few questions on new sleepez bed

bought a new latex bed from sleepez yesterday

the staff was great and felt i got a good deal

considered mattesses.net but needed something right away and that is not an option with them

i had planned on a organic bed or 100% natural but they felt the blended was better
and from reading a lot the past few days it seemed there is not a significant difference as far as organic etc being healthier

so got the blended talalay 10000 and the wood base

i like a firm bed, laid on a few of them and sales rep thought firm/medium/medium would work for me

put it together last nite and it did pretty good for the first nite
slight smell but i am pretty sensitive to any kind of chemical smell and it did not bother me much

seems maybe a tad too soft but will give it the 2 weeks and see, then possibly change one medium for another firm

felt a little like i might be rolling into the middle, would this maybe be an indication of too soft?
or maybe just need time to adjust to this type of bed

thanks for all the great help here

Hi cvincent,

[quote]i had planned on a organic bed or 100% natural but they felt the blended was better
and from reading a lot the past few days it seemed there is not a significant difference as far as organic etc being healthier[/quote]

I would agree with them on both counts that the blended Talalay would likely be more durable and that there is no meaningful difference in their “safety” since both of them have been Oeko-Tex certified with the same testing protocol. Both of them would have some initial smell from the latex.

[quote]felt a little like i might be rolling into the middle, would this maybe be an indication of too soft?
or maybe just need time to adjust to this type of bed[/quote]

It’s possible yes but when you are first sleeping on a new material that you aren’t used to it could also be the more subjective sensations of a new material as you go through the break in and adjustment period (see post #3 here) so I would wait for a few weeks before deciding whether you need to either rearrange or exchange a layer.

If at that time you decide need to “firm up” the deeper support layers then you could either put the firm layer in the middle (with the medium on the bottom) or if you needed it firmer yet you could exchange a medium layer for a firm or even an extra firm.

Phoenix

thank you for the feedback

and all the hard work you put into this site

will definitely give it 3 weeks and then will decide about changes, will keep this up to date on what i do

*** NOTE: This topic was SPLIT from the original topic here. ***

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in here, but we bought the exact same SleepEZ bed and received it about a week ago and we’re also starting to wonder if we might need a layer change or topper. I know it takes a few weeks to fully transition to the new material, but here’s where we are.

I have soft-soft-med (listed top to bottom) on my side, so my 3 layers can’t really get any softer but could be rearranged to be firmer. While I do find it pretty comfortable (I’m actually not all that picky about beds) I also have the feeling you described that I kind of roll to the center of the bed, rather than sinking into the softness, despite how incredibly soft and bouncy this mattress is.

When we tested other brands of latex mattresses in the stores, I felt more like I was sinking in and nestled into the latex, not bouncing and floundering on top of it.

My whole body does sink down, but I’m still getting some pressure points on my shoulders/hips so it doesn’t feel like the latex is conforming, even though there’s so much give. It kinda feels more like I’m on a trampoline than a bed. :slight_smile:

This is not causing pain, but I’m waking up a lot b/c can’t get in a position and stay in it.

My spouse’s side has soft-med-firm and he’s waking up with back pain every day and he thinks he might want softer. We are planning to switch sides tonight to see if he likes my softer side any better. But at the same time, he says it bothers him that when he sits on the mattress he feels the foundation underneath, so then he wondered if he wants firmer. Contradictory I know. :wink: Or maybe he just needs it to be thicker?

So far the above is making me start to wonder about:

a) The cover. It’s a pretty tight fitting cover and the cover fabric is not very stretchy, and it has a little more quilting than I thought it would. We got the thinnest mattress protector possible (the waterproof, sheet-thin Halo type). Maybe I just need to be closer to the latex so I actually sink down some? Should we try unzipping the top so we are sleeping more directly on the latex (with a protective barrier of course) to see how that feels? If we prefer being closer to the latex, should we think about getting a topper with a thin stretch cover?

b) The softness/thickness of the layers: Is the rolling effect I’m having more a result of it being to firm or too soft; or could that also be related to the cover pulling the top surface of the bed taut, keeping me from sinking in much (I’m petite). Do I actually need the top layer to be extra soft (which SleepEz doesn’t have I don’t think)? Or would getting a topper solve this problem as well?

Hi cprice88,

I split your post into a new topic so that two sets of questions that may have different solutions don’t get mixed in together and to help me keep track of each one better.

I think that your issues may be different from cvincent’s because your mattress layering is much softer which would be more likely to cause “roll together” in the middle of the mattress if you sleep close together. A mattress that is too soft is also the most likely (although not the only) cause of lower back pain as well

You are also in the early stages of the break in and adjustment period so if it’s possible I would wait for a few weeks before deciding on any changes in your layers but if anything I would guess that the odds are higher that your mattress is too soft than too firm (possibly on both sides).

There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well (especially about any mattress protector you are using or the support system you have under your mattress).

If it does turn out that you need softer top layers than SleepEZ normally provides (possibly with firmer middle and bottom layers) then you can always add a softer topper.

Phoenix