Finally Checked out a Talalay Topper

Hi Clawdia,

If the hip pain is gone with the featherbed then you may have already solved the problem. Is there is something about the featherbed that isnā€™t working for you?

You would probably know more about how you react to different temperatures and cold than I would but I would think so yes. There are many people where temperature can have a significant effect on various symptoms.

I would also be open to the possibility that joints that are outside of their neutral range of motion from a mattress that is too soft can also be the cause of joint pain especially if there are connective tissue issues.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix -

What isnā€™t working about the featherbed . . . for one thing, itā€™s several years old, the baffles arenā€™t holding the contents in place so the fill gravitates towards the edges and requires the bed be unmade, featherbed fluffed and allowed to loft, and then the bed re-made - every other day if not every day. So, Iā€™d need to buy a new, better featherbed if thatā€™s the solution I choose to try long term. I donā€™t feel as though my back alignment is as good sleeping on the featherbed as it should be, although any discomfort from that isnā€™t as disabling as the hip pain has been.

The other negative is that the featherbed keeps me from feeling like Iā€™m sleeping on a latex bed, and I like the feel of latex. I may well have to give up that ā€œlikeā€ in order to gain the needed comfort factor. Believe me, going back to permanently sleeping on a featherbed isnā€™t something Iā€™ve ruled out at this point.

After having hot flashes for 20+ years, especially at night, Iā€™ve been cold so seldom that I no longer have a clue as to how being cold while sleeping makes my body feel. Weā€™ve lived in this house since 2008, and the first time Iā€™ve had the heating vent open in my bedroom is in the past month - always before, I slept so hot that a room in the 60 degree range or even a tad lower felt just fine to me. So I agree that each person should be the best judge as to how temperature changes the feel of their body, but in my particular case thatā€™s not necessarily true - else Iā€™d not have had to ask if it were a possibility that itā€™s playing a role here.

One additional problem may be my body shape - unlike a lot of women, I donā€™t carry my weight in my hips, but more in the belly area, so even though I weigh in the 140 range I have pretty bony hips with very little padding. I also have broader shoulders than the female average. These are genetic factors, as my mother was the same.

The best plan Iā€™ve been able to formulate so far is to try a soft Talalay 3" topper from a vendor with a return policy (that would limit me to SleepEZ, I believe, if I want all natural latex), and if that doesnā€™t work then buy a new featherbed and spend years regretting having bought my Dunlop mattress. I remain unsure what ILD would be best to try, considering how soft my mattress is supposed to be already, but I was paying attention to what you said about every layer playing a role in the system as a whole.

I just saw where youā€™d added:
ā€œI would also be open to the possibility that joints that are outside of their neutral range of motion from a mattress that is too soft can also be the cause of joint pain especially if there are connective tissue issues.ā€

I know youā€™ve mentioned that before, but Iā€™ve had this exact pain in the past from sleeping on surfaces that were too firm. Even lying on a firm bed away from home for just a few minutes has triggered identical pain. I certainly accept the theory of it, but knowing my body as well as I do, I find it difficult to believe that the mattress being too soft is the problem. (But Iā€™ve been wrong before, more than once - hell, more than once a day sometimes!)

Did I mention I donā€™t deal well with failure? :sick:

Hi Clawdia,

While your current featherbed may be old ā€¦ this points to the possibility that a new featherbed or wool topper could be the solution that works best for you. A featherbed or wool topper would likely have less effect on alignment than a foam topper because it will compress more evenly under different parts of the body and it may also have a more ā€œrelaxedā€ sleeping surface than latex.

This may be one of the tradeoffs that you need to make. You certainly wouldnā€™t be the first one that doesnā€™t do as well sleeping directly on a more resilient latex surface.

Again ā€¦ your experience is outside the norm but it seems to me that better temperature regulation could also be pointing to the possible benefits of a wool topper.

Yes ā€¦ unusual body types can also add more complexity to a mattress choice. Sometimes zoning solutions can help with unusual body types as well.

I donā€™t think you have wasted your money at all. You have a very high quality latex mattress that appears to only need fine tuning and itā€™s quite possible that any mattress you purchased may need this as well. At least you have the benefit of having a reference point that you know works so you know there is a solution to your ā€œsymptomsā€ :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I know youā€™re right - there is a benefit to at least knowing one solution that allows me to get a good nightā€™s sleep, that solution being to slap a featherbed on top of the latex mattress. Itā€™s just not the solution I wanted, but far better than no solution at all.

Since Iā€™m totally unfamiliar with wool (except for the itchy clothes my mother used to force on me as a child), Iā€™m more inclined to stay with feathers as opposed to wool, simply because at least I know the featherbed works well and buying wool might end up throwing money away if I didnā€™t like it or couldnā€™t adapt to it.

One thing Iā€™ve realized too is that way back when I loved my fatherā€™s Dunlop mattress, I didnā€™t have the chronic pain issues that I deal with now, and I suspect that comes into play with the range of problems Iā€™ve had with the Dunlop mattress.

I even took my whole bed apart today to get at the Latex Green stickers on the latex slabs just to see what they said - the support layer says 70-75 density, and the comfort layer says the density is 65. I guess that means it really is as soft as it gets, for Dunlop, except for some 55 density Iā€™ve only heard as a possible future product.

