Finally got my mattress from AZ Premium - but having back pain

Yesterday I finally got my pocket coil/latex hybrid mattress delivered. :slight_smile: It was a little longer than the 3-week time frame they quoted. Since I’m local to the Phoenix area, I was able to pick up the latex topper and use it on top of my cheap airbed.

I loved the feel of the soft 19 ILD topper when I tried the different firmnesses in the showroom. I was having major pressure point pain on my old firm mattress and more so on the airbed without the topper.

The first few days with the topper on the airbed were great. But my lower back started bothering me more and more the last couple of weeks. Last night was my first night on the actual mattress, which felt so wonderful when I laid down and fell asleep in minutes. I stayed on my back all night. But when the alarm went off my back hurt so bad I could barely roll out of bed. It got better as I moved around, so I know it’s the mattress.

Anyone else had this experience with soft latex? Should I get them to exchange it for a medium or even a firm?

Hi Suzanne L,

[quote]Last night was my first night on the actual mattress, which felt so wonderful when I laid down and fell asleep in minutes. I stayed on my back all night. But when the alarm went off my back hurt so bad I could barely roll out of bed. It got better as I moved around, so I know it’s the mattress.

Anyone else had this experience with soft latex? Should I get them to exchange it for a medium or even a firm? [/quote]

You will find that there will be others that will have had almost any experience or “symptom” that you could have on any type of mattress or material but the reasons for them may be very different because each person can be very different in terms of PPP and their own specific needs and preferences.

There is more about the different symptoms that people can experience on a mattress and the most common reasons for them in post #2 here but there will be an initial break in and adjustment period with any new mattress as the cover stretches and loosens a bit and the foam layers lose any of their “false firmness” and your body will also need to get used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here).

I would generally wait for a few weeks before considering any changes to your mattress and if after that you are still experiencing “symptoms” then of course I would talk with Arizona Premium about the type of changes that would have the best chance of success. It can be surprising how much your experience can change over the course of the first few weeks of owning a mattress.

Phoenix

I have hte same bed with 28 ILD medium topper and it’s a bit firm for my taste, im heavier thouh (220) and a side sleeper. I think 19 ILD might be too soft for a Back sleeper. Im thinking of swapping to the 19 ILD myself, but Im concerned it might get too soft after a year or two and the 28 might be just right. Having pillow issues right now though so I can’t properly evaluate until that is sorted.

Hi Elderblaze,

Latex is the most durable foam material so ongoing softening past the initial break in period wouldn’t be an issue I would be concerned about unless the 19 ILD latex was so close to the edge of the comfort/support range that was suitable for you that even the very small amount of softening over time that wouldn’t normally affect people and that was normal for latex would be enough to take you over the edge.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, I went ahead and ordered the 19 ILD comfort exchange. We’ll see how it works out. I don’t have any back pain on the 28 ILD, I sometimes have mild hip discomfort, but i really feel like my shoulders do not sink in enough, and it feels like the shoulder area has alot of pressure on it, this does cause me to toss and turn a bit, and wake up with “sleep” limbs. I do have some anxiety of over this bed now, as im worried that maybe 19 ILD will be too soft or worse, and it’s such an expensive purchase.

The guys at Arizona have been very helpful and accommodating though, no complaints there. They did offer to make a split topper with 28 ILD and 19 for me and my wife, my wife likes the 28 ILD so far, but honestly, she’s one of those people that can sleep on anything.

I did have some problems setting up the mattress at first, and again, the guys at Arizona were really helpful. This particular bed needs to be set up in place, not setup on the floor and then moved. It’s heavy and tends to lose it’s shape if you try to move it. I guess this is true of any “DIY” type sleep system though.

I do wonder why they dont offer toppers for this particular bed in 22 or 24 ILD, I can only assume they tested it themselves and saw no benefit. Being a hybrid style bed with a very firm zoned innerspring system perhaps the differences between 24 and 28 ILD on this core were not significant enough to offer it as an option. They offer this in 19 ILD, 28 ILD, and 32 ILD. But they sell 3" toppers in just about any ILD you can imagine. odd

I’m considering this mattress does it have a sturdy feeling?

I’d love to hear an update when you get the new topper

Grade A, Top quality materials no doubt. Im happy with it, and think it’s a great value, the staff at Arizona is a class act. Fit and Finish is a little wonky though, sometimes the topper moves inside the cover and this requires unzipping and adjusting if you want a perfect looking fit. This may be only cosmetic though, and my wife is up and down all night long with a small infant so it may not be a typical use scenario. Seems like this “issue” may be common with DIY type sleep systems.

The “core” or innerspring support system is definitely very firm, and offers alot of support. It’s zoned so you do feel the extra support in the hip section. The side walls are also very firm and have a good feeling when you sit on the edge of the bed. Ken at Arizona once said he thought the firmness of this innerspring was comparable to a 36 ILD Latex core.

Hi Elderblaze,

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive the softer comfort layer and have had a chance to sleep on it.

For most people a difference of less than 4 ILD wouldn’t make much difference and may not even be noticeable so it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to carry that many toppers with such small differences and would probably encourage too many people to become overly concerned and “analytical” with smaller ILD differences that they thought would make a bigger difference than they really would.

They only have 3 different firmness levels for their 3" 100% natural Talalay toppers so the options for their hybrid mattress are the same as their toppers.

Phoenix

My 19 ILD comfort layer has shipped from Arizona, should be here Thursday, the same day im also getting my Pure Performance Lanoodle. Funny how that worked out.