Final Components: Topper and Cover

Hi,

I have been reading this site for quite a while and have learned a tremendous amount. Long story short, I have had quite the change in considerations since doing my homework. I was originally going to buy a Westin Heavenly bed since I spend way too many nights a year on these. Then I was thinking memory foam but I sleep hot and that was a deal breaker, though I loved the feel. That brought me to latex and I have been hooked the more I researched.

I am a 30 something male, 5’10" 180-190 depending on how hard I have been hitting the gym. I definitely need as much help alleviating sore muscles between playing hockey, doing Olympic lifting and Crossfit. I tend to sleep on my back and side. I used to be a stomach sleeper but I am forcing myself not to do this anymore.

The components I have decided on thus far are:

5.5" Queen 5.5" Dunlop Latex 3 Zoned Core (from Mattresses.net)
Head and Neck Zone are 31ILD, lumbar is 35ILD and leg is 31ILD

over this would be Queen 3" Blended Talalay Latex Mattress Topper 28ILD (from Mattresses.net)

Now I am look for another 3" of Talalay. My options:

1. 3" 19ILD Talalay (from Mattresses.net)
  2. 3" 21ILD Talalay GL Fast (from Sleep Like a Bear)
  3. 3" 21ILD Talalay GL Slow (from Sleep Like a Bear)

I am intrigued by the Talalay GL as I get hot and this would seem helpful. Additionally the Slow seems like it might appeal for that memory foam like feeling. I am unsure which avenue to pursue. The Talalay GL has a nearly $200 premium over the regular. While I am not opposed to the outlay, I want to make sure there is value in doing so.

Which route would you all go down? If Talalay GL i am not sure between Fast or Slow…they seem very different and tough to compare.

Lastly, I am unsure what to put these 3 layers in. What are some good options here? Mattresses.net has a zippered bamboo wool option. Are there better options available or other types? I think I would want to “feel” the latex so nothing too thick.

If you have any other critiques or pointers, I am all ears.

Thanks again. Great site!

Ryan

I just did a DIY build, check out my topic titled back to the drawing board. Sleepez makes a awesome cover that is not quilted with wool and is a four way stretch cover. really does a great job, and puts you close to the latex and does not alter the feel of the latex, while it also holds all the pieces together really well. Some options for talalay which were not on your list would be ktt enterprises, very friendly people and the best prices i could find on talalay. they even gave me a natural talalay layer instead of the blended and didnt charge me any extra due to them not having the blended piece in stock that i wanted. good luck!!!

Hi ryanneedsabed,

I got tired just reading about your fitness activities. You’re certainly more dedicated than I am :slight_smile:

Latex International is no longer making Talalay GL slow response so it’s not likely that you will be able to order it unless someone still has some old stock remaining. It just wasn’t popular enough for Latex International to continue making it because people that preferred a slow response material generally tended to choose memory foam and those that like the feel and resilience of latex tend to avoid slow response materials. If you can’t find any Talalay GL slow response then it may be worthwhile checking with Ken at Arizona Premium because he may have access to some slow response Dunlop that is made by Latexco.

There would be little difference between 19 ILD and 21 ILD. ILD differences less than about 4 would be less than most people would notice and a difference of 2 ILD is less than the normal ILD variation across the surface of a layer anyway (see here for an example of the differences between 9 measurements in different parts of a core).

The temperature difference in Talalay GL would generally be “slight” (see post #2 here) and may be a less significant part of how warm or cool your mattress sleeps than the type of cover, mattress protector, or sheets and bedding you use.

If you are working on a DIY mattress then I would start by reading option 3 in post #15 here so that you have more realistic expectations of success with your initial layering and the trial and error and learning curve and in some cases the additional expense that can be involved in a DIY mattress. My choices would likely be very different from someone else but if you aren’t working on a specific design as a target that you have tested and are confident is a good match for you in terms of PPP and you are uncertain about the layering that will work well for you then I would use a “bottom up” approach where you can use your actual sleeping experience on a particular layer or combination to help you decide on the next “piece of the puzzle” to add on top. As long as any of the combinations aren’t too soft then you would have “room” to add an additional layer until you are down to very small “fine tuning” choices.

The type of cover would be strictly a preference choice. There is more about wool quilted covers vs a stretch knit cover in post #6 here and there is more about quilted covers in general in post #12 here and the posts it links to. The components post here includes the better sources for mattress components including covers that I’m aware of and if you decide on a stretch knit cover then post #4 here includes the sources I’m aware of that carry them.

Phoenix