FIN Ultimate Mattresses as seen on the Today Show. Need opinions

Please help as I am considering purchasing a FIN mattress. Has anyone heard of them? I can’t seem to find them on this forum. They say “Designed and made by Experts 100% from American materials and Components”
While we love our Tuft & Needle mattress, one of us finds it to be too hot and maybe a little too soft.

Thanks in advance!
whatsintoday.com/todayshow/fin-ultimate-mattress
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: whatsintoday.com/todayshow/fin-ultimate-mattress

Hi mo9090x,

Outside of the link you posted there is some information about them on their website here and in the press release here. They are also available on Amazon here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: whatsintoday.com/todayshow/fin-ultimate-mattress| Archived Footprint 2: getmyfin.com/|Archived Footprint 3: pr.com/press-release/640278

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Their mattress includes a 2" layer of latex (they don’t mention the type or blend) and a 2" layer of 4 lb memory foam on top of a 7" polyfoam base layer (they also don’t mention the density) so I would want to know all the specs before considering them. Since any type or blend of latex is a durable material and 4 lb memory foam is also a good quality material if their base layer is at least 1.8 lb density then there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to most weight ranges although I would be cautious if you are in a higher weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) because of the 4 lb memory foam and possibly the base layer (if it’s less than 2.0 lb density).

They don’t have much history behind them and I don’t know anything about the knowledge, experience, or history of their ownership but they are similar to some of the other simplified choice mattresses that are listed in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic (including some of the marketing information and terminology they are using on their site which is fairly “boilerplate” in this category of online mattresses). There is also more information about what I call “simplified choice” mattresses in the first post in the same topic.

There are certainly many good online options available to you (there are several links to lists of some of the better online options I’m aware of in the optional online step in the tutorial) … some of which may be better quality/value choices … and I would personally tend to be somewhat hesitant in dealing with a brand new company until they have some history behind them or at least until I know a little bit more about the knowledge and experience of their ownership and the likelihood that they will still be in business several years in the future.

Like most of the other simplified choice mattresses they have a good return/refund policy so you can try them in in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk (outside of the time you spend sleeping on them). While an online choice doesn’t give you the chance to make many comparisons with other mattresses to see which one may be “best” for you … if for some reason they aren’t at least a “good enough” choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) then you can return it for a refund and try a different mattress.

It’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials but there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a neutral and more comfortable temperature range.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and thanks for mentioning them on the forum.

Phoenix

Thanks for all of the great info Phoenix. I was especially interested if their latex/polyfoam combo could/would contribute to temperature. I get that mattress covers and sheet material content would be a variable, but just want to see if the mattress content does as well.

It sounds to me like they need to establish more time in their history. At this point I’d rather stick with Tuft & Needle or try Brooklyn Bedding.

Thanks again.

Hi mo9090x,

Hopefully the information in the link about temperature regulation answered this for you but just to give you a quick recap of the information there …

While it’s impossible to know for certain because of all the many variables involved and some people can sleep warmer on a mattress that most people would be fine with … out of the three type of foam materials and in very general terms latex will tend to be more breathable and “temperature neutral” than polyfoam which in turn will tend to be more breathable and temperature regulating than memory foam.

Layers and components that are closer to your skin will tend to have a bigger effect on temperature regulation than layers that are deeper in the mattress.

Softer mattresses that conform more closely to your body shape can also sleep warmer because you will also sink into them more so the foam layers will be more insulating and can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

The cover and any quilting materials in a mattress and their ability to wick and store moisture and humidity away from the skin and keep the overall microclimate of a sleeping surface drier can also make a significant difference in temperature regulation as well.

Phoenix