Finalizing our decision

My wife and I are 0/3 in buying mattresses and in the process of sending back our sleep number bed, I won’t bore you with the painful details.

We have tested a latex bed and really like it. I have been looking at buying a bed from flo beds. I talked with DEwey and was impressed with his knowledge and confident in a company that has been selling latex beds since 1995,no better value than a company that has learned from their experiences.

MY wife is 5’6 normal weight and I’m 6’2. 185 lbs, both of us have our weight pretty Evenly distributed and we’re both side sleepers.

WIth that in mind we’re struggling with whether or not to buy a 3 or 4 layer mattress. Our fear is buying another mattress we don’t like,we have both observed that we always liked the mattress we tested and bought but found out once we slept on it for certain period of time we didn’t like it.To me, having the flexibility of changing the different layers around decreases the risk we’ll buy another mattress we don’t like plus testing the mattress in the store while laying on it for a few minutes just doesn’t give us much accuracy on what the mattress will actually be like once you buy it.

Plus, I wouldn’t be surprised if the showroom floor demos are specially made for the showroom and the mattresses they sell you are different mattresses.

In conclusion we both like the flo-bed 3 and 4 layer latex and the sleep ez but really don’t know if we would rather have the blended or the natural or the Talalay or the Dunlop. PRice is an issue but getting the right bed is the primary issue ?

Hi Johnkieth42,

I noticed that you registered with your email instead of a username which means that any of the email bots that troll online forums can add you to their spam lists. If you like I can change your username to the part before the @ so that you don’t start getting inundated with spam emails.

Having said that … the first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the best way to make the most suitable choice is with more detailed conversations with the manufacturer or retailer who will know more about their mattresses and which of their options are most likely to be the best “match” for you than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). With your weight a 3 layer mattress would certainly be “enough” in theory so the tradeoff is that more layers (or the optional vZone system in the case of FloBeds) will provide you with more flexibility to customize the mattress before or after a purchase. Whether the cost is worth the additional flexibility for you would be part of your personal value equation. While there may not be other mattresses that are the same that you can test locally … testing similar latex mattresses can also provide some useful reference points to include in your discussions with them. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any local options I’m aware of that may also carry latex mattresses (although again they are not likely to be the same as FloBeds so they could be a rough comparison and reference point).

There is a little more in post #14 here about the pros and cons of having more layers or a thicker mattress but both of these are members here which means that they both compete well with the best in the country. There is also more in post #6 here about the different types of latex and how they compare and post #2 here also has more about the differences between 100% natural and blended talalay latex.

As you mentioned … the most important part of a mattress purchase is always the suitability of the mattress in terms of PPP and when you can’t test a mattress in person the guidance of the manufacturer and the ability to customize it after a purchase and any cost involved in doing so may be an important part of your personal value equation. Both use high quality materials and neither one has any weak links in the mattress which means that your final choice is between “good and good”.

Phoenix

Thanks so much Phoenix. I’m so impressed with this web-site, which is enabling me to have the confidence to make the right decision.

I tried to Chang.e my user nameunder my profile but didn’t see an option to change user name ?

Not sure if this forum allows members to change user name - but saw that Phoenix said he could change it for you. I think it’d be a real good idea to get your email off the main page, and I’m sure he’d be glad to do it for you when he sees that you would like it done.

Phoenix please change my usrername to johnkeith thanks

Hi johnkeith,

Done :slight_smile:

Phoenix