Final advice before purchasing Latex Mattress

Hi rapscalli0n,

[quote]I’ve seen that two environmental factors can degrade the latex: oxygen and UV light.

To prevent damage from oxygen, I heard from a salesman that Latex manufacturers add antioxidants to the material. Are you familiar with the additives for each of the manufacturers? Along this line, are there materials in the cover that also protect from oxygen? I’ve heard that the fact that the mattress is enclosed in the ticking provides protection but it seems counter intuitive when they also say that the mattress breathes to keep you cool. Doesn’t that mean that the air flows through the bed and uniformly degrades the latex throughout? Is wool, cotton, or bamboo better for oxygen protection?[/quote]

There are other factors as well but these are the two main ones. Don’t forget that it is not exposure to air as much as exposure to sources of ozone (more specifically ground level ozone) and ultraviolet light that causes the degradation and thicker covers can help with exposure to both. You can see more about both in these in articles articles such as this.

You can also read a much more about the antioxidants that could be added to latex in more detailed articles like this or subscribing to studies like this or with google searches for terms like “rubber antioxidant” but the specifics of each manufacturers latex formulations are a closely guarded secret. Antioxidents are also depleted over time as they are used up.

I don’t know about any specific detailed studies that have compared specific cover materials or fabrics with their specific effects on different types of latex. I doubt they exist. I would personally consider the experience of manufacturers and others that have worked with latex for decades though as being reliable and it clearly indicates that better quality and thicker covers that protect the latex from light and ozone and other factors that can degrade it through abrasion or chemistry will clearly extend the life and reduce the oxidation of latex. More than this (or information that is available with more detailed google searching and reading many lengthy and often contradictory articles) you would probably need to enroll in a course in rubber chemistry.

This is probably true IMO as well.

If wool is used as a fire barrier then it is used on the sides as well.

You can find some more information about bamboo and wool in the links in post #11 here which may help you decide what to believe (or not) or the level of detail and time you wish to take with your research.

I think that the rest of your questions with the level of fine detail and certainty you are looking for could involve many months or perhaps years of research with the law of diminishing returns being the rule rather than the exception if the links I’ve provided, your own research and google searching, or conversations with each manufacturer are not detailed enough and you need more “absolute” answers (which may not even exist).

Phoenix