Now thereā€™s the question of whether to try a soft Talalay topper, or just be satisfied with feathering my nest, as it were. Something for me to think about for a while. I still plan to talk to Shawn at SleepEZ and see what his opinion is of my set of problems, since given my 'druthers Iā€™d still like to feel like Iā€™m sleeping on a latex mattress, but only if it can feel as good or better than sleeping on the featherbed.

I guess, too, that I can be glad I didnā€™t test PLBā€™s Beautiful model first - I might have bought it and had the same set of problems, and since it costs about twice what I paid for my mattress, I suspect Iā€™d be feeling at least twice as bad about it all! :ohmy:

My daughterā€™s doc also has a latex mattress, and he told her today that latex gets hard when itā€™s in a cool room. I thought that was a quality exhibited by memory foam, but not latex. Which one of us is closer to right?

Hi Clawdia,

It may be worth trying to find a wool topper that had good return privileges so the risk is low if you donā€™t like it.

You are.

Phoenix

So far, Iā€™ve not been able to find a wool topper that was returnable - maybe Iā€™m looking in the wrong place. Iā€™d be willing to try wool if I could do so relatively risk free (paying for return shipping is in my range of ā€œrelatively risk freeā€). Iā€™ll keep looking.

Thanks - itā€™s nice to be right once in a while. :lol: Glad it was my turn and not the doctorā€™s, this time.

Hi Clawdia,

I believe that St Peter Woolen Mill has a return policy if youā€™re not satisfied and Snugfleece does as well (I would confirm the details of both).

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix - Iā€™ll check those out.

Last night was the 3rd night sleeping with the featherbed between me and the latex, and the hip pain is still gone - thatā€™s a really good thing!

Hi Clawdia,

Thatā€™s great news ā€¦ so far so good :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix - it sure does feel better than a week ago, or even three days ago.

I meant to mention that I peeled the mattress cover itself back yesterday and checked the tags on the latex slabs - the 6" bottom layer was labeled 70-75 density, and the top 3" layer was labeled 65 density.

If those numbers are right, that would make it the softest Dunlop made, or at least the softest Iā€™ve seen. Hard to believe itā€™s too firm for me, but itā€™s also hard to argue with how much hip pain I was having, and how quickly it has vanished with the addition of the featherbed.

I did look at the wool you referenced (the snugfleece gets some pretty mixed reviews on Amazon - and yeah, I know how much stock to put in reviews - so, just sayinā€™). Since the featherbed is something I know works, and wool is pretty much an unknown entity to me except for times in my life I hated it, I think Iā€™m more inclined to stick with feathers as opposed to wool. I donā€™t seem to have a dust mite allergy, so that part of feathers/down doesnā€™t bother me.

I am looking at two styles of featherbeds - thereā€™s the baffled style, like the one I have (from The Company Store - their most expensive one a few years ago, 50/50 blend of down and feathers), and one at Downlite called a ā€œEuropean style bag featherbedā€ thatā€™s pretty much just one giant down/feather pillow, the size of a bed. Iā€™m looking at that one because if the baffles arenā€™t going to last, maybe itā€™d be easier to fluff that one on a regular basis than to try to fluff one where the baffles sort of work, making it easy for the fill to shift away from where you need it, but hard to coax the fill back where it is needed.

Hereā€™s a link to the one at Downlite thatā€™s different from all the baffled ones, just in case anyone is curious about it -
http://www.downlitebedding.com/product/SDL100FB0020/
Interestingly, it even references the ā€œprincess and the pea syndromeā€, and comes in a model thatā€™s 50/50 down/feathers and one that is a 25/75 blend.

If I do decide to get a baffled featherbed, itā€™ll be from DeWoolfson Down - these are made just a couple of hundred miles from where we live and look like great quality.

All that being said, Iā€™m still going to call and talk to Shawn at SleepEZ about toppers because Iā€™m not quite yet willing to give up on the feel of sleeping on latex.

Hi Clawdia,

Your latex is the softest molded Dunlop that you would nomally find (the only ones softer would be continuous pour Dunlop) but I would also keep in mind that the featherbed would also be reducing the amount you sink in to the latex while itā€™s adds its own surface softness so this may be part of the explanation as well.

While wool could be an improvement over the featherbed ā€¦ I agree that itā€™s pretty hard to argue with success and if I was in your shoes I would also be very tempted to just replace what was already working as closely as possible.

The idea of baffles is to prevent the down from shifting and migrating and it would stay more even rather than less. I donā€™t know why the baffles wouldnā€™t last unless they were poorly made or sewed.

Having said that the Downlite seems like itā€™s one giant marshmallow and would be very soft but I would think that the down/feathers would shift and migrate over time and the fill would become more uneven without baffles.

I personally would tend to stay with something that is as close as possible to what you have that is working.

Phoenix

I think youā€™re right, on the theory that itā€™s hard to argue with a successful known entity.

Baffles . . . I know the intent, just that my current featherbed hasnā€™t lived up to its advertising. Iā€™ve bought some really good sheets from The Company Store, but their featherbeds just arenā€™t worth the money. Bought one for my daughter when I bought mine that was such a piece of #(%& that they agreed on a return even after use and they even agreed to pay the shipping. Mine was more high priced, and acted as it should for one year, and has gone downhill in a hurry since then - itā€™s only 3 years old, and should be in much better shape than it is.

This is what I think is the pick of the litter, as far as featherbeds -

Hi Clawdia,

Thatā€™s unfortunate and I certainly agree that a good quality featherbed (and the baffles inside it) should last longer than 3 years if itā€™s well taken care of (and I have no doubt you did).

Phoenix