a pretty good inspection of it. It is a little dirty but I could not see the flaws of the mattress itself. Overall, it seemed like it was in a little better shape than the floor model. If I were to get one (which I’m leaning more and more towards) it will be the one from the stack and not the floor model.

Hi Chuckl007,

If you are convinced that the mattress is new (and you’ve checked the mattress, the date of manufacture, and checked with PLB that they were a dealer previously), the retailer is reputable and doesn’t sell “scratch and dent” or other mattresses without a warranty, and you’ve tested the mattress carefully and objectively for PPP and it’s a good “match” for your needs and preferences and your personal value equation, then it would seem to be good value to me.

Phoenix

I figured that I would update everyone on my mattress purchase. After contacting Pure Latex Bliss and confirming that the store was once an official retailer (dropped their affiliation in 2012) and inspecting the remaining mattresses (and tags) following Phoenix’s recommendations, I decided to go through with the purchase of the PLB Beautiful that they had in their warehouse. After expressing our concerns about purchasing a closeout model with no possibility of exchange and a voided warranty, the slight dirt and dust stains on the mattress cover from the ripped plastic cover, and the fact that the mattress was manufactured in 2011 and was technically being sold as a floor model, we were able to talk them down from their asking price of $999. We got them to drop the price another $100 dollars for an allowance to purchase a new cover, received a 10% coupon in the mail for the retailer, and we paid in cash which took another 10% off of the purchase. They also threw in a free slatted pinewood foundation (slats are 4in. apart, which I know isn’t ideal but it was free) and free delivery which brought our total down to $728 OTD. After doing extensive research and sleeping comfortably on it for the past two nights, I am extremely pleased with this deal and hope to enjoy this mattress for the next 20 years!

Although the information contained on this site can be extremely overwhelming, I really appreciate that there is a forum where people can inquire about this very confusing industry and buying process. I was unaware that buying a mattress would be so difficult. I’m really glad that I stumbled upon this website to help find the answers to questions that I found mattress salesmen reluctant (or unable) to provide.

Hi Chuckl007,

[quote]They also threw in a free slatted pinewood foundation (slats are 4in. apart, which I know isn’t ideal but it was free) and free delivery which brought our total down to $728 OTD. After doing extensive research and sleeping comfortably on it for the past two nights, I am extremely pleased with this deal and hope to enjoy this mattress for the next 20 years!

Although the information contained on this site can be extremely overwhelming, I really appreciate that there is a forum where people can inquire about this very confusing industry and buying process. I was unaware that buying a mattress would be so difficult. I’m really glad that I stumbled upon this website to help find the answers to questions that I found mattress salesmen reluctant (or unable) to provide. [/quote]

It sounds to me like your research paid off and you ended up doing very well and making a very good value purchase. Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

There are probably many people who have purchased the Beautiful that would have been pleased as well and would have gladly exchanged the warranty for the remarkably low price you ended up paying and the additional “bonuses” you received!

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

Phoenix